Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
utilizing KBG dormancy to kill Poa Annua?

Posted by paulinct (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 14:13

Hi Trey,

I have a kentucky bluegrass lawn in CT, zone 6b. I understand that dormancy is its defense against hot dry weather and that if it the crowns get a minimal amount of water then the plants won't die.

I also have Poa Annua, and recently came across a suggestion to let the grass go dormant during the summer to kelp kill off the Poa. That seems like a pretty elegant idea, if it will work.

I can imagine that it would provide a surer kill against the truly annual forms of Poa. But I wonder if it would have any effect on the more persistent forms - do they just go dormant too?

I haven't seen any studies on this, but then again I imagine most of the Poa research is focused on golf courses and other sites where dormancy is not an option. So I wonder if this is just an overlooked option for the homeowner who can live with summer dormancy for a little while.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

P.S. I do plan on applying dimension next month.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: utilizing KBG dormancy to kill Poa Annua?

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Your knowledge on annual bluegrass (AB) is impressive. The ability to eradicate or control AB is very limited, and the money to investigate is quite large.

Those plants in your yard may die, but there is a large seed bank waiting to germinate during September, so a preemergent herbicide (like Dimension) is a must. Another product that has had some success is Ethofumesate (Prograss). This is a postemergent herbicide that is applied 3 times in the fall early winter.

AB loves water and fertilizer, the same as other grasses and the very aspects of management that bring us a nice green color. The biggest key may be sanitation, although in a home lawn, it may be impossible.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

o
RE: utilizing KBG dormancy to kill Poa Annua?

Pre-emergent does not work. Applied 3 times summer,fall, and early winter. If you were to remove poanna with a sod cutter do you think this would work. My other possible solution is to kill off with round up and reseed. Any other suggestions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here