Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crabgrass coming in/mow height

Posted by wianno New England (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 08 at 14:44

Hi, I am trying to go organic. My lawn was planted last year. I put down Organica brand fertilizer this past spring but I must have done something wrong as the crabgrass is really starting to come in strong. I was thinking about letting the lawn "go" (ie, not mow it). Will this be effective at crowding out the crabgrass or will it do more harm then good.

Also, I mow as high as my mower will go (about 4"). The lenght is about 5 days from seed at this height. I mow once a week (for the most part) and 1/2 the grass in the lawn is to seed. Is this OK or am I putting too much stress on the lawn. Should I change my mower height? I really do not have time to mow more often. Lawn appear OK otherwise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crabgrass coming in/mow height

Dear Wianno

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Once crabgrass has germinated in a lawn, the mowing height is not as effective in crabgrass control (a higher height is good for preventing other weeds from germinating, including crabgrass as plants germinate all summer) of these plants.

I looked up the products you mentioned, and there is corn gluten meal in the product. This does have pre-emergence activity on crabgrass, but in my experience this product is not fully effective if it is the primary preventer of germination (if turf is thin, not well fertilized, lots of weed seed from previous years.) This is the challenging part of organic lawn care the condition of your lawn before you start the process and your expectations.

A higher mowing height and not scalping your grass are always beneficial.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o
what is a good pre-emergent?

I realize organic takes a few years, so I am being patient. Maybe next year I will use straight Gluten?

o
RE: Crabgrass coming in/mow height

Dear Wianno,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. I agree, a high rate of corn gluten would be appropriate.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here