Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New sod installed over 40% dead or dying

Posted by mentalpaz 9 california (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 08 at 15:17

I had new fescue sod installed, supposedly the soil was prepped over 3" with topsoil etc. I water regularly a couple times a day since I live in a extremely hot and dry area in southern california. The lawn looked great for about a week and a half then it began to turn brown in large sections. The browning is entire pieces of sod dying in rows. What if anything can I do to try and save whats left of my lawn ? and how do I patch the dead areas with-out tearing it all out and starting from scratch ? I'm under the gun with my HOA over the brown grass.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New sod installed over 40% dead or dying

Dear Paz.

Thank you very much for your inquiry. The first thing I would do is to look under the brown areas. Is it wet or dry? How does it compare to the areas that are still green? Something is obviously different and you need to be a detective and figure it out. If the watering is with an underground system, the coverage of the water would be a likely suspect.

Can you send a picture? We can do this together.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o

I am in the exact same boat as Paz... Hot So Cal, Sod looked great, and now it's browning - quickly. I watered like crazy at first - 3 times a day, then 2x a day for next week, then daily for a week, and then every other day - "deep watering" each time. Since it started browning, I cranked the water back up and still getting worse.

Well prepped soil, starter fertilizer and put regular grass fertilizer after a month ( per sod company's instructions.)

Help! I can't afford to redo!

o

similar problem here- not 40% YET! our sod began drying/dying from a very small patch and is spreading... over the past 1 1/2 weeks, doubled in size. all other sod in yard is lush, growing healthy. fertilized/watered per directions. dug dead area for grubs- no sign. purchased 'seven-5' and contemplating this treatment but without signs of grubs, don't want to if unnecessary. have photos- please help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here