Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best type of mulch to use for seeding a new lawn

Posted by eddie_il 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 08 at 18:12

Yard Doctor,

What is the best type of mulch to use when planting a new lawn? I've tried straw but it can be annoying and bunches up due to the wind. Is peat moss or some type of compost a good alternative? It seem like it would take a lot of work to spread this evenly. I know some people prefer not to use anything. I guess the time of year and amount of rain may be factors in what to use.

Thanks for taking our questions!
Eddie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best type of mulch to use for seeding a new lawn

Dear Eddie,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Mulching helps if you do not have readily available irrigation, sloped ground, or germination conditions that are suboptimal.

Appropriate mulches are straw and paper mulches. Avoid peat and composts with lots of peat as they will hold too much moisture.

Straw is as effective as any, but any windy conditions are challenging if the straw is not wet. String spaced 4-6 feet apart and criss-crossed will hold down the mulch.

A good paper mulch to use is called PennMulch (there are others that are good as well). Do not spread it on too heavily. It can put down dry, and then it will expand during watering.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o

Trey,

Would mushroom compost be an effective mulch? It doesn't seem to be too dense so air and water should travel easily through it and I would think the grass would be able to easily grow through it. I'm not sure how effective it would be at holding moisture. My interest in mushroom compost is that if can act as mulch and also provide organic material to the lawn then I can kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks for the advice on the straw and PennMulch.

Eddie

o

Dear Eddie,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Compost can be a nice addition to a lawn. For my money and time, I would get the grass germinated and then add the compost after 30-60 days. If it is a new lawn and it can be thoroughly mixed with topsoil, that is a different story.
Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here