Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best way to get rid of zoysia

Posted by amy2202 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 21:03

I asked this on the lawn care forum and didn't get much response. My problem is I have a large lawn (approx. 2 acres) but a portion of it is zoysia that stays brown until late in the season, I would like to kill it and reseed with new seed to match existing lawn( KBG, Fescue, and Rye combo).
My questions are:
1: When is the best time to do this?

2: What is the best way( Round-up, sod remover, other)?

3: How long should I wait to seed?

I am sure there is more questions to follow but this is a start

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best way to get rid of zoysia

Dear Amy,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. My suggestion for removing the zoysiagrass is to target a seeding for early September. In mid August apply Round up to the zoysiagrass (and about 3-5 feet outside and apparent area). Flag the area in the form of a square or rectangle for ease of operation. After seven days, cut the rectangle out with a sod cutter and perform any soil changes you need. In the week prior to seeding check the area for regrowth. If there is any, apply Round up again. (You can actually apply this up to and during the seeding process with no ill effect on the seed. The roundup only affects living tissue, the seed by definition is still dormant until it imbibes water and starts the germination process. This can be an effective way of controlling a difficult grass like zoysiagrass or bermudagrass.)

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o
RE: best way to get rid of zoysia

Dr. Rogers, Thanks so much for the reply.
Do I have to cut the dead Zoysia with a sod cutter or can I just seed over it? I was hoping to make it as easy as possible.
What seed brand do you recommend for the reseeding and overseeding in the fall? I used the Scotts Premium but it was very expensive when I used 6 large bag.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here