Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I get Burmuda grass out of my Marathon grass lawn?

Posted by brownthumb33 southern california (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 23:10

We live in the Los Angeles area and had Marathon grass sod put in about 9 years ago. Last year I noticed Burmuda grass growing in a corner of the back yard. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it? Will it eventually take over the yard? We also have lots of crabgrass growing and I wonder if I use crab grass killer to spray on it, if this will also brown out or kill the marathon grass around it? Thanks!

PS. A neighbor told me that if we a gardner, that the grass and weeds from the other people's yards that they mow, gets 'seeded' into out yard from their mower. Is that right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I get Burmuda grass out of my Marathon grass lawn?

Dear BT33

Thank you very much for your inquiry. I suggest you buy a product called Acclaim extra (fenoxaprop-ethyl). It will take out crabgrass easily, and with repeat applications 2-3 weeks apart will knockout the bermudagrass. You will need to go to a turf specialty/supply store (like Lesco) to get this product, I believe.

Seeds and stems do travel via vehicles and water. There is little to do to prevent it. It has been happening in nature since the beginning.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers, The Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor, YardDoctor.com

o
RE: How do I get Crab grass out of my Marathon grass lawn?

I had a marathon lawn sodded about one year ago....crab grass is beginning to take over....can you help me get eliminate this weed without damaging the marathon grass?
Thank you.

o

I recently planted Marathon seed in my front yard. The grass came in nicely but a lot of weeds with it. How can I kill the weeds without hurting the grass?

o

theres a product i saw at homedepot that was design to kill Burmuda grass and doesnt kill ur other grass. im not sure of the name but it is a purple bottle and it was like 18.95 and u connect to ur waterhose.

o

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/lawn-care/products/bermudagrass-control-for-lawns

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here