SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethm78_gw

severe soil correction question

bethm78
17 years ago

We bought a house on 1/2 acre. The previous owners did not want to deal with a lawn so they paved the whole lot. We have torn out all the old asphault (18 years old), brought in 4 truckloads of dirt and 2 loads of compost, aerated mixed and raked. We seeded 3800 sq ft with 25lbs of bermuda seed on July 13(with 2 bags of lawn starter sewn in)and the battle began. The temps were high and the seed was germinating in 3 days so I was relieved. Since then some spots grow, some don't, some are yellow some are not. Some spots died (by what looked like stress or fungus). Some of the grass is still only 1/2 inch tall While other spots are fine. I have repeated lawn starter application (recommended by the local nursery). Nothing has worked. I had a ph test performed (with soil taken from various spots where the grass is still short)and was around 8.5. I have applied ironate and liquid soil acidifier +iron. When the grass goes dormant can I throw on acidfied compost without burning? Or what should I do? Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Beth

Comments (3)