SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpgreen

Alternative turfgrasses

bpgreen
17 years ago

I'm a transplant to Utah, and I'm amazed at how much water is poured on lawns here.

My current lawn is mostly Kentucky Bluegrass (KBG) with some fescue. I water deeply and infrequently, and if parts of the lawn go dormant in the heat of summer, I can live with that.

I've been overseeding with native grasses (Streambank and Western Wheatgrass) for the past few years, but the natives haven't been outcompeting the KBG as I hoped. I think part of the problem is that the overseeding time is about when the moisture picks up and the KBG starts perking up again.

I've also decided that I don't necessarily need to use only natives, so I'll be seeding some crested wheatgrass along with the native wheatgrasses this fall. I'm also considering blue grama, at least for my hell strips. I don't think the climate here is conducive to a lawn of warm season grasses, but even the native grasses go dormant in the hell strip.

I'm reluctant to kill my entire lawn to replace it, but I'm wondering if that's the approach I need to take.

What do you think I should do? I'll probably be seeding in a week or two.

Comment (1)