Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mostly Weeds

Posted by bobbobnj NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 2, 06 at 17:18

I have a section of lawn newly seeded last fall. Grass came in ok and I overseeded in the spring. I used no weedkiller as I was trying to go mostly organic. Well, my lawn is now about 70% weeds including lots of clover. I do have old fertilizer with weedkiller, turfbuilder plus or something, that's been in my garage for a couple of years. I might as well use it instead of throwing it away. And before it exlodes. Can I use it now and seed again in a few weeks, or seed now and use it in the spring, or throw it away?
I've seeded with sun and shade and kentucky bluegrass. It's a very sunny spot all day.
I can grown anything and everything but grass.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mostly Weeds

Dear Bobbob,

Thanks for your inquiry. Now is a perfect time to establish grass. My advice is to seed the lawn and then go in with your Turfbuilder II on the same day. After two weeks, check the lawn again and then reseed any bare areas (seed is the cheapest part of this operation as you have figured out by now.) If you have more weeds in mid-October, apply a chemical like Trimec and control the remaining weeds. I would strongly suggest another round of fertilizer at this time. Mow the turf when it gets to 3 inches and begin to mow regularly. This will help with weed control. By next spring if you are mowing and fertilizing on a regular schedule your ability to control weeds with organic products or by hand will increase greatly. If there is high weed pressure and summer conditions, grass establishment without weed control can be very challenging.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers
The Yard Doctor

o

Trey,
Thanks for the response.

I just want to make sure. I can seed and use a fertilizer/weedkiller the same day?

Thanks

o

Bobbob,

With the chemical you are talking about, you can fee, weed, and then seed all in the same day.

Trey Rogers

o
Mostly Weeds

I moved into my house just over 2 years ago. The house was vacant for a year before that, so my husband and I have had a hard time with the lawn since day one. We have St. Augustine grass, and its mostly dead. The only thing that grows is weeds, and even after I spray for weeds they come back in less then a month. Is there something else we should do? Apparently there are no seeds for this type of grass so we cant put seeds out either. Is there anything we can do? or is re-sodding our best option?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here