Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing with 10-10-10

Posted by sharpclaws z5 NH (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 5, 06 at 18:04

I talked to a person that had a beautiful lawn the other day and asked what he used. He told me he used the cheap stuff from Home Depot. It is 10-10-10. He said I can put down as heavy as I want every 8 weeks. He said that was all he did and has beautiful grass. Is this fertilizer any different than the 4 step I'm on now? It is defenitely cheaper, but if it works I would love to try it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing with 10-10-10

Dear Sharp claws

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Fertilizer is fertilizer we like to say, it will all work and none will work if you know how (or dont) to use them. A product like 10-10-10 can work, but it going to require frequent reapplications, as noted. The biggest plug for some of the turf fertilizers is the combination of nitrogen sources that provide a longer type control. But, if you can go to your lawn every 3-5 weeks with a regulated dose of a soluble nitrogen source then it will work fine.(now you are treating your lawn like the golf course and stadium guys). Please remember that s fertilizer with a highly soluble nitrogen source (like10-10-10) will have burn potential and will need to be watered in and not used when it is really hot and dry outside

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers
The Yard Doctor

o

How much of 10-10-10 I should use for growing tomatoes and greenbeans.Can I also use it for straweberries etc.? and how often? Thank you

o

I moved into a new home last year with a huge backyard (8,000 sq ft.) it came with no grass. I was told the seller had seeded the yard but I waited and waited. It is now March of 2011 and I desire to have a yard full of grass. I do have that nasty VA clay and I was told to get about 10 bags of lime and lime down the yard until it was gray - over seed and water. I was further instructed to use one bag of 10 10 10 for the entire yard. Will that's all I need for that amount of sq footage? Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here