Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Product comparison

Posted by mcdermott (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 4, 06 at 22:00

I recently purchased a John Deere L135 riding mower. I've noticed problems with grass/leave clippings coming out from beneath the mowing deck when I have the rear bagger attached. I contacted JD regarding the problem and they recommended several ideas, none of which applied. I've considered returning the mower and purchasing a Cub Cadet 1045 w/ bagger attachement. Is this a wise idea.

Thanks
McDermott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Product comparison

Dear McDermott,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Both of these mowers are great machines and should do the job fine. One question I would wonder is how short are you trying to cut the grass? To keep the grass in its best shape, try not to cut more than 1/3 of the leaf blade off in any single mowing. The amount of clippings will be dramatically decreased and you may find you do not need to bag them at all (just mulch and leave on the grass). It will save you one fertilization per year.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers
The Yard Doctor

o
RE: Product comparison

I have the same machine and have no problems mulch mowing once/week at 3"+. I live in central New England where cool season grasses grow vigurously from May through October thanks to the rain and mild weather.

The higher I go the less clumping observed. Mow in the afternoon when dry and do two passes if necessary. Mowing wet or short in my experience will cause grass clumps to form. I never bag, even before over seeding where I use the opportunity to scratch the soil and add the clippings to my compost bin for a fast green and a good upper body workout.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: This forum has been locked. It will remain open for reading, but will not accept new posts or follow-ups. Thank you.

Return to the Ask The Yard Doctor Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here