Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariava7

H. Lovely Garden

mariava7
16 years ago

Lovely Garden arrived to me like this. A healthy klister...

{{gwi:370321}}

I seperated one decent sized bulblet from the klister and planted it. The rest of the klister went to storage for further enjoyment in the future. I did not want to get overwhelmed by it's many scapes and flowers as I experienced with my Supreme Garden last season.

After a few weeks, Lovely Garden opened it's flowers for me. A 31/2-4" red flower, 6/scape..

{{gwi:370322}}

Very dainty and 'pixie like' (as Veronica Read describes it) flowers...

{{gwi:370323}}

Simply lovely...

{{gwi:370324}}

Comments (33)

• haxuan
    16 years ago

Very pretty, Maria. Thanks for sharing.

Xuan

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

I can't wait to plant mine Maria. =) I saw the picture of Raydio's klister and saw your bountiful flowers from your Supreme Garden and knew right then that I needed to have one of the "gardens" in my collection. I thought it was really expensive at the time but now I think they are definitely worth it. Question though, if you had planted the "entire" klister as an whole, how many scapes do you think you would have gotten? I know for Supreme Garden last season, I think you separated them into three-four separate pots right? =)

Oh and P.S, is it just me or was your Supreme Garden klister bigger than your Lovely Garden?

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

This is exactly what I have, Maria! I DO have Lovely Garden!

Yours is beautiful, just like mine! I love this flower! I was forced to separate my first klister because part of a bulb was rotted, and I had to do surgery. I ended up with three small pots of bulbs, which are all blooming right now.

I got mine from Royal Colors, but it didn't come with a tag... just a paper bag that says "Supreme Garden" on it. Where did you purchase yours, if you don't mind my asking?

And if you could post pictures of your Supreme Garden in bloom, I would love to see it! If you have photos, that is...

I have my second klister planted, and it's budding right now... it should be Supreme Garden, but I'm not sure yet... actually, the first one should have been Supreme Garden... don't get me wrong... I'm not in the least bit disappointed! Lovely Garden is truly lovely!

Those are fabulous pictures, Maria... very clear and detailed! Thanks for sharing them!

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pax...yes, the Supreme Garden klister was a lot bigger than this Lovely Garden klister. I got to seperate that SG klister into 3 8"pots and got 18scapes and 50 plus flowers. The whole blooming process I think lasted for almost 2 months. This LG klister has bigger bulbs though and the flowers are bigger than SG.

Here is the story of my Supreme Garden from RC.

The klister...
    {{gwi:370326}}

The seperated SG bulblets...
    {{gwi:370327}}

The scapes...
    {{gwi:370328}}

The first bloom...
    {{gwi:370329}}

The flowers...
    {{gwi:370330}}

The seedpods...
    {{gwi:370331}}

The plant...
    {{gwi:370332}}

May it be a Lovely Garden or Supreme Garden, these klisters are so worthy to have in your collection.

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

I remember this post about Supreme Garden! =) Wow, I almost wish I had gotten Supreme Garden instead....50 plus flowers!?! Wowza, by the looks of the klister of Lovely Garden, I don't think you'll be getting 18 scapes from that huh? =)

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No 18 scapes from this Lovely garden klister for sure. It is not even 1/2 of the size of that SG klister last year. If I'm right, last year was their first time to have these klisters offered here in US. Thus more mature/older stocks with bigger klisters I guess. This year, they had to release younger smaller klisters just to cope up with the high demand. Paul Romjin of RC has informed me that LG is already out of stock in Holland this season. RC still has Supreme Garden available.

• kalicokit
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing the progression of your SG klister. It is wonderful to see all the stages & your pix give us who don't have it.......yet, a clear idea of what this catagory of hippis are like. Fabulous picture documentation.

• jetak
    16 years ago

Maria
    How delightful your Lovely Garden looks - can hardly wait till you put the rest of the klister in - it should be a sight to behold.
    And the Supreme Garden and those masses of flowers lasting over two months. Whatever the klister cost it is an exceptional value for money.
    Thanks for sharing that beauty with us.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Thank you for sharing that, Maria! Both varieties are simply delicious! I do love my Lovely Garden! The flower color is so even and crisp throughout the bunch, and they stand up so well! I've got a total of 8 scapes, each having about 6 flowers, on my three little pots of bulbs, so far! I expect that they may push up a few more...

My second klister, all in one pot, has 5 buds pushing up at the moment... and I'm sure there will be more! I'm anxious to find out which variety this is! It won't matter, though... they're both extremely welcome in my collection!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

WOW Maria, that is sensational progress. All the plants and babies look so darn healthy. You have the magic touch, m'dear!!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Yes, when I received last year's Supreme Garden and this year's Lovely Garden, I was disappointed. Especially by the Lovely Garden. I just remembered your picture, Maria, with the countless of bulbs and bublets, and both of my clusters are poor. Two larger bulbs and some extremely weak, tiny bulblets that will definitely not flower... I wish you didn't show us your phenomenal Supreme Garden cluster... Now, I feel shortchanged for the same money with lower quality and quantity bulbs. My Supreme Garden from Brent & Becky's was so poor in quality that it did not bring me ANY flowers. No flowers whatsoever, and the large bulbs died. I am disappointed with Brent's. I will never order from them. I am thinking reordering Supreme Garden from RC, but what if they send out this weak cluster again with two larger bulbs and weak seedlings on the side... I don't know if my heart could take it. :o)

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Soultan, my klister wasn't as huge as Maria's, and I've got lots of flowers! Mine had one rather large center bulb, about 2 or 3 medium sized bulbs, and some little babies... it flowered just fine... and the second klister I potted up in one pot wasn't that large, either... but it has about 6 buds total growing right now! I think Maria just lucked out and got an exceptionally huge klister!

I'm thrilled with mine, even though I had to separate the first set of bulbs, and lost one after surgery... I think you should try again, and if you decide not to re-order, I will send you a few of mine after they summer outdoors and recharge... if you'd like some, that is... I'd be happy to share! :-)

• kitty747
    16 years ago

Maria, Those pictures are simply lovely. I ordered from RC today (and swore it was my last order for the season) and thought about it, but didn't - ordered four others though. I have never grown klisters, so my hat's off to you for doing such a fine job. Do you fertilize often (if I may ask)? Great job of documenting their progress. Thanks a bunch!

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Your very welcome! Sorry to just respond now...I have been sick. :-(

Anyway, I'll try to catch up with this post tonight.

First of all, my first purchase of Supreme Garden was from B&B. I also received a poor quality klister that had a rot. It gave me some blooms and that was it. It did not leaf out as beautifully as RC's Supreme Garden and to my amazement last summer, it showed signs of a virus. So beware of where you purchase your klisters.

Receiving a smaller klister does not mean poorer quality. The bigger bulblets would give you 3-5 scapes. And a bulblet as big as a quarter coin can also give you a scape or two.
    {{gwi:370333}}

Just like the other varieties, the klisters love the sun and regular fertilizer. I seperated my klisters so as to give them more space for air circulation, individual bulblets getting more light, and more room for root growth.

Here's Lovely Garden now with 4 flowers opened and 2 buds still to open.
    {{gwi:370334}}

And a "universal" group pic of some of my favorites...
    Lovely Garden (Dutch hybrid), Blossom Peacock (Japanese hybrid) and Alfresco(South African hybrid...You got to love this one. Still blooming on it's third scape!)Gilmar(Brazilian hybrid) should have bloomed and joined in...Lol Enjoy!
    {{gwi:370335}}

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Positively wonderful, Maria! Fabulous group shot! Very colorful!

I think I'm moving Blossom Peacock from my "wish list" over to my "must have" list! What a beauty!

Thanks for sharing, Maria! Lovely, as always!

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Jodi and Maria,

Can you compare yours to these pictures?

I have had these for I don't know how many years. The pot was bulging with bulbs, some below the others. I finally divided them and planted them in the garden. Amaryllis are considered Spring Bulbs here.

The label says Garden Red, so this means they were purchased from Walmart in the spring as a generic Garden Red.

I know nothing other than that...

Just thought I would ask, in case there might be a remote chance?!?!

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Elizabeth! That is a pretty one. Does it's flowers have that "swooping" (as raydio describes it) growth as you can see in the third pic? Both LG and SG have that characteristic.

• kitty747
    16 years ago

Oh, what lovely pictures -- each and every one. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm learning so much. Just came back from the grocery store, and you guessed it, a healthy looking hippeastrum in hand. Will try for a picture of it tomorrow. Just says it's red. That means it could be pink, white, striped, or whatever, but the buds are huge! Will be fun to post the pictures and have everyone guess what it is :-)

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

To be honest, I do not remember. I have so many NOIDS! I was impressed with this one because of the klister/cluster that I had to divide last year because the pot was lopsided...

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Wow! Those are BIG bulbs! And look at all those healthy roots! Your Garden Red flowers almost look a little ruffled compared to my Lovely Garden flowers, and my flowers seem to have thinner petals, and also are the tiniest bit orange-red, and not as deep red as your blooms appear... and your petal configuration seems a bit tighter...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they're a little bit different...

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Thanks, Jodi!

If yours had an orange tint, then these are definitely different. Mine were red, red, no orange...

I suspected that, but I wanted to ask because it is so hard to capture the right red on camera. I usually have to take many, many pictures of my red ones before I get the color just right, just like what I see...

Keep in mind that this started out as one bulb, and that clump that you see had a total of 19 bulbs in it. No wonder the pot was so lopsided, huh? Bulbs were growing under bulbs which was pushing them here and there.

All were completely separate from their mother bulbs, even though they were so tightly packed. This is what reminded me of a klister/Cluster.

Whatever they are, I adore them. I put some in the garden and kept a few in a very large pot (to give them room to multiply), and what can I say? I am thrilled that they are surviving some of these record lows that we have had recently.

If they multiply this well in my garden, some day they will be a sight to behold, huh?

• kitty747
    16 years ago

Well, I gave in and ordered Supreme Garden from RC tonight. Stay tuned . . . But that is it! No more! No more! Nada . . . none. I now am awaiting eight from RC and two from WFF. No more I say! Not even one! There's no room left (not that there was any left to begin with).

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow Liz! Nice klister/cluster you got there. I just don't know if SG or LG would get that big of a bulb. I agree with Jodi about the flower color and shape difference. But that Garden Red would be amazing once they get established in your garden and grows into several klister/cluster and the bloom at the same time!

I think I got to buy one of these "Garden" amaryllis from Walmart also like 1-2 yrs ago. It did had a red bloom and I did not take pics of it. I thought it was just another Red Lion. In fact I did tag it as "Walmart Red". I will go to the garage tomorrow and check it out. I hope mine will grow like yours Liz.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I wish Walmart up here would offer Garden Red! It's a fantastic red with a lovely petal configuration! I just love it!

Elizabeth, if you plant some in your garden, they should form a gorgeous bed of blooms! It may take a while to fill in, but imagine what an entire bed would look like all in bloom! Yowza!

Maria, if yours is the same, you should plant a bed, too! Wouldn't that look fabulous?!! Or don't you think it would survive where you are? Well, even if it has to be in pots, a very large patio pot with a huge clump would look just as good!

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Jodi,

I planted some of them in my garden. They are doing well.

I went to Walmart this morning, and the spring bulbs have arrived. There isn't as big of a selection as there usually is, so I do hope that more will be arriving.

They did not have the Garden Orange, but did have Garden Red and Garden Pink. The picture of the Garden Red looks just like what I have, so I have little doubt that it is. The picture of the Garden Pink is pink with a lighter colored eye.

These bulbs come from Meridian, MS. Meridian was hit hard by Hurricane Katrina, I think, because the spring afterwards, there were few bulbs to be found anywhere.

Anyway, they are a distributor. The bulbs come from the Netherlands, and the company name is Van Zyverden. The bulbs are fairly inexpensive and I guess you get what you pay for... The garden amaryllis are $3.34. Keep in mind that these will probably NOT bloom this year. Most do not, but I picked up another red one to compare. It has at least one scape forming.

Home Depot has spring bulbs from Van Bourgondien. The only amaryllis that they currently have are Appleblossom, Red Lion and Minerva.

The trick to being successful with these discount bulbs is to buy them early and plant them quickly. They are not as big as the ones from online sources or the ones purchased before Christmas.

I love it when spring bulbs arrive!!!!!!!!!!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

The bulbs that arrive in my area every spring are nothing like what you get, I'm sure! I don't even know what they'll have, but I can guarantee there won't be any garden amaryllis! Usually, they try to sell potted and forced hyacinths, tulips, daffodils, and the like... it's depressing!

Most bulbs here are sold in fall, and planted for spring blooming... oh, how I wish there were varieties of hippeastrum that would grow and winter over in zone 5! Perhaps someday there will be, but for now, we settle for fall planting and spring bloom!

Next time I get to the garden center, I'll see what types of bulbs we have for spring planting... I would guess lilies, mostly... but they will be selling cannas, dahlias, and those types of tender rhizomes...

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Jodi,

I suspect that these are chosen for southern regions with higher zones, but then again, there are some perennials in the display that are easily grown up north.

Let's see if I can recall most of them...

Amaryllis, of course
    Peruvian Daffodils
    Iris
    Bearded Iris
    Hosta
    Daylily
    Garden Phlox
    Dahlia
    Elephant Ear
    Gladiolus
    Agapanthus
    Clematis
    Calla Lily
    Canna
    Haemanthus (Blood Lily)
    Rain Lily
    Crocosmia
    Amorphophallus (Snake Palm)
    Crinum (Powellii)
    Gloriosa Rothschildiana
    Cucuma alismatifolia
    Nerien Guernsey Lily (Red and Pink Spider Lily)
    Acidanthera
    Anemone
    Oriental and Asiatic Lilium
    Four O'Clocks
    Caladium

Then there are the bareroots ~~ hydrandeas, Forsythia, strawberries, blackberries, you name it!

Oh, my brain just went dead... I am sure there are many that I have missed. Surely more will arrive later.

Can you begin to understand why I look forward to these?

It's this time of the year that I have to start working more overtime (extra) jobs, so that I can splurge on a few of these beauties.

LAS! Spring is 6-7 weeks away for me, and I can't wait. I don't know how you do it?!?!?!!!!!!!!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

It's not easy! Winter is very depressing for me... it always has been. I look forward to spring every year... it's my very favorite season! I love watching the world come back to life... all the buds begin growing on everything, and leaves begin to grow... and everything is brand new again!

I stopped in at the garden center today, on the way back from Chicago for doctor appointments, and they had nothing but seed racks set up... no bulbs, no new perennials, nothing... it's a bit too early, I think. Can you imagine? I dragged my poor husband to the garden center, after he drove all the way to the city and back, which is about 3 1/2 hours one way! What a guy! All he said was, "Make it snappy, I'd like to get home and rest!" So, I did!

You have quite a choice in your area! We'll have many types of perennials, but not many spring planted bulbs.

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Wow, the forum is so busy that I can barely catch up with all the reading! =) I just wanted to show my pictures of "Lovely Garden" as it opened its first scapes today. =)

The "klister"

{{gwi:370340}}

Less than an month later......
    {{gwi:370341}}

{{gwi:370342}}

{{gwi:370343}}

Lots of flowers and scapes! =) See you all in a week or two. Happy Valentines Day!

• kitty747
    16 years ago

Pax, Just love the way you've shared your Lovely Garden with us, from the bulbs through the bloom. Very beautiful. Looks like spring! Just purchased Supreme Garden from RC. It has three large bulbs (one is size of tennis ball) and three smaller ones (golf ball sized). I'm expecting great things of them.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

pax, I just adore the lighter edges on the buds of your beautiful flowers. Stunning!!

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Thanks ya'll. =) I took the following pictures yesterday, and since then, 6 more flowers have bloomed. Lovely Garden is gorgeous and quite the display to behold....gotta admit though, this garden will be quite overwhelming to pollinate! =)

P.S, I was having a difficult time trying to capture the redness of the flowers. For some gosh darn reason, a lot of the pictures make the flowers look orange...these pictures do not do the flowers justice, the real color of Lovely Garden is of a brilliant red. =)

{{gwi:370344}}

{{gwi:370345}}

{{gwi:370346}}

• dablo93
    16 years ago

great pics all!!
    the flowers looks a like Johnosonii or Puniceum, I have that plants growing as seedlings and they are already clustering:P