Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpbyrd_gw

Betta is shedding

lpbyrd
17 years ago

Why is my betta suddenly shedding? He seems to be fine otherwise. What causes this and what should I do about it? Thanks so much.

Comments (8)

• lpbyrd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am not sure. It doesn't look like fins or scales. It looks like skin. It is like a transparent white stuff . It almost looks like when someone gets a sunburn and their skin peels. It is floating in the water and also hanging off of my betta fish. It doesn't seem as bad today as yesterday. He acts fine. I changed his water on Sunday. I washed the bowl and his rocks and plant. The very end of that huge bottom fin looks like it is broken. Should I try changing the water again? He didn't eat anything tonight.

• woeisme
    17 years ago

It sounds like the slime coat is deteriorating. This is caused by stress from water conditions ( toxins, water temp.), environment change etc. When the slime coat goes it makes fish suceptible to fungus, parasites and disease. It may be a combonation of slime caot loss, fin rot, and/or fungus. Best bet is get a small aquarium 5-10 gallons with filtration and some live plants to start. Fish stand a better chance in a "cycled" tank so toxins don't build. Also proper , consistant water temps. are necessary.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to cycle a tank

• fizgig777 ╰⊰❀ Z7a ❀⊱╮
    17 years ago

He needs to be treated with antibiotics... has a fungal infection of the slime coat... if untreated, he will eventually die... changing the water repeatedly isn't the solution and could be more detrimental than beneficial.

And then, I agree... he needs to be housed in a properly filtered environment.

• kookythecat_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

My beta seems to be going through the same thing and he is living in a 10 gallon aquarium with filtration and a heater. He was fine just last night, then I woke up this morning and his face is covered in a clear white film, same for his eyes making it hard for him to see. It looks kinda like when a snake is trying to shed it's own skin. There is other fish living in my fish tank, a few cardinal tetras, two guppies which are his best friends, a pleco, and a cory catfish. I ust added in the cardinal tetraas yesterday, do you think their water had something in it to make him get this way?

Also where can I find antibiotics if I need to get any?

• Becca Unthank
    4 years ago

I have a Delta Tail Male betta and at the bottom of his fins, they look like they are shredding. He is acting fine and normal except today he didn't eat very much, he has a filter and a heater. What is the best way to keep him from dying? I just got him in December. Please help!

• Anita Baxter
    4 years ago

I've had my boy around 2&1/2 years and this has just started happening

• HU-117430393
    3 years ago

i’ve had mine just under a year and it’s only just started happening now, his attitude has changed aswell and i’m so worried, everything seems to be fine. i had some tetras in there w some diseases however i took them out n kept the healthy ones in there n my betta wasn’t affected by them at all. When i first got him his tail was so big and beautiful and now it’s all slithered and thin and his belly has started to shred silver stuff i don’t kno what to do :(

Sponsored