Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephania_gw

Finally, that neat plant in a photo is here.

stephania
17 years ago

Some great photos could inspire for our desire, me too.

A good friend of mine who visited Kew Botanical Gardens, UK, sent me this photo.

{{gwi:446793}}

It's a really great specimen of Hechtia argentea, so I had tried very hard to find one,

finally, I got it via another good friends, Charlot from Taiwan and GerFi from German.

Months ago, a friend in europe sent me this amazing photo

that took from a habitat in Mexico for request ID.

{{gwi:446794}}

I had no idea what species it should be, but I knew

it was one of the most beautiful Hechtia on earth

and I had to have one, finally I received two small pups of that neat plant,

on the left side, even though they still green now.

{{gwi:446795}}

So, let show some of your special plants that you finally got,

as inspiration from a photo.

Comments (14)

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

I dont have the name of the red one either stephania but the rascal will rip your leg off if you get to close. It likes the hot full sun. I nic-named mine chili powder

• bob740
    17 years ago

Hi Stephania.
    Your posts today are great...good morale builders as we await Spring.That special Hechtia,the rosy-red one is called H.'Nova',on the RareExotics.com site of Guy Wrinkle's. Its the 6th and 7th pic down on the bromeliad page. I think thats an un-oficial name tho,maybe something just thought up to promote a sale. But $45 bucks!
    At least I think its the same plant,looks the same.
    They grow on cliffs near the Pacific coast of Oaxaca,Mex.
    That H.argentea in your photo must be very old,as mine looks nothing like that one.That one must be a grandfather.
    If you have more photos,I'm ready for them.
    Bob

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mexican Chili, HDD ;)

Actually, I guess my plants came from Guy Wrinkle, too, as my friend
    know Guy very well and had plant trip with him in Mexico many times.

This is my baby Hechtia argentea from Charlot.

{{gwi:446796}}

And a closed up of Guy's Hechtia 'Nova' or HDD's 'Chili Powder'

{{gwi:446797}}

• bob740
    17 years ago

Stephania,
    My H.argentea and yours are twins ! same size,same looks. They have a long way to go before they reach 'grandfather's' size. ;)
    I would enjoy a plant hunting trip to Mexico...so much to see,and do,and the scenery,...wow!
    If Guy goes there for plants,I think he sends each one back home by air,first class seating,and adds that into what he charges!! ;^)
    But I guess thats why he named his place,'Rare Exotics'
    bob

• philofan
    17 years ago

More stunning photos--I love all your posts, Stephania.

I have been eyeing that Hechtia on Guy's site, but yes it is pricey. All the plants I got from him so far were very expensive and really tiny--so I can hope they will survive, and if they do, it will take years until they are a respectable size!

I wonder how he gets them back--first class? I thought it was against the rules to bring them across the border.

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually Bob, I got another different looking which labeled
    'Hechtia argentea' from Tropiflora last year.
    The plant has sparsely spines with short rigid leaves and profuse pups.

Here Tropiflora's plant.
    {{gwi:446798}}

And this is an unknown Dyckia ( or Hechtia? as Dyckia should not be found in Mexico)
    from Guy Wrinkle, a striking silvery plant.
    {{gwi:446799}}

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

stephania do you have any of these Hechtia glabra, Hechtia glomerata, Hechtia rosea, Hechtia
    'Red Jalapa'?
    my favorite that I own is Hechtia texensis
    True about the Guy plants pricey, small and fragile.

• philofan
    17 years ago

HDD, I found one of Guy's FAQs interesting if not amusing since my experience has been opposite of what is said here:

I found a supplier of a species at a lower price than what you are listing. Why is this?

Although we do sell some small seedlings, many of the plants we offer are much larger than those offered elsewhere by others. We specialize in large mature plants for collectors and rare plant enthusiasts. Not only are these plants much harder to get, the costs of acquiring them are very high. This is especially true for big and/or heavy plants. Everything we import is shipped in by air and the cost can be very high for this alone. In short, we do not usually sell what is sold by others but rather something much nicer.

I picked up a h. glomerata in San Diego last year--quite showy plants.

• bob740
    17 years ago

Stephania,
    That second photo of your other H.argentea does'nt look much like your first pic,and mine looks like your first pic too.(twins!) You got the second different looking one one at Tropiflora,and I got mine at Bird Rock. I'm wondering where Chrlot's came from? Do you think Tropiflora's is not ID'd correctly,or maybe just different growing conditions? Those widely spaced spines and rigid leaves are quite a difference from Charlot's and mine,which are both more like the original pic you posted.What do you think?
    bob

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think, amongst all cultivated bromeliads, Heachtia is the least known genus.
    There are at least 10-20 kind of them, but quite hard to ID correctly !
    as most of them look alike.

So, HDD, I'm not sure which species I have, except H. rocea, H.glauca,
    H. manier-lapostollei, H.glomerata which have distinguishable characteristic,
    but could say that there are about 15-20 different kind : 12 specimen plants
    including 8 seedlings with different No. of localities data that I've kept in my collection.

I understand, Philofan, as I sometimes do collect plant :
    caudiciforms, succulents in their habitat by myself like Guy,
    so if I was a business man I would sell that high :)

Yep...Bob, I thing 2nd Tropiflora's H. argentea might be another kind,
    may be miss-tag, as Charlot told me that he also got his H. argentea
    from Tropiflora years ago too!

• philofan
    17 years ago

Yes, I have some collected plants of mine as well. High price is not unreasonable to ask for rare plants I agree, but if I should ever sell them, I would make sure they are viable and somewhat "finished" in size (e.g. selling a grass pup for the comparible price of a 2-year old plant is bad business). Maybe the next plant I get from Guy will be similar in size to what I can get from Tropiflora or Michael's. Good luck with those hechtias.

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

I agree philo..I have ummm..paid some very high prices for plants but they were mature, healthy specimens. The price isnt the point if the quality goes with it

• bob740
    17 years ago

Hi philofan,
    I think we've had similar discussions once before re: Guy's plants.I can only go by what I've received in the three or four orders I've placed. Each time,I received nice full grown plants in the Dyckia and Hechtia genera.
    That may have been good luck in ordering at just the right time. Here's a couple of pics from two orders this past summer. I sincerely hope you have a more positive experiance if you ever decide to try him again.I'll give him this,he has some unusual and hard to find plants,and yes,he is deffinetly pricey.I was kidding when I said 'he flies them in first class seating,etc.'...as it turns out,thats what he said he does,in your last post above. (truth is stranger than fiction sometimes ;) )
    Bob
    {{gwi:437442}}

{{gwi:446800}}

{{gwi:446801}}

• philofan
    17 years ago

These are real beauties, Bob. It's amazing the variation they have. The first white ones remind me of taffy.

I'll likely try again, but make sure I find out the size first.

Maybe I'll have time to stop by his place during my drive south in a couple weeks.

Sponsored
More Discussions