Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

'Ci-Edible' Citrange. What/Where Is It?

gonebananas_gw
18 years ago

"Ci-edible" has been mentioned as an exceptionally good citrange (I believe) in the booklet on cold hardy citrus for the southeast, but I cannot find any specific information on it elsewhere, nor a source. Does anyone know of this variety (whose name I hope I have remembered correctly)?

Comments (8)

• eyeckr
    18 years ago

This variety of cold hardy citrus has been difficult to find as well as a few others I am trying to locate. Maybe someone can help locate: Marmaladequat, SanCitChang #10 roundleaf, Glen Citrangedin, Long Huang Kat, Ujukitsu & Yuzvange as well??

• mrtexas
    18 years ago

Marmaladequat = sunquat, I got my m-quat seed from Stewart Nagle(deceased). Long huang kat is not cold hardy and the fruit is late, like January. Ujukitsu is not cold hardy. I have grown all of these and the ujukitsu is the only one that tastes good. Citrus sulcata(sanbokan) another sweet lemon is supposedly cold hardy, but fruit is late, like February. With cold hardy citrus you want early fruit so that the fruit doesn't freeze before becoming edible. Some of these are available at the Galveston County citrus show held the first week in December every year. This is where I got sancitchang seeds. The fruit was pretty good, as good as a grocery tangerine.

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

• Don_OKC
    18 years ago

Hi eyeckr,

I thought a few pics of my SanCitChang might be interesting since your wanting a #10 roundleaf. This SanCitChang specimen was grown from 6 seeds sent by Tom McClendon which were from a fruit Dr. Brown sent Tom several years ago. The sprouts were all monoembryonic zygots and wildly different in leaf form. I grew the seedlings to 1 gallon size and planted outdoors last winter for hardiness testing. After winter only 1 specimen which I call 'Don's Select' survived in good shape and it look's similar to the roundleaf types. Another specimen which had giant pointed trifoliate leaves was alive but in bad shape. The other 4 specimens of which one looked like a kumquat and the others looked like roundleaf were dead.

Since the select SanCitChang seems rather cold hardy the next step is getting some fruiting wood. I have budded the SanCitChang upon all kinds of fruiting citrus in hope of speeding up some maturing wood. Of course all the outdoor budded specimens and the outdoor original seedling specimen will give me more cold hardiness testing too. Most all the outdoor specimens seem to have survived in fair shape after two 6*f lows several weeks ago.

I sure hope my select cold hardy specimen will have good tasting fruit like the one Phil taste tested.

{{gwi:560920}}

{{gwi:560921}}

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Don that top tree is a beauty..it's sooo green and lush.
    Is the second pic something you grafted? I really want to learn how it's done. One day..then I'll make my fruit cocktail tree..LOL..Toni

• Don_OKC
    18 years ago

Hi Toni,

That SanCitChang look's more tropical than a truely tropical citrus like lime in my opinion. It's weird how waxy that SanCitChang look's and man it's sure cool. The leaves have a strong citrus oil when crushed too which makes it seem very tropical. However the darn plant is rather hardy for being only 1/4 poncirus and I would say should be OK in a zone 7 protected microclimate many years.

Budding is easy and there are all kinds of helpful webpages to learn from. Just grow yourself some fast growing practice citrus and have at it. After the first success it's easy but that first one can be hard. Like I say grow some practice seedlings of lemon or whatever and have at it. You'll get there with some practice.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Don, to be honest I've never heard of a SanCitChang, lol, but it sure is pretty..I love the shape of its leaves.
    You mention an oil when crushing leaves..Is this oil used for anything?
    Okay, dumb question..what type of fruit does SCC grow?
    You also say 1/4 poncirus, how and why is that? Is this something you grafted?

Don, yeah, I know there's websites w/grafting, heck, I've got books, too, but I want to see it done..to personally witness someone grafting a tree. from beginning to end.

Funny you should menton about cuttings..I cut a 7" piece of lemon stem off a couple wks back, and instead of tossing it, I stuck it in the soil w/another plant unrelated to citrus..Well, I thought it'd be dead by now, but it's alive and well..so far..this doesn't mean anything, but I wasn't even trying to root a cutting. In a few more wks, I'll remove it and see if it's alive and taken root..I don't know what to do w/it if it did..Thanks for the help..Toni

• Don_OKC
    18 years ago

Hi Toni,

The SanCitChan (San=Sanford Cit=citrange Chang='Changsha' mandarin) is a complex intergeneric hybrid made from crossing the monoembryonic 'Sanford' citrange with the 'Changsha' mandarin. The 'Sanford' citrange is a intergeneric hybrid of Poncirus Trifoliata crossed with Citrus sinensis. The rather cold hardy 'Changsha' mandarin is itself likely a intergeneric hybrid of Citrus reticulata with Ichang Papeda. So what we have is.

(Poncirus Trifoliata 'Sanford' x Citrus sinensis) X Citrus reticulata 'Changsha' or perhaps (Poncirus Trifoliata 'Sanford' x Citrus sinensis) X (Citrus reticulata x Ichang Papeda)

A old time hardy citrus pioneer Dr. Brown down in Houston made these SanCitChang F1 crosses years ago. I don't know how many of the original F1 are still around but a few are out in the trade. Dr Brown's work needs to be save in some sort of budwood foundation. I sure would like to get some budwood from a CiTemple he called 'Edible'.

When it comes to citrus cuttings rooting it can take a very long time. I have had some cuttings set a year before rooting. So often they develop a callus around the cut's edge underground and then just set. After a while the new roots will pop out of the callus. Budding is so much quicker and poncirus is such good rootstock, since learning to bud I don't often make cuttings anymore. Like I say after you get your first bud union it's easy. Just keep on trying with junk plants.

• eyeckr
    18 years ago

Thanks Don for your insight. Hopefully your "Don's Select" will be one of the magic crosses we've been waiting for. Glad to see there are others out there experimenting w/ cold hardy citrus. I have been in contact w/ Mr McClendon and have finally located some of the hard to find cultivars. Rounding them up will be another story.