Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
running_free

Ruby Stella

running_free
14 years ago

Seems I mention this thing every year so here's a recap and some observations. I was ecstatic to stumble across these guys, the picture was a hot red and I hoped to paint the spring landscape with a brilliant red instead of that same old yellow...

Not the case! They are indeed a "ruby/cranberry" red. Clearly related to dear old Stella but they bloom far later, thus making them a far better companion plant than a replacement. As Stella is slowing down these dude's are just waking up. The blooms are virtually indistinguishable from 'Pardon Me' in both size and color however branching appears to be significantly higher.

My excitement is long gone. Mom's makes a nice accent plant at the back entry along a row of hostas but other than that I think they're far better suited for commercial applications planted alongside their mama at the local McDonalds or gas station. I really don't get the hybridizer's "patent pending", I've just not seen anything that special about them.

But here's a look anyway! I transplanted Mom's this year, not quite as much sun but it's doing well. I'd say it's most favorable attributes are that it's quick to multiply and has some serious bloom potential (3rd picture is a bit off colorwise---'Strawberry Candy' in the back for reference, but a bteer shot of the branching).

Wes

Close-Up:

Branching:

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County