Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigeasyjock

rooting quince cutting

bigeasyjock
18 years ago

I know quince, an apple relative and apple cuttings are near impossible to root, will be a dilly of a cutting to root but any advice will be most welcome.

Thanks Mike

Comments (13)

• Millie_36
    18 years ago

Mike, if you are speaking of common flowering Quince, my book says that it will root easily in June/July using 1000 to 5000 PPM IBA solution and mist in a very well drained medium. without mist, I would still try it using a humidity chamber and bright light, but no sun. I also know that it will ground layer, because I dig them around the perimeter of the clump.

Oh yes, it says the cutting should be 1/4 inch diameter by 3" long.
    If it is something other than what I have looked up, email me with a scientific name and I will see if it is listed in my book on woody plants.

• bigeasyjock
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No this is the fruiting type of quince. I've read that the type grown more for their flowers are somewhat easy to root while the fruit produces are another animal (o.k. plant ;o) all together.
    I have yet to get together with the owner of this plant so will follow up with more details.
    Wish me luck :o)
    Mike

• mkirkwag
    18 years ago

Mike, I cut a branch and cram the bugger in the ground and it sprouts roots. My experience with them is that spread and take over the yard if you let them. I think if you treat it nicely, it should be no problem at all to get it to root.

• maineapples
    18 years ago

According to the 1888 edition of W. W. Meech's book "Quince Culture":

" Propagation by cuttings is probably the best method of multiplying quince trees. Cuttings of large branches are better than those of small shoots. The amount of wood seems to measure the vital force to form both roots and tops. From twelve to fifteen inches is a good length, enabling us to plant deeply, and so guard against drought.

The chief thing is to guard against the exhaustion of sap by evaporation until roots are formed. Facilities for regulating light, heat, air, and moisture with precision will enable us to succeed with a succulent cutting furnished with a few leaves. When the air is warmer than the earth, buds are excited more than roots; and when the ground is warmest, root growth is most excited. Hence the custom of burying cuttings inverted during the winter, to keep the bnds dormant while a callus is forming for the emission of roots.

Holding the cutting in the hole at the right depth with the left hand, pnsh the earth firmly against the cutting with the dibble, as yon would in planting a cabbage. For lack of such firming the earth there are many failures.

The fall, after the leaves have dropped, is generally preferred for taking the cuttings; but they may be taken much later. I have had some cuttings grow in the open air, which were made in May, after the trees were growing.

Root Cuttings a foot or so long are best prepared before the buds swell in spring. I have trees from pieces of roots cut off by the plow as late as June. Plant at an angle of about forty-five degrees, or as near as you can to their natural position. "

• mceller
    17 years ago

I did a "clandestine" cutting of the most pecatcular quince I saw on the side of the road. Everyday I passed this beautiful show and just had to have some for myself. It didn't appear to be on anyone's property - outside a fence on a busy road. One day, I finally remberered clippers and in high heels, in the rain I jumped out to take some cuttings. I cut 4 or 5 good branches, put them in pots with starting mix. With high hopes I "watered the hell out of them" just like I have done with roses and forsythia. They look pretty bad... all of the leaves are dead but the bark when scratched is still green. Do I give up or keep trying with rooting solution etc.. ? I just have to have this plant!

• idano_bluefrog_com
    13 years ago

If the Quince wasn't on your property it was on someone elses. How sad they must have been to find their "spectacular quince" cut. I suggest you visit a nursery or find the land owner for permission to cut.

• FrY10cK
    11 years ago

Sorry for off-topic post. I'm a newbie and don't see a "subscribe" button anywhere so I can save this discussion thread.

I'm in NH, zone unknown, but my neighbor has beauty flowering quince and I want cuttings! This thread is great. Wish I knew how to subscribe.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Here is the link to join:

http://www.gardenweb.com/auth/nph-logincheck.cgi?register_form

Here is a link that might be useful: Join GardenWeb

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

how did you post if you havent joined??

such are the mysteries of life, i guess

ken

• gogreengoworms
    10 years ago

We have a very old Quince tree on the property. Has anyone had any luck with seeds?

• waynealabama
    10 years ago

putting this message so I will be able to find it next summer.

• robriv09
    7 years ago

Anyone has free cuttings (flowering quince),.. I will pay for shipping.