Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Spanish onions?

Posted by Woodenzoo z6 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 3, 05 at 18:33

I planted some Sweet Spanish Utah Strain Onion seeds back in May, early June and just pulled one today. This is supposed to grow to about 6" across and this one is only just over an inch!
Is there a secret to growing onions and chives? I'm having no luck with either of these. Doesn't seem to matter what variety (though the white Lisbon bunching isn't too bad) I haven't had but 1 chive out of 3 packages of seed to sprout. And the onions above are only 1" after all this time?
I try not to let things dry out too much and fertilize when I think of it. Did I plant at the wrong time of year? Will the onions that I planted in August (and are coming up now) do better in the cooler months?
I love onions and garlic and love going out to pick them when I need them... going to make a small batch of fresh salsa tonight with the bunching onions and tomatoes I harvested today.
Anyway, any hints or suggestions for me to get the onions and garlic growing properly for me?
Thanks a bunch!
Cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Spanish onions?

Did you direct-seed them?

Generally, in the colder zones, onion seed needs to be started quite early - late feb. early march. So they have to be started indoors or in a hotbed. This is because onion bulbs (especially long-day varieties)need to size up near the summer solstice, and be curing by august. Since onions are a long-season crop, this can only be achieved by early starting.

In the southern zones, this is achieved by by planting in fall and using varieties adapted to over-wintering. They size up in late May.

o

Thanks pn!
I've learned my lesson and will start them earlier next year!
Cathy

o

I also will be trying to grow bigger and better onions next year. Use fresh seed. Onion seeds don't keep well. If you want to read the saga of this year's attempt, follow the link below. It includes of pic of a couple of the onions I just harvested.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: How Large?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here