Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
torajima

Melting snow helped plan my rock garden...

torajima
15 years ago

I have an area of my yard which faces south, and is so dry that nothing survives our hot summers (not even weeds). I've planted clover, creeping thyme, and winter wheat, but everything dies. About the only thing that did well last summer was some Agastache and Nepeta that I planted against the fence.

I've always loved succulents, so I thought I'd put a rock garden there. But after watching the sun, I've been worried that this area doesn't get enough sun in the winter, as the house blocks the sun when it is low.

But after watching snow melt today, I realized that half of the area is getting more sun than about any area in my yard... the snow is completely gone. Even the prickly pears growing wild at the front of my property get less sun (still a little snow there).

But the other half is nearly completely shaded by the house, and has about 2 inches of snow remaining.

So, I'm thinking Delosperma, sedums, and agaves on the sunny side, and orostachys and sempervivums on the shady side? The whole area should get at least half a day sun in the summer.

Comments (7)

• leftwood
    15 years ago

Try searching this website for pics:
    http://www.peterkornstradgard.se/

• leftwood
    15 years ago

Sorry, that was meant for the other thread.

Maybe you could clue us in to where abouts you live?

• torajima
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Southeast, Zone 7B. Hot & humid in the summer.

• leftwood
    15 years ago

I can't give a lot of advice, as I am not familiar with your zone at all. Easy ones like sedums, hen and chicks should do fine. The one thing I do know is that any Delosperma is extremely vulnerable to winter wet, and I am guessing summer humidity to some extent. If you want to try them, they will need to be facing east or south, in pure (or almost pure) sand and/or gravel.

Penstemon virens is among the species most tolerant to moisture and shade. (Of course, hybrids like Husker's Red would be more tolerant yet.)

• tarheel_zone7b
    13 years ago

If you want info on how to set up your garden, check out this link from the forum:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/carolgard/msg042049429802.html

• goren
    13 years ago

As mentioned, plant small flowering plants that can stand some less than ideal water conditions. Hens and Chicks is often mentioned.
    Spring flowering bulbs...the mini and dwarf varieties are liked in a rock garden. Don't attempt the larger (taller) varieties. Put any that are taller in back of the shorter ones.
    Where water might be a problem, put containers in the garden, plant them into the ground - just make sure the pots drain well because a pot can harbor a lot of water the plant within might not be able to stand up. Let them spill over the edge.
    Ornamental grasses do well in rock gardens....sedges in particular. Blue Fescue (festuca ovina) does well and can dress up a border.

• botann
    13 years ago

Should a rock garden have a border? Mine doesn't. The picture doesn't show it though.
    We had a light dusting of snow the other day so I thought this picture of part of my garden would be appropriate.
    Mike
    {{gwi:369735}}

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!