Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noni_morrison

Introducing 'Grandeur'

Noni Morrison
16 years ago

{{gwi:386657}}

According to the label anyhow..In the catalog for Royal COlors they showed the bottom portion white! Will it fade out after a few days to white? Some how this is not how I imagined it would look though it is very nice. It looks closer to Giraffe then I thought it was. Nice sturdy plant with long stems.

Comments (20)

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Liza, I'm guessing this is from WFF as well?? I'm sorry but that is definitely NOT Grandeur. What you have appears to me, to be 'Magic Green' or something else perhaps but most definitely not Grandeur. What a shame, three mislabelings in row....talk about bad company practice *smh*. :(

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Whatever it is, it does have character! I'm not sure it's Grandeur, either... but it's a nice one!

• mariava7
    16 years ago

It seems to be Grandeur for me judging from the petal shape. I could really not figure out your Grandeur's real color with that pic Liza. If you could take a frontal shot in good light maybe we can properly ID it. Grandeur is one of my favorites too.

Here is a link to a thread with pics of Grandeur. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grandeur

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, here is today's paler colors with outside light.{{gwi:373647}}, Now here is what is supposed to be Pink Floyd...what is it really!{{gwi:386658}} I am so disappointed as I wanted to try Sir HAns crossing of Pink Floyd and Giraffe!
    I have another Giraffe blooming but even this seems more intense then my earlier ones!{{gwi:386659}}

• jackie_o
    16 years ago

Liza those are really cool!

• zubababy
    16 years ago

i like the one that's suppose to be pink floyd. i would love to know what that one is.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Me, too! It most assuredly isn't Pink Floyd, but it's very interesting! They're all lovely, Lizalily! Not a bad one in the bunch! I hope Grandeur is really Grandeur, although this picture looks more like it... and I'm dying to find out what "Pink Floyd" is!

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think my "Pink Floyd" may have come from Wayside...that is one of the orders I can not find a copy of. Woops, no, it came from Easy to Grow Bulbs. I will write to ask them about it and send a picture.I wrote that right on the tag so that is a no brainer! Reiminder to self///always write the source on the tag!

• salpal
    16 years ago

Liza- I think you should cross them anyway, you may end up with some really neat flowers!

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, there is that!

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wrote to the lady at EasyToGrowBulbs today and she assured me that she would replace it with a new pink Floyd. She was guessing it was an error at the growers, but I sent along the photo of what I got and ask her if she knew its name so you all could purchase it! She may have to consult the grower but I will let you know if she comes up with a name. I think it is getting even prettier...pale lime with a pink edge from a distance, and those lovely swirly stamens like a cybister.IN fact, it must have some cybister parentage in it. So guess I will try saving Giraffe pollen until my new Pink Floyd gets up to blooming size. MIght save this pollen for it too!

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I believe that the bulb I got instead of Pink Floyd is the cybister "Emerald". Anyone want to verify it? It matches my "La Paz" in shape and size and has the wildly curvacious stamens. I have always wanted emeralds, LOL. So I think I am the winner here...I get Emerald AND Pink Floyd! Or we hope that Pink Floyd will be true, as someone mentioned, they use the wrong flower to illustrate it at Easy To Grow Bulbs. This certainly did not put me off ordering from them though...such nice people on the phone and E-mail! And my flowers from them have been healthy and beautiful.

• soultan
    16 years ago

I wanted to suggest that your NOPink NOFloyd is an Emerald.
    Also, my Grandeur has similar characteristics as yours, but the color is different and pronounced.
    I suspected for a while now that EasytoGrowBulbs grows a slightly different strain of Grandeur. It already shows in their catalogue. It is still very interesting flower and I might order it for next year, just to have this strain too. It seems like that Grandeur and EasytoGrowGrandeur are start to become different hybrids.

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ah, official confirmation on my
    Emerald"! Thanks, Soultan!

What suggestions would anyone have as to what to breed it to? How do Cybisters interbreed with others? Others in bloom are Black Pearl, MY\y mysterious double red that I Like so well(Probably no sex parts), a red peacock, Rembrant, United Nations, Pink Perfection, Giraffe, Bolero, and on opening "Desire"and Grandeur. Would not breeding it to another red and green type be a step backwards? Will it breed with Lemon Lime if one of the 2 buds matures in time?

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Well, at least you know it's an Emerald, which is quite a nice one! I have no breeding suggestions, but would say try, try and try... you just never know what will take and produce seed pods!

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Latest on Melusine. Royal Colors said that it should have exactly matched the photos on their site so they will replace it for me next fall. I think what I got was a couple of really good specimens of REmbrant Van RIjn...better then the other I Had recieved of it from other companies. FOr that I am grateful! Especially as I get to try again with the real Melusine in the fall! MY Showmaster from them came up with the buds inside turned to gluey black ick so they are going to replace it too. IT looked really good on the outside. Anyone know what causes this? Is it a shipping temperatures problem. I have had others that do this too.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I don't think it's a shipping problem... I think it originates at the grower level... I had a Rapido bulb with a twisted, mushy piece that grew out... it looked like another bud trying to grow, but it didn't quite make it. It actually split the two outer scales around it while trying to grow out... I wish I had taken photos of it...

The bulb, itself, is doing fine... growing normally... it bloomed after planting with three loaded scapes of flowers, and then that twisted, blackened mushy piece began to grow out... I cut off the soft piece of rotting tissue and got rid of it. I had to reach between the scales with tweezers to pull it out... but now the bulb is growing normally... I'm not sure what that was all about, but if I had to guess, I'd say it had to do with either weather or cooler/fridge temperatures at the grower's. For all I know, it's a fungal thing... Bottom line? I don't know, but the bulb is ok now.

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I hope my bulbs that came this way will recover. tweezers are a gret idea, I will take some out to my workroom next time I Go and get to the heart of this problem! SUre diappointing for this year though, and I think the grower owes us that minimum 2 stalks with 4 blooms each!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Liza, plant the bulb with the gooey middle. I had two bulbs like that. In time, the middle dries up, and by Fall, the bulb should collapse, but then you will see that several tiny bulbs will grow on the edge of the basal plate. At least, that is what happened to my Sugar Candies.

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, I just did, Soultan! Hopefully next year will be full of GOOD surprises as these blighted babies give it another try!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions