Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

Is this Apple Blossom?

sun_worshiper
12 years ago

I took a chance and bought one of the bulbs from Lowes. It was supposed to be Christmas Story (pure white), but is not all white. Has quite a bit of pink markings. What do you think - is it Apple Blossom?

{{gwi:449860}}

Comments (25)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I would say it's Apple Blossom albiet a little pale..some are. The red spots in the throat are indicative of Apple Blossom...just my opinion though...Once it is fully out you should be able to detect a slight fragrance..but even if you don't my vote would still go for Apple Blossom.

Donna

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Donna. Yes, it definitely has a fragrance. Fairly pronounced actually. It reminds me of something familiar, but I can't think of what. I agree - it is paler than most of the apple blossom images I saw google searching. Good tip on the red spots on the throat though - thanks! So looks like this is Apple Blossom then. Not the variety I intended to get, but it is a big healthy bulb with roots & quite pretty. So still a bargain. After it finishes blooming inside I'll plant it out into my garden.

12 years ago

I've found that from year to year my 2 Apple Blossoms vary in color intensity..yours will probably do the same, but always fragrant. Everyone should have at least 1 Apple Blossom..Enjoy yours...

Donna

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Donna!

Angela

• railroadrabbit
    12 years ago

I got carried away at Lowe's markdown cart, and therefore I have multiples of both Apple Blossom and Angelique, among others (sheepish grin). Your photo looks like my Angelique. The Apple Blossom is similar, but has deeper pink, and the pink is on all of the flower petals. The Angelique tends to have at least one petal that is almost completely white. However, there is variation between flowers. One of my Angelique has 5 flowers on one stalk; each is slightly different, and one is so pale it almost looks white.

See other photos of Angelique on this previous post:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/amaryllishippeastrum/msg0102052525349.html

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of angelique on gardenweb

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I believe this to be 'Apple Blossom' too, look at the dark eye in the center that 'Angelique' does not have.

I think it looks like a very anemic 'Apple Blossom' that needs more light and cooler temps.

• railroadrabbit
    12 years ago

Josh, thanks for pointing that out.

I just looked . . . and one of my "Angelique" has the dark eye, also. The plant doesn't match the photo on the box. I cannot imagine the wrong bulb in the box . . . . (dripping sarcasm). They had different styles of pots . . . Customers were looking in the boxes and could have swapped for a bigger bulb . . . . I put tags in the pots as I planted them.

I have a couple of surprises from these boxes. One has 3" red-orange flower with deep red veins. Coloration looks like Oskar, but I thought Oskar has large bloom.

Another surprise has a double flower with the coloration of Apple Blossom.

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

railroadrabbit - The Angelique pictures you posted are beautiful!

Josh, thanks for pointing out the difference in the green throat vs the dark pink eye. I agree, I think it is more likely apple blossom, since even though my petals are pale, the eye is distinct in mine. Here's another pic that shows the eye more clearly. The overall color is more vivid in this pic than in reality - it really is more pale like the first one. But my camera has a hard time doing close ups indoors.

{{gwi:449861}}

Your comment on more light and cooler temps is interesting. I'm still pretty new to the culture - do cooler temps induce darker colors? I can see how more light certainly could. And is it the temp while the bloom stalk is growing? Or temp during other times?

I plan to put this one out into my garden after I've enjoyed this bloom spike. So it will be interesting to see what coloration it has next time it blooms. I'm in FL, so it won't get much in the way of cool temps, but hippis seem to make excellent garden specimens here anyhow (saw quite a few in neighbor's yards in the spring).

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

The 'Angelique' is very beautiful, thanks for popping that up, I enjoyed it.

With the cooler temps it causes the colors to really pop, I'm not sure whether its better the entire time the scape is emerging. I'm not really sure why this is this way either, if you put the plant in a very hot place the flowers will look similarly colored as yours.

I had a very dear forum member advise me of the same thing (thanks Maria!) and I changed the temp in the room and the blooms were never as pretty!

Josh

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info on temps Josh!

• johnsonm08
    12 years ago

This is my Lowes Apple Blossom.
    {{gwi:449862}}

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

This was my AWESOME Apple Blossom (look at that STIGMA Donna!!) that raised all the fuss...she overwintered in the greenhouse, it got cool, but not freezing!!
    Lots of discussion re: AB.
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Apple Blossom message with photos

12 years ago

Kristi, Please make sure when your super beautiful Apple Blossom blooms this season. to post a picture. I (and I'm sure everyone else who took the time to read your past thread) will be very interested to see if you once again, have that fancy stigma!!

I notice that both your picture and mine (in your thread) have petaloids on the same petals..as well as the red spots in the throat..looks like an Apple Blossom to me....:-)

AP can be very variable as to color, so.. why not the stigma and.. the pink at the very end of your filaments also!!

Donna

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very interesting to see how much color variation this variety can have!

12 years ago

Well, Actually I've don't recall seeing one like Johnsonm08's leaning towards peach (on my computer anyway)..I was thinking more like Flair or Faro, but hadn't bothered to look those two up for comparison..but Apple Blossom can be variable..and if it's fragrant then it's probably AP..I don't think either Faro or Flair have any noticeable fragrance... beautiful whatever it is...

• johnsonm08
    12 years ago

I looked them up and it really looks like Flair, and I dont think its fragrant (but I've had this cold forever!)
    Any other thoughts before I put the name tag in the pot?
    Mike

12 years ago

Mike,

Here is my Flair from early 2010 and it looks like a match to yours to me. One sure-fired way to tell if in fact this is Flair, is to check the stigma and look for those spots!! I learned this on the Emarillis site..and I don't have a Faro for comparison, so if you don't have the spotted stigma then maybe it's Faro...I would say, that it is one or the other especially if there is no fragrance..let us know what you determine it to be...:-)

Donna

Flair..

{{gwi:449863}}

Flair's fancy stigma (albiet not as fancy as Kristi's Apple Blossom's stigma ;-))

{{gwi:449864}}

12 years ago

Mike I just noticed one more thing.. (I finally looked up Faro) Both of our pictures have those tiny red spots in the eye..not nearly as large as in Apple Blossom's eye..Faro doesn't have the red spots....

Donna

12 years ago

Donna, I recall that I credited my AB's fancy stigma with some bruising, since she was so big that she was sitting on the floor of the greenhouse and got brushed up against quite often. We'll see what she does in 2012.
    K

12 years ago

Kristi,

I think both of us have 'exceptional' "Apple Blossoms..you with your gorgeous stigma and mine able to set seeds!! Now, do you have any offsets on your 'exceptional' Apple Blossom..if your bulb is that large, you should have a couple by now. I have 2 on mine..The point I'm trying to make is that it will be interesting.. in your case.. to see when your bulblets from this bulb bloom, whether or not they have the fancy stigma..Don't shoot me, but I seriously doubt that your stigma is bruised, the purple lines and the white centers are much too perfectly drawn to be a bruise!! (just my opinion of course)

Donna

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Kristi,

I would attribute the coloring of the stigma to be temp related, it was too perfect like Donna said :)

Your 'Apple Blossom' is much different than any I've seen, it's so beautiful and I can't wait to see it bloom again! Maybe you and Donna should trade pollen!?!

BTW, in nature plants CAN change ploidy, this is seen occasionally and I'm sure hybrids are no exception. They can be triploids (which I almost suspect AB to be?) and revert to diploids. Also, it isn't true that all small plants are diploids, look at H. striatum, many of this species are tetraploids or even hexaploid (2n=66). It's possible Donna that your plant may have reverted somewhere along the line which is why it produces a copious amount of seed!

12 years ago

Here's the one is question....Photobucket's been being difficult this weekend!!
    {{gwi:449865}}
    {{gwi:409308}}

Now....I had a little fun with Photobucket last year!! Unusual markings in the eye, eh??
    {{gwi:430953}}

12 years ago

Now that's a "stigma" to be proud of!!!

12 years ago

Let me go in the greenhouse and look for offsets. She's in a big pot, so lots of room for babies!!
    K

12 years ago

Looks like she had 2 offsets in the photo. I got home after dark so didn't find her. Will have to look again in the morning...or whenever I'm home during daylight hours!
    :-0
    K