Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
more of my asian veggies (pictures)

Posted by sailamint ca (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 23:50

Hi Win,
Here are more pictures of my asian veggies.

Veggies I harvested yesterday

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

eggplant:

round bottle gourd on the vine

-saila

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: more of my asian veggies (pictures)

Nice crop. I've never gotten eggplants to look that hgealthy.

o

Someone is having a happy harvest! Thanks for sharing the photos!

o

Hi nightbloomincereus,

My eggplants did get attacked by spider mites a few weeks ago, but I have been diligently following a routine of spraying them with a very mild mix of a teaspoon of soap and teaspoon of oil in a gallon of water every 4 days. This seems to be helping them quite well.

In our house we eat eggplant twice a week at least. and prepared several different ways.

-saila

o

Hay Saila,
Veggies look so healthy!! Gongura and eggplant, they really look amazing. Hard work paid off--Good job. Keep it up!

o

Wonderful pics! My garden is so far behind yours. But then, I'm not in California. :-)

Jim

o

Hi aaaa,

I am tickled happy that you recognized the gongura :-) I started the eggplants from seed along with the rest of the veggies including bitter melon, etc. back in the last week of March. I also have thotakura (amaranth), bacchali (malabar spinach both vining and bush type), dosakaya among other asian veggies. They are all producing quite well. My heart sings every time I am harvesting the veggies. talk about going cuckoo !!

-saila

o

Hi:
Can you tell me the type of gongura by botanical name that you are growing for food? And how do you cook it?
I grow a few types but I have never eaten them. I just don't know how to prepare them - which ones are good for leaves etc.

And I had no idea that there was a bush malabar spinch. Am I reading this correctly? I grow the vining, it is one of my favorite summer leafy greens. I'd love a bush variety to grow right in the flower garden.

Thanks
girlgroupgirl

o

Nice crop. I live in India and these grow throughout the year in my veggie garden but they don't look as nice. What do you do?

o

Hi,

girlgroupgirl, the gongura I have is called Hibiscus Sabdariffa. It is also called Jamaican sorrel, Indian sorrel, roselle ..... I mostly cook it with lentils or bottle gourd. Sometimes I make a chutney with hot chilies. I use the leaves only. And the bush type malabar spinach I got the seeds from a relative here. In India we grow the bush variety more often than the vining kind. Also the leaves on the bush variety are not as thick. I love it.

Hello Ash_work, in spring, before planting the veggies, I amend the soil heavily with compost and steer manure. We also have a horse ranch nearby that gives away composted horse manure for free if we haul it. I add this compost once a month to all the plants except the eggplants, tomatoes and chilies. I have a soaker hose for these and black plastic as mulch so I use foliar spray (seaweed+fish emulsion) once a month. I don't know if that helps but I do it anyways.

-saila

o

Nice eggplants! And we love eggplants! I live in Zone 5 and the warm season is short. We had some eggplants several years ago but never grew well - only a few pittiful fruits. But this year, we try a different way - we grow them in containers. We started from seeds in Januaray in our sunroom. By the time the weather get warm enough for the plant, we already have fruit to harvest. Eggplants are beautiful. We have four types of eggplants and they provide enough fruits for our family (at least twice a week). In Fall, we'll move some of the plants indoor. Here is one of the eggplant pots:

o

Certainly some lovely photo's and lovely veggies on the Asian Gardening forum these days!

Steve

o

Absolutely beautiful veggies. Up here on the OR coast it's hard to grow eggplant, but I did harvest one nice Opus eggplant. It is round like a baseball. I doubt I will get anymore now, but I see you use black plastic even in CA. I'll do that next year and try fish and seaweed feeding to see if I get more this year. I am growing an Asian summer squash this year that has become enormous. Way too big for my raised beds. It has taken over the paths now and I am finding it hard to get by and around. It is called Green Ball hybrid, but it isn't round. The leaves are huge and lovely with long stems. The fruit is zucchini shaped, but doesn't get very long and has funny leaves (set of 4) swirling out from the top. At first I didn't think I liked it but now it's growing on me. I will attempt to show by pictures very soon.
Beebonnet

o

Beautiful pictures. Saila, what is the long green vegetable in your first picture? This year I have been growing the round bottle gourd. I have harvested 4 of them so far. I haven't tried gongura yet, maybe I will try next year.
I am a self-declared eggplant fanatic. This year I really curtailed myself to 13 plants. The technique I found that best works for me is: Plant the seedlings in black big containers (10Gl or 15gl) in May. Give them weekly feedings of fish and sea weed fertilizer of 16-16-16. The plants become huge (like 4 to 5 ft), then switch to low N fish sea weed fertilizer. By August I generally have all plants bearing fruits like crazy.....I get a whole year's supply. I live in bay area, Northern California.

Nan123: Beautiful eggplant. What is the name of its variety? Looked like a Kyoto to me, but I might be wrong.

Lolly Gardener

o

Hi Lolly Gardener,

Thanks !! The long green vegetable (light colored one) is bottle gourd. I am growing both the round and the long variety. The darker long green one (with striping) is an heirloom zuchini.

-saila

o

lolly_gardener,

What are your three favorite ways of preparing & eating eggplant? Have recipes?

;)

o

What has the triplet leaves and red stems?

o

npthaskell,

It is gongura (Hibiscus cannabinus). The leaves actually have more than three points. It is also known as red sorrel or roselle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gongura

o

Hi Violet,

I believe the variety of roselle I am growing is hibiscus sabdariffa.

-saila

o

I have the same "Gongura". It is doing very well. The only difference- I simply cut the leaves. I keep the stems intact. Few days before harvesting I foliar feed them with fish emulsion and or maxi crop sea weed with Iron (Usually once in a week). This ways one can get adequate iron without swallowing a pill.

I do the same with Amaranths; it is about five feet tall. It is the same green Thotakoora from seeds of India.
I do have the seeds of different Amaranthus (Thotakoora from India) called as perugu thota koora and Koyya Thota koora.This year because of space limitations I have not planted them.

Any of these can be grown in pots. If one is late in starting" Gongura" one can buy Gongura from Indian vegetable stores and stick the stem with a little of Rooting hormone. They develop roots fast.

For leafy vegetables I use fish emulsion few days before harvesting so that the leaves harvested will not smell fishy.

One problem with leafy greens in my area when and if I water with chlorinated water from municipal supply, the leaves emit an unpleasant odor while cooking.

If the water smells of chlorine, I collect it in a five gallon bucket and leave it for few hours and use that water.

Chukka koora: It is a variety of sour leafy green from Andhra Pradesh India. We like the taste of it. Its seeds (actually dried flowers are not available here).It bolts quickly. Best to plant them in spring and late august.
I do not use coriander seeds for Cilantro from India grocery stores. They bolt very quickly the cheapest way is to buy from Mexican Grocery stores, a pound costs about 4 dollars. One can buy from parks or Bear creek seeds. There is a big difference in the flavor from cilantro from your garden and the one purchased from grocery stores.

Tindora (Ivory gourd) is always an abundant producer. The one I have is from India a kind of heir loom with thin skin and no stripes. I gave about 20 rooted cuttings to any one who asked locally over here. They are very easy to root.

We freeze all of them including the leafy greens.

o
Gongura

There have been several gongura threads in the past; one is linked below, where I confused gongura with "sorrel" in the genus Rumex. Gongura has been called "Jamaican sorrel", but is in the genus Hibiscus.

One post said that gongura should never be eaten raw; it should only be eaten cooked. Now that I know that Gongura is Hibiscus, this surprises me, since the leaves of some Hibiscus cultivars may be eaten raw (and the flowers too!!). Hibiscus is in the family Malvaceae; and I do eat raw leaves from some cultivars of Malva.

The Plants For A Future database reports that young leaves of Hibiscus sabdariffa may be eaten raw. Given the acid content, I assume that only a small amount of leaves may be eaten raw, just as is the case with real sorrel.

Here is a link that might be useful: November 2006 gongura thread

o

Hello Eswar garu,

I am growing green thotakura (amaranth) and chukkakura. I harvested chukkakura about 6 times and then it bolted. I am waiting for the seeds (flowers) to dry so I can save and plant them in late august here. Thotakura is growing like a weed. I found that if I snip off the stems, there is less chance of bolting. Same with gongura, if I simply cut the leaves, then the plant begins to flower. Now I snip off the branches and the plant grows new branches and gets bushy.

I wish I can get tindora. I love it so much, but not too sure if I can grow it here in the bay area. Our summers can get quite cool sometimes. One week it can be in the 90s and the very next week in high 60s.

-saila

o

Hi violet_z6,
Some of our traditional recipes:
If its rosa bianca or kyoto, I like to cut them lenghtwise into 4 or 6 pieces, cook them covered on low flame in about 3 tbsps of oil and salt until they are tender, and then put paste of coriander, green chilli. Allow it to cook in paste for a few more mins and it tastes heaven...
If its long chinese or japanese eggplant, cut them about 2"X1"X1", again cook them covered on low flame in about 3 tbsps of oil and salt until they are tender and flakes of red-pepper. I can also add curry powder instead of red-pepper.
If its big eggplant varieties like "black beauty", I cut them up about 1" cubes, cooke them in covered pot with salt and water until they are mostly cooked. In a separate pan, I heat up about 2 tbsp of oil, add 1 tsp yellow gram, 1 tsp white gram (Idli dal), 1/2 tsp cumin seed, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start popping (the grams would have kind of roasted), add few chopped green chilli and ginger. After 1 min transfer it to the eggplant, put in 1/2 cup of milk and let it cook for a few more mins. Garnish with coriader leaves.
Of course there are many many more.
Lolly_gardener

o

• Posted by eswar zone 6 KY (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 1:23

Hello Saila

I have separate beds for leafy greens in semi shade. The leafy greens are fed with nitrogen and (less phosphorous), minerals and calcium. Usually rabbit chow, fish meal or Soya bean meal.

I follow the recommendations from the book "Nutrition Home grown and "and from High brix gardening. One of their agricultural consultants wife is from Andhra Pradesh. He knows all about vegetables from Andhra Pradesh, India..

In fact I am following the same from 1985.Now being semi retired; we moved from big house and an acre of garden to a small home and made several raised beds.
Fortunately bolting is not a problem for me. Eventually every thing will bolt, but how far we can delay it? Is probably more important.

Chukka koora bolted in 6-8 weeks, I just wanted to experiment what happens if I use a phosphorous containing fertilizer. It bolted readily.

I will be glad to share Tindora plants with any one (free, except for 2 day shipping costs) these are cuttings with roots.

This particular Tindora is from India (A.P), bought over herein 1976 by some one concealed in his babys diaper. So it is already well fertilized. I interplant my vegetables with dwarf Mary gold and holy basil (lakshmi Tulasi from SV temple gardens, Tirupathi).

My egg plants are already 6 feet tall with abundant yields. Next year I will be cutting down the number of plants. They also suffered from minimal wind storm damage this year, but they recovered fast. I cut down prune all the leaves that turn yellow, that can not take part in photosynthesis due to shade and one that touch the ground,

Probably I will get egg plant seeds from bear creek. They have authentic seeds from Tamilnadu and Bangladesh. My friends are growing them. They have a better flavor as they say.

I gave up on snake gourd ridge gourd and bottle gourd. Now the place we live is open on all four sides, surrounded by hills and last four years the plants suffered heavy wind damage.

But for fun I may try Ash gourd next year. But it takes long time (100 days) and full sun and lots of space. (Boodida gummadi).

The wind storms became regular annual event in the last 4 years.
It is hard to get authentic Indian mint(pudina) here.The flavor of the various mints I tried is slightly different.
We are only 2 with an empty nest and our needs are small. But it is fun we enjoy it.

o

sailamint
Do you know the sources from where I can get thotakura and gongura seeds on the internet?
Thanks

o

sailamint,

thanks for the pics!!! now i want to grow some indian veggies!!

win

o

Hi sunstar,

Thotakura seeds you can get from evergreen, and gongura from seeds of India.

Thanks win, I am glad you enjoyed the pictures. I love growing Indian vegetables. Takes me back to my fond childhood memories of my grandfather growing soooooo many kinds of vegetables and fruits. He was an avid gardener. He grew many kinds of mangoes, gooseberry, sapota (zapote), guava, plantains and bananas. He had 1.5 acres of land and it is always lush !! even today. I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to grow up in that environment.

sorry I am rambling on ..

-sailamint

o

Let's see now . . . vegetable gardening is supposed to produce good food and pleasure . . . gee, I don't think you were "rambling on," sailamint. You were just providing information on one and then the other.

Steve

o
RE:Some pics. of asian veggies from my garden (pictures)

sailamint, you have presented nice pics. from your garden.
These are some pics. from my garden.I agree with steve about the pleasure and info. we gardeners provide to each other.

Tindora.

Peanuts.

Sweet Potatoe.

Moringa Oleifera (Drumstick Plant).

o

Nice Pictures sailamint & chaman.

Chaman,

Are you growing those Moringa in container? Looks awesome. I am getting dwarf verity seed from India, I am looking information on how to seed and plant etc.

Thanks again for sharing the pictures, it really motivates beginers like me.

o

Hello Eswar garu,
I would really appreciate if you can share your tindora roots with me. I have been trying to get them for some time now. If you can please email the details to me it would be great. From (My Page) you should be able to send me email. I will gladly pay for the shipping. Its a very generous offer on your part and I would like to take up on it.

I would like to hear about the eggplant varieties you have planted. I find that Kyoto is really good variety.

Lolly_gardener

o

No problem in sending you Tindora roots. The only cost is shipping. They need to ship by 2 day mail. I can get plenty of boxes from my place of work.

I already sent an e-mail to you.

The amranthus-Thotakoora and Gongura are very easy and satisfying,
This year I tried white egg plants-bland. Taste like Styrofoam.
Green giant. Long green------ prolific yielder. I get half a 5 gallon bucket full every alternate day from 5 plants. The seeds from Andhra Pradesh India long slim ones have good flavor and more delicate.
Last year All America selections egg plant is also profuse yielder.
Next year I am going to try long slim varieties from Bangladesh and Tamil Nadu from bear creek farms. Probably I will cut down the number of plants.

o

A few weeks ago I went on a tour of 10 urban houses who do edible gardening. It was 2 hours of pure pleasure seeing others gardens with vegetables, fruits. I learned a lot (like, I can get bales of hay for mulch free from Whole Foods day after October 31st- Halloween). I saw people growing more different varieties than me. I saw the most lucisous French Sorrel plant. I had to take picture of it. I also saw that, while there are many ways I need to improve my gardening skills, I am still growing one of the best eggplant plants! A far cry from 6 years ago when I put a plant in clay soil and ordered it to grow.

I am going to try growing Chukka Koora this year. I feel encouraged to try it after reading others success with it. I did try Sorrel this year, and its one of the best finds I made. Its almost a substitute for Chukka Koora. Its a perenial, I keep cutting leaves and it keeps churning out more. Its been more than 12 years since I had Chukka Koora.

Several times in the year I visit a community garden near my home. Its such a feast to watch all the wonderful plants. I come back home each time jealous and inspired.

Eswar garu: Thanks a lot!

Lolly_gardener.

o

Chaman,
Those are wonderful pictures... I have a question about the Moringa(drumstick). they are awsome, how did you get them to fruit? i've been having moringa trees for the past 4 years and it flower's but doesn't produce drumsticks. i keep it along with my other vegetables like okra, bitter bourd, snake gourd, etc.. i had about 7 or 8 drumsticks plants in pots that i moved in during winter and move out during summer but then i got frustrated last year and left them out in the cold except for 1 that i've been having longest.
I'll post pictures in a day or two but would appreciate any suggestions.
thanks.

o

here is a picture of our drumstick(moringa) plant.

sailammint, your pictures are awesome.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12024687@N04/?saved=1

o

sambandham:
Thanks for appreciation of pics.Moringa oleifera that I have grown is a dwarf variety which was developed by University of Chennai in India.This is easily grown in large pots.I take the plants indoors during winter.These are fast growing plants.They flowered very first year but did not give any fruits.In the 4th year it started giving fruits but not as many it would give in climate of India where there is plenty of moisture and heat.Plants I have reach the height of about 10 feet but do not branch out as much it would in warm and moisturous climate.

o

waltmalt:
Remove the hard coat on the seed and sow the seeds 1 inch deep at a distance about 2 inches between seeds in a rectangular or square container.Cover the top.Apply the the heat at the bottom by heating pad.It takes about two weeks to germinate the seeds.Keep the soil wet enough to provide enough moisture.

o

I can agree with you, Eswar, on the productivity of the Long Green eggplants. Wow! I got the seed from Evergreen.

The bitterness of some of the purple eggplants has no appeal so I'm still trying to find the best non-bitter purple. This year's trial is on Kurume and Shoya. The jury is still out but Shoya seems to be growing better, anyway. Yasakanaga, last year was VERY productive but TOO bitter.

It could be that the mild green eggplants are just my personal choice. Applegreen is really tasty, also.

Steve

o
RE: When to pick eggplants

All egg plants are bitter when young and tender.It takes a while before they mature for edible stage.At this stage tender seeds (which are not yet ready and ripe for sowing) will be visible distinctly from the white pulp.You pick the fruits at this stage ,if you do not pick the fruits at this stage they will enter into ripening stage and the taste will not be as good.All these things are difficult to judge very exactly.After few trials you will develop good judgement when to pick.Another way of looking at it is as the fruits start growing pick when they stop growing further in size.
Maturity date on seed packet gives some guide line.Intutively I may say that if there are too many fruits I will remove few so the rest will get a chance to mature for eating.Eswar has good experience.His feed back will be really helpful.In India farmers harvest egglpants at the interval of 5 to 7 days.But the weather there is hotter and has enough moisture.

o

Alright you all have craving for Indian food now. I want to grow gongura now!! And now I'm thinking if I really want to grow drumstick tree. Hehhehehe...Reminds me of my time in Himachal Pradesh some 25 years ago. Hmmm thanks for the memories. Wished I was more interested in gardening back then.

o

Hi Steve,

Most of my eggplants are purple except for one variety, a light green small round one. That seed got mixed up with the ones I ordered and sowed. As I mentioned before, we eat eggplant at least twice a week and so far none of the purple ones had a bitter taste. I pick them very young actually when there are practically no seeds.

-saila

o
RE: One more pic. of Asian Vegie.

Pic. of Cluster bean from my garden:

o

Hi Chaman,

Your cluster beans are awesome. I tried growing them for the first time here in the bay area, but they did not do well. I had a handful of beans that is all. We hardly had a steady period of temps over 80s. It has been very mild here, in the mid 70s for the most part. I wonder if this was why they did poorly for me.

-saila

o

Hi sailamint,
Thanks for appreciating the pic. You have really neat and beautiful pics. too. Your observation is correct.It is some what difficult to grow cluster beans.
One it's germination is poor due to weather conditions.Secondly it loves moisture but water should be drained out.
I solved the problem by sowing the seeds very closely almost at every inch in the row.This way you will have enough seeds germinated.Sow the seeds where they did not germinate.Do not give up.
Secondly select the area in the garden which is little eleveted.As the plants grow hill the rows that will keep soil in drained condition.In my experience okra is a good companion for cluster beans.
Soaking seeds over night in water helps.
Good Luck.

o

Hi everybody,
We just moved to USA and I palnted few seeds like gongura, thotakura, dosa, potla etc 3 weeks back. They sprouted really gppd but the leaves are drying out and they are slowly dying. The leaves have yellowish and brownish patches before they dry. Can anybody help me with this? Thank you

o

Chaman I would like to know more about moringa tree. Is it grown from seed or cutting? How big the pot is and do you repot it every year? You said your tree is 10' big so how many years old it is? Do you get plenty of fruits from this tree? Sorry for too many questions. I never thought of keeping moringa tree in pot but after reading your post I really feel I should grow one.

Thanks
Jasmine

o

Hello Eswar:

I am new to the forum. Looking for Tindora roots.
I would really appreciate if you can share your tindora roots with me. If you can please email the details it would be great. I will pay for the shipping. Its a very generous of you you to share them with others. Thank you.
bagysekhar@hotmail.com

o
Re: Tindora roots and other vegetable seeds

Hi Eswar and other friends:

I am new to the forum but am very happy to come across it. I was doing a search for tindora plants in US and saw your forum. Is it possible for you to share Tindora roots. I am also willing to pay the shipping and other costs. I hope it is ok. Also if some one can share gongura seeds, bottle gourd seeds and indian beans I would really appreciate. One day I hope I will have a nice garden and be able to share nice pictures with you all.

Thanks. (pkakarla@yahoo.com)

o

Hello all I'm new to this forum, but am a long time gardener now disabled I had a very bad season do to having to go into the Hospital so every suffered and died exceprt some rare wild hot pepper and some tropical Okra which is doing great and is noe over 8ft. tall. I grow thre red leaf Amaranth and use it for just about every thing I have some Thai egg plants growing, but the bugs just eat them up. My purple passion fruit vines along with my tree tomato (Tamarillo) didn't produce anything this year maybe they will the next, so I will have to overwinter them. I'm using a type of tropical Okra for most of my raw and cooked greens which I mix in some of my Amaranth leaves.
I love Asian cooking and am just learning about all the great vegetales there are. Thanks for sharing the photo Now if I can just get all the seeds I want for next year.
George W. Z5-6 MO.

o

Hi jas,
I have grown Moringa from seeds.Pot is (approx.) 2 feet tall and one and a half foot wide.
I had bought the pot from yard sale in the community.I do not repot the plant every year instead take it indoor in winter by bending the branch side ways.It is six years old.In third year it reached that height.Plane does not poroduce plenty of fruits compared to a plant in India.Moringa I have is a dwarf kind.Seeds are available at Echonet.org.

o

Hi all friends of the asian veggie forum,

I live in bay area and very intrested in Indian veggie gardening. This is the first time I am going to start my garden and please help me with the zone and times of the year to plant.

Eswar, can you please send me the Tindura root, I will be happy to pay for the shipping and also some instructions on how to grow it.

Can any one of you please send me some vegitable seeds, especially I like to have Gongura, Bachalikura, Chukkakura, Drum stick seeds or any South Indian vegitables. Please send me the seeds and some instructions on starting a vegitable garden.

I am new to gardening and very happy to see all pictures of the vegitables grown by you.

Thanks,
neelu.

o

The time to send Tindora roots is last week of April or May.(first 2 weeks)
What ever Tindora(donda ) I have I will be glad to share at your postage expense.
The plants are free.
Please post again in April.I hope the link to my e-mail is working.
thanks

o

Thank you Eswar. There is no email link in your garden web page.

Thanks,
Neelu.

o

Hellow neelu. I updated my page. I think you can send me e-mail now.
I will have enough this year growing season.(tindora -donda)
One can get gongura seeds from seeds of India.

o
tindora

Can tindora be grown from seeds? I read somewhere that it takes years to begin producing fruit when started from seeds. Do you still have some roots/cuttings that you can send me? It will be much appreciated.

o
RE: tindira roots

Hello Eswar,
Did you get my email. I am looking for tindora roots. I am ready to pay shipping costs.

o

Hi Eswar,

Thanks for sharing the Tindora plants. Can you send me one too. I will gladly pay for the shipping. Thank you.

Madhavi

o

Does anybody know if we can 'Virrajaji' plants here in US? I recently got 'Sannajaji' from a nursery. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Padmaja

o

hello eswar garu !
i live in chicago and we recently moved to our own house i am so excited to grow my own veggies i am gettinng all sorts of veggee seeds from india . but i could not get tindora (dondakaya) i see u are sharing them i would love to have some of them i would also like to have some moringa seeds too if u have them if u can send me a mail at sirishagannavarapu@ yahoo.com with the details i will really appreciate it . thanks for your time and effort

o

Hello Padmaja,

There are somany places you will find virrajaji plants online. search for Jasmine Molle. One of the sites is having somany variesties of jasmine collection. This forms is blocking that name.

Can you please tell me where can i find sannajaji plants. i have been looking for it.

Thanks,

Regards

o

Padmaja,

Can you please tell me the english name of the Sannajaji plant?
Also can you give me the name of the web site or the nursery where you brought this?

Thanks & Regards
Meena

o

Hello meena,

Sannajaji is called "Jasminum azoricum".

Regards,

o

Hello Bunti,

I got my sannajaji plant from bhatia-nurseries.com and thank you for giving me the name of virrajaji plant. I will search for it.

Thanks,
Padmaja

o

Hello padmaja,

sannajaji's english name is "Jasminum azoricum". Jasminum Tortuosum looks very like sannajaji. but its not exactly sannajaji. I do have that plant. But i wanted have real sannajaji plant. anyways, thanks for the information.

Kavitha

o

Kavitha, I asked Bhatia couple of times if he is sure it is sannajaji and he said he is very sure it is. I got the plant but did not have flowers yet on it. If it is not exactly sannajaji, I will be very dissappointed. I also thought azoricum is the sannajaji but when he said he is sure this is, I went ahead and bought. I may have to buy azoricum next time and ofcourse virrajaji too. By the way, do you have virrajaji (molle) plant. Is that what it is supposed to be? Can you help before I spend too much money on that too?

Thanks,
Padmaja

o

Hello Padma,

Don't get disappointed. May be its sannajaji and he doesn't know the name properly. Other plant also looks like sannajaji. You can't differentiate both. Unless you are very picky like me, you can tell the difference.

I am very sure about virrajaji plant. I have 2 of them. write me to contactus@eTaram.com. I can tell you site where you can have full collection of tropical plants.

Kavitha

o

Hi Kavitha,

It looks like you know some special site for tropical plants. It will be great if you could post the url. This may help even other tropical plant collectors.

Thanks
a

o

I hope so Kavitha. I am also very particular about the sannajaji. With regards to Virrajaji plant, I sent out email to get the site name. I hope you got it. If not please let me know and I will resend it to you. I am waiting to hear from you before I order it. Thank you very much for your help. I cannot wait to get a virrajaji plant.

o

I got this virrajaji plant last year which had all fragrant smelling pinkish flowers. Plated in soil where it gets nice full sun and watered well. It over wintered but never bloomed again.

It's growing so nicely that i can see all the lush green leaves and also i had to re-plant it in new location so that i can give the vine nice support.

But still no blooms. My Jasmine Sambac(Maid of Orleans) is blooming like crazy.

Can any one of you tell me what i can do to make this Virajaji bloom again?

Thanks
Pavani

o

i too experienced the same problem..but it`s just season..they bloom in particular season and then when the tree grows vigourosly u see no flowers..mine bloomed in spring and thats it till now..

o

Hi,

I found the Jasmine Molle (virrajaji) but they are calling it Adavimalli.

Can anyone tell me if virrajaji and adavimalli are the same.

thanks
priya

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

o

Is this plant same as known as Jui in India?

o

Pictures are amazing. By any chance do you have indian egg plant, gongura extra seeds. Please let me know

Thanks,
anna

o

• Posted by pat_123 9/SF Bay Area 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 1:50

Hi Anna,

You do realize that the photos at the top of this thread are 2 years old? I hope the OP is still around to answer you.

- Pat

o

Your vegetable looks so delicious, fresh and healthy.

o
need indian veggie seeds

hi,

i live in long island and i am planning to start my own vegetable garden. i am planing to start with indian veggies first. does anyone have any indian vegetable seeds for sale?

thanks
divya

o

hello divya,

you can find nice quality indian vegetable seeds at evergreenseeds.com and seedsofindia.com

o

Hello Chaman,
Can you please sell or exchange Tindora plant and Drumstick seeds for indian suash and cucumber seeds?

o

Drum stick (moringa)seeds available from
Seeds of India
Echo seeds
and several e-bay sellers.

Tindora plants are available from Florida by mail order. The link was provided before- in another post.
Gongura seeds available from Seeds of India.
or
when you buy gongura from Indian Grocery stores, stick it in the soil it will grow.

o

Eswar,
Can you please provide the info about from where can I buy the tindora plant? Please provide me the link which you are talking about.

o

sailamint,
Do you still have Tindora plant? If so I need one. From where can I buy the valor(chikkudu) seed variety from your veg picture?

o

One can get tindora ( Donda)plants from here

http://www.farmersmarketonline.com/tropicaltrees2.htm

eswar.

o

Hi shrub 2010
Contact sushilapatel55@yahoo.com for Tindora plants.

o

Hi sailamint,

please send me some seeds from your garden...5 or 10 seeds each is enough.

here is some seeds i am looking...
Ridgegourd
Gongoora - Red and Green
Bittergourd
Amaranthus 'Amar' Red and Green
Snakegourd-King Cobra
Snakegourd-Viper
Cluster Bean
Ram Tulsi
Krishna Tulsi
Van Tulsi
Murraya Koenigii

i got tons of american veg seeds to exchange.

o

Seedssun,

Please let me know what american vegetable seeds you have.

o
RE: tindora

i have tindora plants,vegetable seeds for sale.

o

Prashanthi: I have ridge gourd "beerakaya" seeds I would like to exchange for Tindora plant.

o

ladybug_la: I have ridge gourd seeds. If you are interested in buying the tindora please let me know.

o

Just as a reminder to the Forums in here...there is no advertising for anything for sale. This is a discussion forum and there is an "exchange" forum. That means nothing for sale.

o

Hello,

please send me ridge gourd and tindora plants.
please email : myids10@gmail.com

o

hi,

i am also looking for the Tindora Plant as well as other indian vegetable.

apu

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here