Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sailamint

more of my asian veggies (pictures)

sailamint
16 years ago

Hi Win,

Here are more pictures of my asian veggies.

Veggies I harvested yesterday

{{gwi:388145}}

eggplant:

{{gwi:388146}}

round bottle gourd on the vine

{{gwi:388147}}

-saila

Comments (90)

• chaman
    16 years ago

Pic. of Cluster bean from my garden:

{{gwi:385470}}

• sailamint
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Chaman,

Your cluster beans are awesome. I tried growing them for the first time here in the bay area, but they did not do well. I had a handful of beans that is all. We hardly had a steady period of temps over 80s. It has been very mild here, in the mid 70s for the most part. I wonder if this was why they did poorly for me.

-saila

• chaman
    16 years ago

Hi sailamint,
    Thanks for appreciating the pic. You have really neat and beautiful pics. too. Your observation is correct.It is some what difficult to grow cluster beans.
    One it's germination is poor due to weather conditions.Secondly it loves moisture but water should be drained out.
    I solved the problem by sowing the seeds very closely almost at every inch in the row.This way you will have enough seeds germinated.Sow the seeds where they did not germinate.Do not give up.
    Secondly select the area in the garden which is little eleveted.As the plants grow hill the rows that will keep soil in drained condition.In my experience okra is a good companion for cluster beans.
    Soaking seeds over night in water helps.
    Good Luck.

• yaminisreenivas
    16 years ago

Hi everybody,
    We just moved to USA and I palnted few seeds like gongura, thotakura, dosa, potla etc 3 weeks back. They sprouted really gppd but the leaves are drying out and they are slowly dying. The leaves have yellowish and brownish patches before they dry. Can anybody help me with this? Thank you

• jas_il
    16 years ago

Chaman I would like to know more about moringa tree. Is it grown from seed or cutting? How big the pot is and do you repot it every year? You said your tree is 10' big so how many years old it is? Do you get plenty of fruits from this tree? Sorry for too many questions. I never thought of keeping moringa tree in pot but after reading your post I really feel I should grow one.

Thanks
    Jasmine

• matt_1
    16 years ago

Hello Eswar:

I am new to the forum. Looking for Tindora roots.
    I would really appreciate if you can share your tindora roots with me. If you can please email the details it would be great. I will pay for the shipping. Its a very generous of you you to share them with others. Thank you.
    bagysekhar@hotmail.com

• padmaja
    16 years ago

Hi Eswar and other friends:

I am new to the forum but am very happy to come across it. I was doing a search for tindora plants in US and saw your forum. Is it possible for you to share Tindora roots. I am also willing to pay the shipping and other costs. I hope it is ok. Also if some one can share gongura seeds, bottle gourd seeds and indian beans I would really appreciate. One day I hope I will have a nice garden and be able to share nice pictures with you all.

Thanks. (pkakarla@yahoo.com)

• georgew79
    16 years ago

Hello all I'm new to this forum, but am a long time gardener now disabled I had a very bad season do to having to go into the Hospital so every suffered and died exceprt some rare wild hot pepper and some tropical Okra which is doing great and is noe over 8ft. tall. I grow thre red leaf Amaranth and use it for just about every thing I have some Thai egg plants growing, but the bugs just eat them up. My purple passion fruit vines along with my tree tomato (Tamarillo) didn't produce anything this year maybe they will the next, so I will have to overwinter them. I'm using a type of tropical Okra for most of my raw and cooked greens which I mix in some of my Amaranth leaves.
    I love Asian cooking and am just learning about all the great vegetales there are. Thanks for sharing the photo Now if I can just get all the seeds I want for next year.
    George W. Z5-6 MO.

• chaman
    16 years ago

Hi jas,
    I have grown Moringa from seeds.Pot is (approx.) 2 feet tall and one and a half foot wide.
    I had bought the pot from yard sale in the community.I do not repot the plant every year instead take it indoor in winter by bending the branch side ways.It is six years old.In third year it reached that height.Plane does not poroduce plenty of fruits compared to a plant in India.Moringa I have is a dwarf kind.Seeds are available at Echonet.org.

• neelu
    16 years ago

Hi all friends of the asian veggie forum,

I live in bay area and very intrested in Indian veggie gardening. This is the first time I am going to start my garden and please help me with the zone and times of the year to plant.

Eswar, can you please send me the Tindura root, I will be happy to pay for the shipping and also some instructions on how to grow it.

Can any one of you please send me some vegitable seeds, especially I like to have Gongura, Bachalikura, Chukkakura, Drum stick seeds or any South Indian vegitables. Please send me the seeds and some instructions on starting a vegitable garden.

I am new to gardening and very happy to see all pictures of the vegitables grown by you.

Thanks,
    neelu.

• eswar
    16 years ago

The time to send Tindora roots is last week of April or May.(first 2 weeks)
    What ever Tindora(donda ) I have I will be glad to share at your postage expense.
    The plants are free.
    Please post again in April.I hope the link to my e-mail is working.
    thanks

• neelu
    16 years ago

Thank you Eswar. There is no email link in your garden web page.

Thanks,
    Neelu.

• eswar
    16 years ago

Hellow neelu. I updated my page. I think you can send me e-mail now.
    I will have enough this year growing season.(tindora -donda)
    One can get gongura seeds from seeds of India.

• sqftgrower
    16 years ago

Can tindora be grown from seeds? I read somewhere that it takes years to begin producing fruit when started from seeds. Do you still have some roots/cuttings that you can send me? It will be much appreciated.

• prashanthi
    16 years ago

Hello Eswar,
    Did you get my email. I am looking for tindora roots. I am ready to pay shipping costs.

• madhavi
    16 years ago

Hi Eswar,

Thanks for sharing the Tindora plants. Can you send me one too. I will gladly pay for the shipping. Thank you.

Madhavi

• padmaja
    16 years ago

Does anybody know if we can 'Virrajaji' plants here in US? I recently got 'Sannajaji' from a nursery. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    Padmaja

• siri_grower
    16 years ago

hello eswar garu !
    i live in chicago and we recently moved to our own house i am so excited to grow my own veggies i am gettinng all sorts of veggee seeds from india . but i could not get tindora (dondakaya) i see u are sharing them i would love to have some of them i would also like to have some moringa seeds too if u have them if u can send me a mail at sirishagannavarapu@ yahoo.com with the details i will really appreciate it . thanks for your time and effort

• bunti
    16 years ago

Hello Padmaja,

There are somany places you will find virrajaji plants online. search for Jasmine Molle. One of the sites is having somany variesties of jasmine collection. This forms is blocking that name.

Can you please tell me where can i find sannajaji plants. i have been looking for it.

Thanks,

Regards

• meena_e
    16 years ago

Padmaja,

Can you please tell me the english name of the Sannajaji plant?
    Also can you give me the name of the web site or the nursery where you brought this?

Thanks & Regards
    Meena

• bunti
    16 years ago

Hello meena,

Sannajaji is called "Jasminum azoricum".

Regards,

• padmaja
    15 years ago

Hello Bunti,

I got my sannajaji plant from bhatia-nurseries.com and thank you for giving me the name of virrajaji plant. I will search for it.

Thanks,
    Padmaja

• bunti
    15 years ago

Hello padmaja,

sannajaji's english name is "Jasminum azoricum". Jasminum Tortuosum looks very like sannajaji. but its not exactly sannajaji. I do have that plant. But i wanted have real sannajaji plant. anyways, thanks for the information.

Kavitha

• padmaja
    15 years ago

Kavitha, I asked Bhatia couple of times if he is sure it is sannajaji and he said he is very sure it is. I got the plant but did not have flowers yet on it. If it is not exactly sannajaji, I will be very dissappointed. I also thought azoricum is the sannajaji but when he said he is sure this is, I went ahead and bought. I may have to buy azoricum next time and ofcourse virrajaji too. By the way, do you have virrajaji (molle) plant. Is that what it is supposed to be? Can you help before I spend too much money on that too?

Thanks,
    Padmaja

• bunti
    15 years ago

Hello Padma,

Don't get disappointed. May be its sannajaji and he doesn't know the name properly. Other plant also looks like sannajaji. You can't differentiate both. Unless you are very picky like me, you can tell the difference.

I am very sure about virrajaji plant. I have 2 of them. write me to contactus@eTaram.com. I can tell you site where you can have full collection of tropical plants.

Kavitha

• aaaaaa_gardner
    15 years ago

Hi Kavitha,

It looks like you know some special site for tropical plants. It will be great if you could post the url. This may help even other tropical plant collectors.

Thanks
    a

• padmaja
    15 years ago

I hope so Kavitha. I am also very particular about the sannajaji. With regards to Virrajaji plant, I sent out email to get the site name. I hope you got it. If not please let me know and I will resend it to you. I am waiting to hear from you before I order it. Thank you very much for your help. I cannot wait to get a virrajaji plant.

• parupudi
    15 years ago

I got this virrajaji plant last year which had all fragrant smelling pinkish flowers. Plated in soil where it gets nice full sun and watered well. It over wintered but never bloomed again.

It's growing so nicely that i can see all the lush green leaves and also i had to re-plant it in new location so that i can give the vine nice support.

But still no blooms. My Jasmine Sambac(Maid of Orleans) is blooming like crazy.

Can any one of you tell me what i can do to make this Virajaji bloom again?

Thanks
    Pavani

• neehadin
    15 years ago

i too experienced the same problem..but it`s just season..they bloom in particular season and then when the tree grows vigourosly u see no flowers..mine bloomed in spring and thats it till now..

• priya2009
    14 years ago

Hi,

I found the Jasmine Molle (virrajaji) but they are calling it Adavimalli.

Can anyone tell me if virrajaji and adavimalli are the same.

thanks
    priya

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

• chaman
    14 years ago

Is this plant same as known as Jui in India?

• prapurna
    14 years ago

Pictures are amazing. By any chance do you have indian egg plant, gongura extra seeds. Please let me know

Thanks,
    anna

• pat_123
    14 years ago

Hi Anna,

You do realize that the photos at the top of this thread are 2 years old? I hope the OP is still around to answer you.

- Pat

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

Your vegetable looks so delicious, fresh and healthy.

• divya_gardener
    14 years ago

hi,

i live in long island and i am planning to start my own vegetable garden. i am planing to start with indian veggies first. does anyone have any indian vegetable seeds for sale?

thanks
    divya

• bunti
    14 years ago

hello divya,

you can find nice quality indian vegetable seeds at evergreenseeds.com and seedsofindia.com

• shrub_2010
    14 years ago

Hello Chaman,
    Can you please sell or exchange Tindora plant and Drumstick seeds for indian suash and cucumber seeds?

• eswar
    14 years ago

Drum stick (moringa)seeds available from
    Seeds of India
    Echo seeds
    and several e-bay sellers.

Tindora plants are available from Florida by mail order. The link was provided before- in another post.
    Gongura seeds available from Seeds of India.
    or
    when you buy gongura from Indian Grocery stores, stick it in the soil it will grow.

• shrub_2010
    14 years ago

Eswar,
    Can you please provide the info about from where can I buy the tindora plant? Please provide me the link which you are talking about.

• shrub_2010
    14 years ago

sailamint,
    Do you still have Tindora plant? If so I need one. From where can I buy the valor(chikkudu) seed variety from your veg picture?

• eswar
    14 years ago

One can get tindora ( Donda)plants from here

http://www.farmersmarketonline.com/tropicaltrees2.htm

eswar.

• chaman
    13 years ago

Hi shrub 2010
    Contact sushilapatel55@yahoo.com for Tindora plants.

• seedssun
    13 years ago

Hi sailamint,

please send me some seeds from your garden...5 or 10 seeds each is enough.

here is some seeds i am looking...
    Ridgegourd
    Gongoora - Red and Green
    Bittergourd
    Amaranthus 'Amar' Red and Green
    Snakegourd-King Cobra
    Snakegourd-Viper
    Cluster Bean
    Ram Tulsi
    Krishna Tulsi
    Van Tulsi
    Murraya Koenigii

i got tons of american veg seeds to exchange.

• prashanthi
    13 years ago

Seedssun,

Please let me know what american vegetable seeds you have.

• prashanthi
    13 years ago

i have tindora plants,vegetable seeds for sale.

• ladybug_la
    13 years ago

Prashanthi: I have ridge gourd "beerakaya" seeds I would like to exchange for Tindora plant.

• prashanthi
    13 years ago

ladybug_la: I have ridge gourd seeds. If you are interested in buying the tindora please let me know.

• winane
    13 years ago

Just as a reminder to the Forums in here...there is no advertising for anything for sale. This is a discussion forum and there is an "exchange" forum. That means nothing for sale.

• seedssun
    13 years ago

Hello,

please send me ridge gourd and tindora plants.
    please email : myids10@gmail.com

• a_snowy_03_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

hi,

i am also looking for the Tindora Plant as well as other indian vegetable.

apu

Sponsored