Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azbolt

My greenhouse project

azbolt
11 years ago

Hey all,
I've had these glass panes for YEARS just laying around in hopes to build a greenhouse, but it was always either too daunting of a task or I just didn't have the funds{{gwi:807}}. I recently sold the last of my goats and had the realization that their shelter could easily be transformed into that greenhouse I'd always wanted. I had to remove the old tin, fencing and some structural 2x4's (and a lot of old hay and goat poop!). I had to do this with free (or cheap!) materials as doing a full fledged, nicely equipped (and nice looking) greenhouse just wasn't going to be feasable. I've got water out to the greenhouse, but no electricity, I'll have to work on that at some point, but for now I've got all the glass panes up (the white ones in front are whitewashed to keep plants from burning) and I need to do the rest in twin wall polycarbonate panels (that my mom is nice enough to buy for me, thanks ma!). They'll go on the back of the greenhouse (where a lawnmower could throw a rock and break glass) and on the triangular side portions above the large glass panes. So I was thinking of going to Gardeners World in Phoenix to buy these twin walled polycarbonate sheets, does anyone else have any suggestions as to where to buy them, maybe somewhere more eastish? I see them for sale online, but would rather buy some around town if possible. Thanks for any input!

Kevin

This post was edited by bolt on Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 12:01

Comments (12)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

Where's the picture Kevin??!! No idea but You Go Guy, sounds like a daunting but worthy project. Good luck.

• newtoucan
    11 years ago

I have no idea, but would love to see your pictures. I think I need a shade house.

• azbolt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ugh, I guess going back in to edit your post makes the pic vanish! Here it is...

11 years ago

If you want to swap out that door for one with windows in it I know someone who recently replaced and has two available.

Looks like a good start.

(You have to re-link the photo after an edit)

• azbolt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the offer on the doors marymcp, but I don't want to have to refit a new door in there, so I'll keep the crappy door that I have. (I'm sure I'll regret that decision!)

Kevin

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Hats off to re-use, recycling - and ingenuity! If it weren't for all those, we'd never get a project done around here. Is the 'frosted' side facing west? If you need a couple of tempered glass doors, I've got 'em.

• campv 8b AZ
    11 years ago

Looks simply devine ---I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• campv 8b AZ
    11 years ago

Try some inexpensive solar lights for now --might work

• azbolt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The whitewashed glass faces east and I think I am going to have to scrape some of that off (it's 50% white paint and 50% water) as it's really not letting in much light...live and learn! I was really hoping to get it done enough to put some frost sensetive plants in this winter, but with the holidays here, it's hard to find the time. If I'm lucky it won't get down to 32 at my house until January! If I can get to Gardener's World and get those polycarbonate sheets, get them cut and put on, that'd keep it warm enough in there (with a heater) that I wouldn't have to worry about things freezing....and yet have time to do the finishing touches. THEN I have to figure out how to cool it in the summer! yikes

Kevin

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Nice work, Bolt! Thanks for sharing it with us. Keep us posted on any adjustments you make with it, and who/what gets to enjoy life inside. Pics, Pics, Pics! :) I really like it, and let me check, yup, I'm green with envy. Keep us posted! Happy gardening!

• azbolt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's an update: I've enclosed everything now, but had to use the corrugated polycarbonate roofing panels from Home Depot instead of real twin walled greenhouse panels. I went to Gardeners World to get some and they said they hadn't had any for 10 years (contrary to their website, sigh) and that my best bet was to order them online. After looking into that option I found that was WAY too expensive AND I'd have to tack on a huge shipping fee. So I had to make do with what Home Depot had. That corrugated stuff is hard to cut and get to fit. Anyway, it's enclosed but nowhere near done. Still need to do shelving etc., but I have it done enough, just in time for next weeks COLD weather, I'll be moving stuff in there at least temporarily. It will be a good test.

Kevin

11 years ago

I like that eclectic look Kevin. It's certainly better than anything I have going on. Keep us posted on how events develop.