Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie_mtncolor

What is its name, and how do I grow it correctly?

katie_mtncolor
15 years ago

Hello, I'm new to bromeliads, and I just purchased one with a bright red bloom(inflorescence?) from a nursery. I am somewhat familiar with the epiphyte-type plants from having orchids. I don't want to treat it like an orchid, though, and have it die! I'm including pics in a sec, when I figure out how. Here is a basic description:

Smooth, un-serrated leaves, striped horizontally with jagged bands of darker green. Leaves arranged in "star like" pattern, all grow from single center. Flower is on a single erect spike growing ~ 6 in from center of plant, is bright red, smooth, and firm. Flower is not 'open' and I am unsure whether it is mature. It is About 2 feet hight including flower spike, which is about 6 or 7 in long.

Basically, I have spent the last day trying to find its name, but I don't have a clue about species' basic appearances, or where to put it so its happy. It is currently flowering(spiking? inflorescing? Not sure of correct term) and its so pretty I am terrified it won't like its new home. I'd appreciate if anyone could give me advice as to care, fertilizing, potting medium, light needs, etc for this type of brome, and if possible I'd love to know the full name if it can be identified. Thank you in advance!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz