Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Huperzia squarrosa...

Stretching it posting here-but its a good mate of Broms and Tillandsia's and..Orchids.

A choice slow growing primitive plant I have had since 2006. Ups and downs,but it has survived to do very well now in Sphagnum moss- NOT basket moss.

{{gwi:453805}}

Comments (17)

• bryan69
    14 years ago

very interesting

• vriesea
    14 years ago

One of my favourite Tassel Ferns ,i had a big collection of them at one time including the ' Blue Tassel' some can be a bit tricky to grow in cultivation ,but interesting plants , Jack

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Allow me to show my ex-Huperzia squarrosa which has since gone to plant heaven.
    {{gwi:453806}}

and this is the new Blue Tassle fern
    {{gwi:453807}}
    {{gwi:453808}}

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I dont think I have the decades left to see mine the size of your late Huperzia. What happened to it? (is that a great looking Medinella?)
    And why "once had" Vriesea? You people keep me guessing!

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

I bought one once, it took about 2 years to die.
    BA

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Nice Medinella Magnifica ,also nice Antherium ( looks like Forgettii ,but doubt that )probably a Crystalinum hybrid ,trhe other plant ? not sure either a Anthurium or a Philodendron , Nice plants Lyndi , Stanofh ,I said had because when i sold out the Nursery i had years ago ,the Tassel fern collection was sold as well ,and never had the room to get back in to them again ,had a huge rare foliage collection but ? all sold off ,( bummer )
    Jack

Original Author
    14 years ago

Jack-I get it. Ive had some great plants in my hands and care over the years that had to be left behind. Sometimes it happens faster than you can deal with. Sort of like the great philosophical question,if your house is on fire-what possessions are the ones you grab going out the door?
    If I got 'blue tassle' it's right there with the cat..

Original Author
    14 years ago

Lyndi...about that great Huperzia? Sorry-its the nicest homegrown Ive seen on the net. Went dry?

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Oh! I can't claim credit for growing it to that size, it came like that but I did reverse the process and reduced it to a single branch.
    In this part of the world we have good supply of such specimens, sad to say, could be wild-collected.

Yes, that's a Medinella Magnifica which I have grown for many years but I couldn't get the blooms to grow as big as when it was first imported from Holland.

I keep quite a few Anthuriums and the most amazing is this one with huge leaves to about a metre long. No idea what it is, it came as a normall size plant with lime-green leaves.
    {{gwi:453809}}

{{gwi:453810}}

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Thats a beautifull Anthurium Grandifolium you have there Lyndi ,looking at the first photo i notice that you have a small velvet leaved Alocasia Micholitziana there , it s a bit touchy ,likes a lot of warmth and high humidity and ofcourse like all Aroids ,lots of food,ditto for your Medinella wich should boost the flowers a tad ,also when you repot that plant its always best to use half of the old mix with the new mix ,i used to grow
    them from seed , Jack

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

While this is off topic, allow me to add one more.

I got this Anthirium from a friend who grew it from seeds that he got from Mexico. I saw his in flower - nothing very striking - the spathe is long and thin and green. But the leaves are spectacular. His fully grown plant had leaves about 1 meter wide!

Here's what my young one looks like. Anybody have an idea what its name is?

{{gwi:453811}}

Original Author
    14 years ago

AHHhh.Well,its too bad but I understand-these plants are difficult. Look up the word "touchy" in the dictionary and there's a photo of a half dead Huperzia....

• splinter1804
    7 years ago

Hi everyone - While everyone's off topic I want to take this opportunity to post a couple of pic's of an orchid a friend bought. It had no name on the pot and she's been unable to get an ID for it ever since she bought it.

Can anyone please help?

All the best, Nev.

Original Author
    7 years ago

The Orchid Forum would know that Nev,I'm sure. Looks familiar.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    7 years ago

Link to the Orchid Forum.

tj

• splinter1804
    7 years ago

Hi everyone.

Thanks Stan, I found it and the name is Lockhartia oerstedii

All the best, Nev.