Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brom_adorer

Newbie seeking answers

brom_adorer
14 years ago

Hello!

I've been brousing this forum and think it's great with all the thoughtful questions and informative answers. I am hoping someone can give me some information on Vriesea tuerckhimmi? I purchased one recently, after being told 'You must have it in your collection' but I don't know why, and can't find any references to it. Does anyone know what it will do? Also, how do I post pics? Can't find an option to do so.

B_A

Comments (7)

• rickta66
    14 years ago

B_A,

I'm jealous that sounds like a rare plant, Vr.Tuerckheimii.

If you place "how to post photos" in the search box at the bottom of the page you should receive some good advice on posting pics.

You basically set up an external photo hosting account like Photobucket, upload your photos and paste in the HTML code into the text of your post, preview to see if it worked.

I'd love to see a photo of Vr.Tuerckheimii out of curiousty.

Cheers,

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Vr.Tuerckheimii

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Guys

I got Vr. tuerckheimii at Pinegrove Nursery in Northern NSW recently, they grow it in very bright light, some were in full sun with their Alcantarea's.

Photo etc. on page 301 of Bromeliaceaes of Venezuela, Francisco Oliva-Esteva & Julian A. Steyermark

A large plant, leaves to 1mtr, the flowering stem to 2-3mtr's high, candalabra like.

Pinkbroms

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Rick, thanks for that. Crikey! that sound a bit technological! I'll have to have a practise sometime when I'm in a patient mood! he he
    Hi Pink Broms, ME TOO! (Re Pinegrove recently)Do you know where I can get a look at that book? I'll check with the local library, or ask around, but I can't say I've come accross that one in my travels.
    I wanted to post pics of it last night, but just couldn't work it out!
    Ok, I've started at photobucket, I've found a hotmail code, so lets see {{gwi:468477}}
    Oh Look! I did it! *chuff chuff* Vriesea Teurckhimmii (by the way, thats how its spelled on the label, is it right?)

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, now I've got that sorted, I'll post a couple more showing the detail.
    First, the underside of the leaf has a smattering of tiny red dots
    {{gwi:468479}}
    The base also has the dots, and the frosting you can see wiped off, as it was condensation/dew
    {{gwi:468481}}
    and heres the label, with spelling as came with the plant
    {{gwi:468483}}
    whoops, looks like I've been adding an extra 'M'
    Sorry about that!

• rickta66
    14 years ago

B_A,

I'm glad to see you got the photos worked out, nice looking plant.

Pinkbroms,

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Rick

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I've always seen it spelled tuerckheimii, with an E, so that may be one reason why your searches came up empty. There doesn't appear to be much info on the web, though. That other GW thread linked above was about the best I could find too.

Gee, pinkbroms, I hope you got a good discount! ;-)

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Doh! I didn't see Ricks link until just now, so I followed it. Great start for me. I've asked for some pics of the flowers if anyone has one. I guess I can move mine out into brighter light, especially as we have our mild winter sun right now.
    Why is it not in the FCBS register?
    Oh man! Now I just realised I was putting the 'E' before the 'U'. *shame*
    Oh, wow, Lisa, I get many more hits in Google with the spelling change. Do you think its safe to say the correct spelling is 'Tuerckheimii'? I will change my label if so.
    B_A