Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avane_gw

Aech pectinata

avane_gw
15 years ago

I want to show you a very temperamental plant that now, finally, got it's act together - or maybe it's me! If you can remember, I showed a pictures of it on that 'Extravaganza at home' thread when it had some pink splashes. Shortly after, it lost all the pink when a mole walked past (between it's roots!) So I moved it up the trunk of a Jelly palm. About 2 months ago, it had some pink splashes again and then the sun moved higher in the sky and the palm tree started to give it more shade - gone were the pink splashes. So I trimmed the tree to give it a bit more sun. And that was also the time when it decided to flower. It is virtually next to the road and I saw a couple of cars slamming on brakes and a lot of people walking past, stop to comment on that plant!

Aech pectinata against the truck of that Jelly palm:

{{gwi:513378}}

And close-up with the sunlight from the back:

{{gwi:513380}}

And then it's true colours in the shade:

{{gwi:513382}}

Japie

Comments (33)

• bromcrazy
    15 years ago

WOW! That is awesome, Japie. I can certainly see how it is a traffic stopper.

HMMMM... off to find a suitable tree for my two insipid specimens.

• sander_s
    15 years ago

That's a stunner Japie!
    Very nice.

Sander

• inang
    15 years ago

yes, a break slammer! How much sun and/or food? Thanks!

• sdandy
    15 years ago

Wow, I've only seen one in the shade that was really tall and stretched out...and I thought that was good looking. Yours looks spectacular in the palm with bright light!

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Beautiful specimen and setting Japie!

Any chance of someone pinching it in the middle of the night (or daylight)?

K

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all!

Inang, the plant gets all the direct morning sun and then getting the dappled light through the canopy of palm leaves for the rest of the day as the sun goes higher. In the afternoon it is in full shade. The plant did not get any food!

Kerry, about a third of al my plants is in my front garden and there is no fence or wall around to protect them. Let's not talk about some of them deciding to go for a walk!!

Japie

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was wondering what pectinata would look like from the top, so I got the ladder out earlier today:
    {{gwi:513383}}

Kerry, and this is specially for you! It's a bit hard to see all the broms, but if you would walk past and decided to grab one or two, you will have a tough time deciding which! My property is on s street corner, so walk around the bend with me!
    {{gwi:513385}}
    {{gwi:513387}}
    {{gwi:513389}}

• inang
    15 years ago

Wow! The whole place is spectacular and so tidy. Thanks for sharing.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Ok Kerry you grab the broms I see a palm i want and its all I can carry with those three trunks on it (hehe)

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Japie, do you have Ae. biflora? I can't help thinking what a cross of those two might do....

• devo_2006
    15 years ago

Excellent photos Japie! Aechmea pectinata is a tricky plant to grow, & you seem to have found the perfect spot. Your front yard looks like a tropical oasis and the broms really do give the finishing touch.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Why thanks Japie! I so enjoyed our stroll around the bend, but I was so stupefied by the beauty that I had to recline on your immaculate lawn for a while, and take it all in.

Now I suggest you get back on that ladder, and take some more aerial shots....meanwhile, I'll just have to go "eenie-meenie-miney-mo" and grab as many broms to go, (while HDD grabs those palms), and then we'll do a runner!

hmmm...higher up that ladder Japie, higher!

Cheers,
    Crafty Kerry :)

• bromadams
    15 years ago

What kind of lawn grass do you have there? It doesn't look like the horrible stuff we have in Florida.

• cache
    15 years ago

My Aech pectinata bloomed this summer for the first time but unfortunately not as spectacularly as yours but for Michigan not bad at all. That is one stunning specimen and your garden isn't bad either-awesome!!

Cache

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago

Japie

I am sure your neighbours love to walk around your beautifully landscaped corner. Very inspiring!
    How about adding a bench or two for a short rest?

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lyndi, you're welcome for a rest on either the chairs or the bench! Wow, with you resting on the bench, Kerry reclining on the lawn, HDD digging out the palm, I'll have to put out the refreshments!

{{gwi:513391}}

{{gwi:513393}}

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hey Japie

lookin good man!

Cheers

Dennis

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Japie that palm is superb..but the best photo is you 65 ft up the big one trimming it LOL

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HDD, you want to come and hold the ladder for me, then I'll make a plant to trim these others again!

Thanks Dennis! When are you coming to Cape Town to come and see for yourself? Looking forward to it!

Japie

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Sure Japie or I will climb the palm my garden tour is over LOL

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi Japie

I am looking at next week! Maybe Wed/Thursday. Are there any plants that you are after that I can bring along?

Cheers

Dennis

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

Just a great idea for the billion Washingtonia's in California. Behind a good sturdy fence if you catch my drift.

15 years ago

Also Japie, you are able to grow Crotons? that last pic. What about bottle palms .I can't tell if that's a bottle or spindle palm. You must be able to get coconut to grow,if not fast? borderline?

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Stanofh

I have quite a number of Crotons - I showed them on this forum about a year ago. When my garden was new still, I planted lots of them and they all died but they seem to like the micro climate that I created.

If you look at the tree pictures 'walking around the bend' above, in the first picture, between the Triangular palm and the Strelizia, is my Bottle Palm - still small. In the third picture, fairly in the centre, just right of the Pritchardia affinis, is my Spindle palm, a bit bigger. Coconut? Forget it! I tried, though.

JApie

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hey guys

Speaking of coconuts: I think my last soldier standing has been put to rest by the rhino beetles...three attacks in the last 3 days....its not looking pretty. They managed to "drill" about 20cm into the heart before I could get it out.

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago

Wow! Japie

Nice, cosy corner to have tea, will you just send the air-tickets, thanks!

15 years ago

Japie that is very interesting to hear about the crotons. I planted 'mammy' in a very similar situation..under slight cover,surrounded by other plants in the part of the yard that warms up much earlier in the day than the rest of the property. So far no loss of leaves-in a climate (S.F. bay area)where they usually are defoliating by late October and dead by Thanksgiving(27th)Day.
    One other thing.You have the most silvery Butia I have ever seen-It's Bismarckia silver.Congratulations on a great garden.

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks stanofh! Here is a link to the other post where I showed some of my crotons.

Here is a link that might be useful: Last days of Summer

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Crotons are just one step above weeds here. If you see a house with a neglected landscape the only things surviving are crotons and queen palms. But, I think they are making a comeback as more varieties are available and people are using them a bit more judiciously. I even have some, but I inherited them.

I've been strapping little guzmanias and orchids to them but it's really hard to see an epiphyte in the interior of a croton.

15 years ago

neomea,if your still there-you had coconuts in South Africa? what part?.Difficult or doable- besides that beetle?
    So few coconut growing stories where they are marginal..or California like weather..cool winters etc. Its either they are thriving or..like me,most likely a failed(soon to be) attempt.

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi Stan

The majority of the South African East coast (I am in Durban, Westville) has a sub-tropical climate. Coconuts and most palms are easy to grow....V. splendida and other tropical palms grow fine...C.renda struggles in the hills where I live but is ok closer to the coast.

I live in a valley and its VERY cold (for this part of the world) with temps down to 5c in winter. Winters are dry and the days sunny and warm...mostly above 20c. So Cocos does well....EXCEPT for the d@$% beetles!

Below a pic from the garden.

{{gwi:513396}}

15 years ago

Thanks neomea. Oh,I can see you have a much warmer climate. Diffenbachia's and that tri color Ctenanthe are strict house plants for me.I'm not sure the palms you mentioned could take our cool summer nights!
    When I hear the name Durban it reminds me of those nature shows on Rhino's and their last refuge.
    Thanks again.

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi Stan

I have a river at the bottom of the garden Stan, less that 100 years ago there were still hippos, crocs, rhinos, elephants and all manner of wild life unfortunitly all now long gone...there are many game reserves and private game farms within 2 hours drive of Durban...

Cheers for now

Dennis

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions