Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Attn: bandjzmom

caterwallin
13 years ago

I notice that you're interested in raising Lunas. It's something I've never done but have thought about, maybe someday. I think it would be fun as long as a person has enough food for them. I thought maybe you'd be interested in reading a thread that was started by MissSherry several years ago when she was raising them. There's lots of good information there that I'm sure will help you be prepared. Just click on the link I've included here...

Here is a link that might be useful: Luna Moth Caterpillars

Comments (7)

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

Hey there Cathy!
    You know that I am interested in raising it all!! Just the thought of raising something so majestic makes me giddy! I will definitely read the info. If I can manage having enough of the host plants, I want to give it a try. You know that I am a conscientious raiser. I wouldn't even try it if I didn't think I could succeed. An informed steward is a better steward! Thanks a bunch! ~~Angie

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Angie :) I wasn't sure if you wanted to be incognito or not so I didn't say your name. Ha. Yes, I know how excited and conscientious you are about raising leps, and I thought you'd really enjoy going through that thread. I have to check around before I raise them to make sure that I will have enough food. Maybe I'll just let you go first and you can tell me how much they eat. ;) I guess you know that we live next to woods, but I almost have to have smaller trees (I think) than what most of the ones here are (so I can reach the branches). There are a few small walnut trees, so I'll give it a whirl some year. I wouldn't want to raise any this year though because I have plenty of butterfly cats here already that I can't turn my back on. :) Those lunas sure are beautiful though! I saw a Luna moth here a few years ago but didn't know back then about raising them.
    Cathy

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

Cathy, I was researching host plants for the Luna, and according to a GA Wildlife Federation list I found, Persimmon is a host. It just so happens that my immediate next door neighbor has 2 big Persimmon trees! In fact, the persimmons are always falling into my yard, and I have collected some collected seed in my frige. Cool!

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Angie,

You're on the right track! Finding out what is listed as host plants in your state and having the trees close by, is a good indicator that there are Lunas around.

Sandy

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

Thanks Sandy. I just happen to be a person who adores researching subjects which interest me. I will exhaust myself before I give up on finding the information that I am looking for! So, I tend to try to saturate myself with all that I can learn about whatever it is I want to know about. I will be educated and ready if and when I decide to try raising them. :o)

• annainok
    13 years ago

Gosh. If persimmon is a host plant, I should be drowning in Lunas! We have dozens of them.

Anna

• runmede
    13 years ago

I've raised them before and in my area they like Black Walnut and Sweet Gum. They will tolerate River Birch--worse than trying to get a toddler to eat foods that they don't particularly care for.

Luna Moth,
    Actias luna

Here is a link that might be useful: Actias luna: Eggs to Adult Moths

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions