Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rupertinco

Help with succulent ID

RUPERTinCO
10 years ago

I got these two cuttings from a friend, they are off of the same adult plant, but she couldn't tell me what it was. The elongated leaves have little red-brown dashes, also serrated edges. The little guy on the right I put too close to heat (oops!) and when the top got burned, it started producing the small off-shoots. Would love to know what this is to provide it the best care possible!

Not sure how to post multiple photos to a message, so I may add a couple of close-ups that I got later.

Comments (18)

• RUPERTinCO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Additional photo of cutting on right

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

IDK what they are, just that they need more sun. Is the soil really wet?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Looks like an Aeonum of some species, but they're overpotted and underlit - these are full-sun plants, so if you can't give them full sun give them as much sun / light as possible and ease up on the watering. You also have them overpotted in soil that's not porous enough - cut the soil with 50% perlite and put them in smaller pots, about an nch of growing space around the roots.

• RUPERTinCO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, well, they were not in the window at the time I took their photo, but they normally live in my south-facing window. As for overpotting, that was how the cuttings were handed off to me... 50% perlite seems like a lot, but I will do this when I repot. I did a quick image search of Aeonium, and they look related for sure. Beautiful plants in this genus. Thanks for the help!

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

50% perlite may seem like a lot, but they really need it to improve their drainage w/ this kind of mix. The Poster who suggested it has grown his share of Aeoniums, so he does speak from experience.

The overpotting & the too rich mix, both suggest they were potted up & given you by someone who doesn't know the correct & healthy drainage & potting requirements of most succulents.

10 years ago

Rupert,

These are generally from the Canary Islands, which get their rains in winter, hence their greatest amount of growing is going on now, despite the snow and ice I see outside my windows.

Aeoniums are great for several reasons - they're winter-growers, they're the only (possibly) plant genus with the vowels of the name in order of alphabetical sequence, and the genus name is also seven letters long.

If you see their natural habitat (great spareness generally) you'll realize 50% is not too much, in fact it may not be enough if you're watering too often.

Karen,

Soon I plan to be basking in bowers of Aeonium balsamiferum.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 15:16

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hey Jeff,

It's gonna smell great, would that be in SD as I see you're coming in March? Am guessing those Aeoniums wouldn't be doing much in Canada, but then again, if they're w/ you ...

• RUPERTinCO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the more searching of Aeoniums I do, the less convinced I am that this is one, but whatever it is I'm sure all of the pointers about succulents will help me. I am going to try to get a good picture of the parent plant if I can, would still love to know exactly what it is...

10 years ago

Karen,

Yes, I'm lucking down there, and yes, all mine are in growth mode now.

Rupert,

The cilia along the leaves are a giveaway, but if you're convinced.....

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Well, Rupert, I brought some more internet for your convincing pleasure.

This is your plant. You made me use my flash. Keep this between you and me, k?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Ryan, those are sooo nice...Rina

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Lovely markings, I hadn't seen this one before. What's its name?

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Somewhat like Aeonium simsii & somewhat like Aeonium barbatum, although I don't think you'll find the latter in the trade.

• RUPERTinCO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome! That plant surely does look very similar to the cuttings I have! Thanks for posting the photo, hanzrobo.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

This has been a good example of low-light morphing some plants into virtually unrecognizable condition.

Rupert, if interested, your pic would be a great addition to this discussion.

10 years ago

All the internet Aeoniums are belong to Ryan.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Well, if I own them, I will be know their names, for which I still count on my Ro.

Rupert, glad to help.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Good one, Jeff! Haven't heard that silly quote since my son graduated from HS. Of course, they drove me batty with it and now its running through my little head again. LOL