Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctreeteac

Little bit of a flower flop

Colleen E
10 years ago

Hello all,

I have had this happen with my E. agavoides blooms for the three years I've had the plant. The blooms never fully develop; they get to this point and then begin shriveling up. No evident problems with the bloom stalk; just the blooms.

{{gwi:502431}}

{{gwi:502434}}

I was wondering whether anyone has encountered similar. Average temps in the greenhouse would be between 55 and 70; best I can do. Fans running the best I can manage for air flow. The failure blooms don't sadden me too much as I most enjoy foliage, but it's sure consistent for me.

Ah, well. I have better success with silver. :)

{{gwi:502438}}

Colleen

This post was edited by teatree on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 1:48

Comments (6)

• bob61
    10 years ago

Hi Colleen

I have some trouble with E. agavioides too at least the blooming faze. There seems to be several forms of it going around. The blooms always bunch up at the end of the scape but the flowers do open. Maybe your plants are not old enough.
    Bob

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Sorry, Colleen, never seen this before. I guess it could be due to slightly too much cold when developing the inflorescence. My other guess would be that it gets just enough sun to bloom but not enough to bloom properly. These guys can take lots of sun.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for guessing along with me. Well, I have been guessing not enough warmth, but who knows. Their conditions aren't going to particularly be able to change, so this is where it's at. Jeff now has one of these guys, so we'll see whether he manages to get 'm to bloom. I'm certain it's me, not the plant.

What they have done, surprising to me, is root and produce from leaf remarkably easily.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

I've had a similar problem with a NOID. I have blamed aphids, which I don't see but have found on other plants outside around the house. They are outside in full sun in a breezy area. We have had once brief spell of temps in the 40s at night, so maybe that is when the buds formed?

I finally got ONE inflorescence to bloom. In this pic you can see 2 that are glommed together. That is what I usually get, although they are usually bunched up at the end. They open slightly to a crispy reddish brown flower sometimes. Weird! The plants are only abut 6 months old.

If you scroll down the link below, there are more pictures. Maybe it is a crazy hybrid problem for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: NOID inflorescence

• echemaniac
    10 years ago

Seems to be prevelent with Echeveria agavoides ' Red Edge' I have about 50 different forms of Echeveria agavoides and this form is the only one that the flower stem comes to nothing.. In all the years I have had it, it has never got to flower opening

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting. Thank you for the perspectives. The test will be when my other E. agavoides (solid green) does or does not bloom properly. It's to blooming size, but I've yanked its flower stalk due to an aphid attack...attacked nothing else, but started on that stalk. My gut does say it's a matter of too low of temperatures, or that's at least not helping.

I admire those Echeveria, Crenda. Really pretty.