Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's see them Euphorbias!!!

Posted by bsmith717 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 9:55

Continued from...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg100243033393.html

Spring is at the door step, smoke em if you got em!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's see them Euphorbias!!!

Brandon, not sure why no one has chimed in on this wonderful post, so I will be the first. Here are some that are just waking up...

photo DSC_Euph2_zps3478780d.jpg
 photo DSC_Euph5_zps67b6e0aa.jpg
 photo DSC_Euph3_zps02c29cc8.jpg
 photo DSC_Euph4_zps55680e62.jpg
 photo DSC_Euph1_zps73849cc3.jpg

o

Looks like they all just woke up and now blooming. Do you think you might get some cross pollination? Seeds coming?
I am going to post mine but waiting for nicer weather so I can bring them out.
Stush

o

The flowers on the suzanne were just crossed with the francoisii in the above pictures. Don't know if it will take. While it's hard to appreciate, the flower on the francoisii at 6 o'clock was pollinated with suzanne and has only one of three chambers developing. So I won't know for some time about the seed.

BTW: So Brandon where might your contribution to your thread be????

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 16:07

o

Here are three Euphorbia squarrosa. They are not from seed as I only have one stock plant. These are arm divisions. Over time, I have slowly raised each plant to reveal their swollen roots, not a true caudex that would normally form from seed grown plants. I have found one must leave the plant alone for at least a year or more before unearthing. I think the one on the right might be ready for a bonsai dish?????

o

Uhhhh so awesome. I'm going to have to see about getting one of my own.

o

Spring time with a slight chance of snow

o

Howard,
Are your Euphorbias from Madagarcar? The leaves of my seedlings are beginning to look simular to some of yours.

nomen,
Nice example. Did you have to remove any babies from the base area? If so, how did they do? The ones I bought has many and is still very small. I plan to repot them and give as gifts.

Stush

o

Yes, Stan. All but the Monadenium are from Madagascar. I must say the name on the Monadenium may be wrong. So if anyone happens to have a better name, please chime in!

o

Update on my seeds. Euphorbia mix. Out of 100 seeds. Maybe 20 germinated. Not so good. I know it's a bad picture.
Howard, can you start to ID any yet?
Stush

o

Sorry, Stan. They are still a bit small and some may be of the Spurge family but not the "type" we usually think of as Euphorbia. The ones that are sporting some spines may be of the E. milii group.

You know Stan, the more I look at those in front, the more I wonder if they might not be E. viguieri???? These are my seedlings planted 8/2013

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 14:49

o

E.vigueri-from the seed (about 2in), mother plant over 30 inches.

o

The guy I purchased the seed from said they are all Madagascar plants that he sells on EBay. And they all look good.

o

Well these don't compare w/ the outdoor beauties, but one does what one can (indoors in Brooklyn).

Supposedly a cutting off an award winner of Jerry Barad, by way of another vendor.

photo P1100882_zpsf081a785.jpg

some lovely no ID white

photo P1100907_zpse9f76bb5.jpg

another white

photo P1100884_zps2c5adb64.jpg

Luckily, I still have some west window, where these grow (I finally put in an A/C which ate up most of this west window).

photo P1100908_zpsed0f213.jpg

Lastly, my beloved E. milii x moratii, first bloom since I cut it back hard last Summer.

photo P1100909_zpsd9404176.jpg

I grow this w/ strong memories of late / great friend & mentor Roger Zimmerman, he shared his cuttings of this w/ us.

He regarded this as one of those plants not so readily available commercially, but more shared among gardeners.

photo P1100880_zps3e91c1a5.jpg

Can't get enough of this little beauty.

photo P1100878_zps358bb370.jpg

(BMock, I'd been trying for a cutting of this for ya, but I lost it; will try another.)

I love the variety of the all the Euphs. on this thread!

o

Thanks stush, the newest baby has been left in the same pot and thus far is doing very good I plan on having four 'snowflakes' in the same pot.

Removal of babies ASAP is better than later as the babies root can grow thick into the main( mother) plant and need some surgury to remove.

When thick enough all of them in the same pot can aslo become difficult at times to keep filled or water.

Euphorbia horrida is certain ( not a 100 % but best match) var. nova with thick ribs to main root.

o

Here's one of my favourite. It grows so slowly and I was worried I was keeping it too wet. But every time I miss a few days off a weekly it stops growing leaves (and it grows leaves very slowly as it is.

I tried to order 7 Euphorbias just a few weeks ago. Bad luck had it so I didn't get them and they rotted in a box in Florida (I imagine). So I get pangs of sadness looking a this forum and seeing plants I would have otherwise had!

o

Nice plant..remember where you purchased it? What other 7 plants did you order? I'd like to know from where but that information is better exchanged by private email.

Howard

o

milottii,
susannae marinarae,
venifica,
francoisii,
bupleufleuria,
iharanae,
decaryi spirosticha,

These were my top choices and I was so saddened. But it wasn't the greenhouses issue and they were actually quite organized and quick. A friend of mine was going to florida and was going to bring the plants over with her so I had it mailed to her friends house.

So bad luck meant that she didn't get the plants. Her friend said she would mail it to me in Canada but just basically never did. It was sad and I think they must have just thrown away the plants entirely.

Canada sucks for euphorbs.

As for the plant I uploaded, it's a cutting from a friend and is basically my favourite.

o

coldeuphorb,
I would check with China or Thailand for seeds. Seeds usually come in with no problems. Right now, it should be easy to get and germinate some. By next year, you should have some we only dream about.
Stush

o

Stan, do you have any specific vendors who sell Euphorbia seed?

o

I would also like to know. I have not seen any seed places from Thailland or China but I've seen some plant pictures of stuff I've never seen cultivated. The only place I've ever bought seeds from was Koehres. But seeds end up being expensive based on the yield in my opinion but it's a fun activity for sure.

o

My China seeds was for Clivia. The Euphorbias came from US. Purchased from Samuel Rodriguez on EBay. Exotic_cactus_collection is another.

o

Some of the ebay sales seem good in terms of available stuff. But it's very expensive. It's good to hear that they are at least legit.

o

Euphorbia Lactea 'Cristata'
Candelabra, Dragon Bones, Elkhorn

NOT a graft...It grows this way.

This post was edited by LatinLady on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 23:19

o

From the top...

o

Sorry, I half posted like 3 times. Been busy.

Howard, sweet plants as always!

Got these guys a couple months ago.

E.Ferox

photo IMG_3680_zpsfd2170e6.jpg

E.Genoudiana

photo IMG_3679_zps3c33bce7.jpg

o

Here is my euphorbia mayurnathanii! I just got it a month ago, and I've got it inside for now until I repot him into something lovely and hand-painted..

Does anyone happen to know if this cactus likes very hot, direct sunlight? I was told at the nursery that they can only take about an hour/per day, and not much heat. Seems crazy to me, as it's a cactus. There doesn't seem to be much info online for them either... any advice much appreciated!

L

o

Barb, I like it.

LatinLady,
That is a graft. A E. latea crasta onto a E. latea. And a very nice one at that. I also have the white ones as well. They can grow with out being grafted. Also they revert. I have to trim several regular growths from mine from time to time. I plant them up as E. latea 'White Ghost'.

o

Leighla,
Euphorbias' are not cactus. The are from Africia and cactus is from America. They have since been interplanted and they share simular traits. Euphorbias can sun burn and form a brown bark that is unsightly. Your advise was good. Also they require more waterings. Some links to check;
http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/SUCCULENTS/Family/Euphorbiaceae/Euphorbia/
http://www.theplantlist.org/browse/A/Euphorbiaceae/Euphorbia/
Hope it helps.
Stush

o

Leighla, this is a succulent, not a cactus. It is one of several "candelabra" Euphorbia. It should be planted in good draining mix. If you acclimate slowly to increasing sunlight, you should be able to give it full sun all day, depending where you live. It will not tolerate being cold and wet.

o

Howard,
We crossed posted. Good advise added to mine already. I have a large (5 foot) E. latea that I use sand and garden soil. It is as hard as cement. I don't want that plant to grow any more than it has. I am having a hard time with it's growth rate. Not a good advise for others to follow for sure. Some of my big Euphorbias are in that mix. If I had them in good draining soil, they might be bigger than my house!
Stush

o

Stush,

Thanks for responding.

This is NOT a graft. I pulled this plant as a straight 4" Euphorbia from my mother's garden in the Caribbean. All of hers have these spectacular undulated & ruffled heads. In fact, as mentioned previously, she has a "bush" of these growing under a window that is roughly 4 feet tall x 3 feet wide.

Within months of my getting it home, it began growing its wild head right before my eyes. I watched with amazement as that head got bigger each month.

Nothing has been grafted onto this plant. That brown ring where the head starts is just corking where the head came in. I believe the corking is due to the width of the head being bigger than the plant's base, creating a stress at the neck. I have added a photo where it clearly shows this is NO graft - One of the sides did not develop that corking.

All the best to you.

o

Some of these may have appeared in other Euphorbia posts.

Stan, you don't grow this outside year 'round, do you? Pittsburg gets pretty cold in the winter!

o

Howard,

You seem to have a never-ending collection of superb plants!

What's the name of centre plant, middle row?

Please and thanks.

Dan

o

Back Row: E. fasciculata, E. millotti, E. capmanambatoensis

Middle: E. stellaespinae, E. meloformis, E. lactea 'Gray Ghost'

Front: E. lactea cristata, E. aquarrosa, E. poissonii

o

Many thanks... will put that on my wish list.
Planning on a greenhouse visit soon.

o

Here are a few more that may interest you:

Back: E ambovombensis, E. francoisii

Front: E. suzanne-marnierae, E. cylindrifolia v tuberifera, E. francoisii (Red)

Where in Canada are you and what greenhouse(s) do you visit? Are they wholesale/retail or just to visit places?

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 16:42

o

Thanks Stush and Bikerdoc, had no idea this was a succulent. Looks can be deceiving..!

Stush, I had a read through of the links you sent me and there was some helpful info, cheers for that. Given what I read, I might just keep it indoors since it appears to be a bit sensitive to temps/humidity. Now I just need to a nice-looking tall vase and we'll be set. :)

o

Morning Howard,

Thanks for the extra pics

I'm in rural S. Ontario. The greenhouse I enjoy visiting is a family run business 55 years in the running. About an acre of modern poly greenhouses mostly dedicated to production of annuals and perennials for seasonal retail sales. It has additions/inclusions of areas for tropicals, indoor pre-bonsai, orchids, hard goods, etc...and an additional attachment of 40' x 140' dedicated to a well designed cactushouse. Great place to escape to during the cold winter months. Although, did'nt manage to get there this past winter.

I'll let you know if I come home with some real goodies. I've been oogling, and googleing all of you and your c & s addicts pics for that last few months and making notes of those plants that may do well in my environment. I do have a small collection, but indoor growing space is very much coveted in my home.

Cheers,

Dan

o

Dan, might you be more specific about "rural"? I'm in Detroit, MI and used to go to Colasanti's outside of Windsor, Canada. It's been a very long time since I've ventured there and for all I know they aren't anymore.

o

Doc, my condolences for your Wings. Damned bears!

Rural=1/2 way between L Ont. (Toronto) and Georgian Bay (Owen Sound). Windsor is about 3 1/2 hrs away on a good day.

'Colasanti's' ring's a dim bell. I used to do trips many years ago selling nursery stock to garden centres from Toronto and SW to Windsor, and may have sold them product at some point??? Will do a quick search and see if they're still around...and maybe plan a day trip.

Thanks!

o

I have a small Euphorbia tirucalli that I have in a pot with my oddly colored Aloe vera (it was a deep purple when I bought it from a nursery yesterday) and my small Crassula portulacaria. I am actually kind of afraid of my Euphorbia tirucalli because of the sap it produces that can severely burn if it comes in contact with skin. I am dreading the day I have to prune it.

o

LatinLady,
Sorry, but from the picture, it did look like one. You would know better. I wish you could post a picture of your Mother's plant. It looks like a revision that turned back into a cresta. Wow, I hope mine does that. Also that base stem looks to have 4 sides?
Howard,
Are you kidding me. Of course I have to bring them in come end of Sept. and not out again till May. What a bummer. I need a green house like you.

Euphorbia for some reason turning out to be my #1 plant for now anyway.
Stush

o

Here's good old' suzannae and a bonus squarossa.

o

While I can't really appreciate the plant on the right, question that it is E. squarrosa. Typically, E. squarrosa has triangular branches as seen on the plant on the left while E. stellate has flat branches.

o

• Posted by bob61 8a shreveport (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 20:56

Just repotted these two. E. cereiformis V. submammillaris

o

Just took a photo of my cristate Euphorbia. I got this from someone who was quitting collecting and I got this and a old E. viguerii, really nice.

o

Howard,

Colasantis is alive and well. Wow! That's quite a spread!!

Thanks for the heads up!

Dan

o

I know, Dan. I googled them last night and was surprised to see the family has continued the business. I will be making a trip there in the coming weeks; it's only about an hour from my home.

I wonder if they do mail order as this might be a source for those who live in Canada with regard to receiving plants from the USA.

o

Not sure about mail order, didn't see mention of it.. but only had a brief look. Did see the notice about restrictions of plants going back to the US. How will you handle that ?
Will they let you bring them back w/o soil?... or do you have connections ! ? !

Don't take all the good ones!

o

You know the old saying, "Pay your money, take your chances." I've been somewhat successful by not saying anything about plant material. So unless they decide to search my car, there usually isn't a problem. And, unless they have some really "special" items, I probably won't purchase anything.

o

OK, Good luck. Will look forward to seeing pics from a successful trip.

o

bob61,
How do you tell them apart from all the other look-a-likes? I have a E. cereiformis coming my way but not anything like your V. submammillaris. Looks like the 'Snowflake' kind you got. Love them.
Stush

o

Stush,

Yes, the bottom part has 4 sides...It was a beautiful little specimen, which is why I brought it home with me. I was mortified when it began growing it's crested head...Completely changed my baby's look!

Well, I've since grown fond of the whole quirky thing...It's actually the topic of conversation whenever someone sees it. I see several beautiful plants posted here and wish I had them all.

I will definitely take pictures of my mom's garden and the mother of all Euphorbias the next time I get out to the Caribbean. It's amazing to see how gigantic Agaves and Cereus grow there...Agaves can take up a NY back yard and Cereus can grow taller than a ranch house.

My father showed me how to remove the 'needle' tip of the agave - It comes off "threaded" and island natives used to sew with it! That is so cool. My paternal great grandfather, although his ancestors came from Spain, was a Curandero Total (Shaman)...His wife, my great grandmother was a descendant of the Taino/Arawak Indian. Together, they passed down medicinal knowledge of plants to the family. As a result, we all have an innate & deep respect for the land, not only for what it gives us and how it sustains us, but also for the way it embraces us and makes us a part of itself. This is why we call that familiar chunk of land "Home" and why we instinctively love sticking our hands in soil!

I brought home a Cereus from my mother's garden and it turned into a sorry little fairy castle on my window sill...amazing. The original plants are about 16" across and God knows how tall. Well, at least I didn't kill anything!

All the best to you.

o

LatinLady,
Living in NYC must put a damper on your collection. Do you have large window space? Yard? And I would love to see all those pictures when you go next time.
Stush

o

Stush,

Well, it's not the living in NYC, but the living in an apartment that puts a damper on my thirst to grow. I'm lucky to have 10 foot ceilings and large bay windows that receive sun from three directions in my living room. Each window has 2 shelves plus the sill to hold my plants - So I have a 3-tier setup similar to the one in the photo.

What's really frustrating is that I used to live in the Caribbean and had blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, a soursop tree, 2 types of avocados, passion fruit, goji, a lemon tree, an orange tree, papaya trees, banana trees, aloes, tons of orchids, the endless scent of jasmine, beautiful double & triple hibiscus, and all sorts of goodies growing in my back yard. I even had an almond tree as the canopy to the back of the house. Oh the memory of sitting under that canopy after work to read a good book!!

Life feels so unsatisfactory to me without real growing space!! It's in my blood....The passion comes out in my postings. I plan to eventually move to warmer climates soon...or go batty!!

This post was edited by LatinLady on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 13:42

o

I've been growing this Euphorbia lactea crestate for about 10 years now. Just repotted it about 3 weeks ago.

Now I've been told this looks like an E. meloformis f. cristata! Problem is that I want to show it at the LACSS show next month & identification is paramount.

This post was edited by lakim on Thu, May 8, 14 at 22:30

o

Lakim, far be it for me to question the ID of your plant, but the usual E. lactea cristata has more "open" furrows and the whitish "lactea" marbling seen in the un-crested version. I believe yours may be E. kibwezensis cristata, 1st cousin once removed.

o

Well, that's what it was sold to me as by a very reputable cactus & succulent nursery.

Also, my Euphorbia anoplia is beginning to crest after having had it for at least 5 years.

But I could be wrong... :>)

o

The primary reason I don't believe it is E. lactea cristata is it doesn't have the white markings that E. lactea has whether crested or not... at least from your picture, I don't see any.

o

LatinLady,
Oh my, you have been holding out on us. And I agree with you. It would take a lot to keep me in NYC. Sorry for all those living there. I also love the open and dream of moving to a warmer climate. Good luck.
lakim,
Your crestate is very beautiful but I agree with Bikerdoc. It looks like another variety other than latea. Which would make it more rarer and more valuable. Doesn't look like ours.
Stush

o

I finally got around to potting up my babies today. Got them in a humus/sand bed kept on the dry side and covered. Also potted up my Euphorbia seedling mix. Got about 26 seedlings out of 100 seeds.
Stush

o

Great job, Stan. Here's hoping you root all of them... then you can share one or two with me.... (-:

Howard

o

E.Genoudiana nicer flowers kind of looks like a variatin of E. rossii

Allowing dibs on the E. horrida pups ? Nice to see you got that many and they all look really good seems to be faster than most other suxs in growing and was kind of easier. I think you should do well with 100 %

On a lighter note my E. obesa sex scandel is over after some forced exchanging with my snowflake here are my results

This post was edited by nomen_nudum on Fri, May 2, 14 at 20:34

o

Hi Stan,

I was kinda partial to yours E.h's before you removed all the pups.
Still look great though, and glad to see your graciously gifting the new transplant babies to those in need! Not that Howard needs any.. Lol

One question- How long will it take for those E's to grow new pups that size ?

Dan

o

Evening Dan In refferance to your question concerning euphorbia pup growth rate. Anyones results could be different please use the following pics and chatty convo as a guide Ii hope it helps to answer your question.

photo 011_zps64154c15.jpg

E. polygona ' snowflake' pup fisrt time I noticed any new pup was mid Jan 2014 newly added to my collection Aug 2013 with the mother being apx eight years in age no prior pup experiances are known to me.

E. polygona Cv. unknown was added to my collection May 2011 at age 2.

photo 007_zps54f3ae2c.jpg

Pup to date the only pup was first noticed mid June 2013

Persoanl culivating experiances : Both of these have odd and seeminly diferent growing times. The second unknown CV won't even budge untill out side and the temps are at 80 or higher as CV snowflake flowers in the dead of winter inside under T - 6 CFL at 13 hrs per day ( I'm sure it'll be getting shifted but cant wait to see how Snowflake does during it's first summer in my un known Cv. polygona hot spots )

From a prior post of mine up there somewhere is Euphorbia horrida (Cv. nova ?) It has been carring the same pups for the past three yeas and had lost one of them last season. To date I've not gotten it to flower under the same day by day growing conditons as either polygonas for more seedling. This season my E. horrida will not be sharing in the same prime 'hot spot(s)' as my unknown Cv E. polygona as it has in the past.

Thank you Stan for letting me chime in and would like to read (and see) what you have to add..

o

• Posted by bob61 8a shreveport (My Page) on
    Sat, May 3, 14 at 7:44

Stush My plants were purchased at H. D. in a Altman cactus display. Thats the name they had. All these things do look alike except horrida, It is a stand out. Got to get one some day. Some great looking plants displayed here.

Bob

o

Thanks nomen, seems like some patience is required here.
I hope to add a E. horrida to my humble collection soon, but growing conditions will be much different than yours-50 to 60 degree west facing window sills in the dead of winter, and outside between June to Sept. with whatever ma nature throws at it. I will take necessary precautions in regards to excessive rain,wind,etc...though.

Dan

o

I wish I could add something here but I am still learning. The pups grew much faster while on the mother plant. Makes sense since it had a better food supply. Once established, in a few months, I believe I should see some growth. And all are welcome to have them. Just postage. I do want to get some size on them first.
Howard, you are first and take your pick.
Stush

o

Sounds good for you Dan my south windows with racking in front ( combo double pane slide down triple pane bottom half during winter ) low temps here are low enough for five six months frost .

Yep very good idea indeed, try to keep the inner pot and plant base more heavier (sp)than light for winds.

Picked this up at a show table in April
E. milli creasted.

This post was edited by nomen_nudum on Sun, May 4, 14 at 22:51

o

Thanks nomen...Your E. milli has bonsai character. Very nice!

o

Good evening ya'll your all just a bunch of plant addicts lol.. :) but then that's why were all friends right ;)
So I was inspired by all the pics so I had to step outside to capture this shot of my Euphorbia, if I didn't know any better by now I would of thought this would of been a Hen & chicks plant as this one seems to be brooding over her chickie's .

So many interesting stories from New York city, Pennsylvania, Boston, Massachusetts and then way back down to California. Did I leave anyone's home town or State out? If so please mention your location.

Greg

o

Just another shot of the upper part of my Snow flake.

Greg

o

One very nice looking and very big E.Snowflakes OMG looks more like the whole blizzard

o

Time for more photos. A lot of mine are in a root less state and not out side yet. Picture one. (how I wish they could take more than one)

o
see them Euphorbias!!!

Picture two.

o

Last picture for now. Notice I got a 6" heavy duty gutter mounted on the side of my front porch. Purfect for my collection in pots. The end sides are not sealed so excess water can't collect.
Stush

o

Heres a few if mine, African snowflake, trigona of some sort, euphorbia mammillaris variegata (Indian corn cob) And a grafted Lactea crests

o

KittieKAT,
That is a nice grafted E. lactea crests. It will go well grafted on a long stem like that. Most are too small grafted and get funny looking after awhile. Watch for reversials on them and cut them off once they get big enought to root on their own. I have a nice E. lactea 'White Ghost' for a cutting. It has yellow on one side arm. If it stays, I am going to plant it off on it's own. I have been looking for a yellow 'Ghost'. Yours may be doing the same!
Stush

o

Hmmmm that's interesting i didn't think of that i just chaulked it up to scarring of some sort, it's funny you talk about the base being long cause it literally goes into that pot about 2.5 inches, it was so long and so top heavy i had to put stones on top to keep it from jumping off the window sill, LOL! Just got this beauty last night from my bf.....does he kno ME and what i like or What! Lol

o

Yikes just caught up with this thread. Good catch on my "squarrosa"... It's likely a hybrid of squarossa x stellata, older plants produce both flat and angular stems.
Here is a cylindrifolia that was quite charming some weeks ago.
Great idea on the plant gutter, stush.

-Ming

o

I love the gutter idea too! I may do that in front of my windows on the inside!

o

Beautiful plants. Here's my baby. Was gifted to me 2 months ago.

o

Here' my other lactea crest, this one's got like3 different colors, it's a monster size and very odd color scheme on it, this is by far my biggest one i almost think it's trying to take over the stalk, this is one of the side views

o

Here's a top view

o

I also have a few of them (the usual ones),an Euphorbia tirucalli from a piece i salvaged from the compost bin of a nursery.
 photo IMG_1293_zps9e35f85d.jpg
Various E. milii (its difficult to find other colors here)
 photo IMG_1172_zps1034d1ce.jpg
 photo IMG_0984_zps86506a6b.jpg
 photo IMG_1217_zpsbf8ad036.jpg
and my seedlings E. milii:
this one (2 year old) is gangly because it didnt have enough light during winter and i contemplated cutting it almost to the base..but i didnt have the courage!however it gave me its first flower!its a cross between a (gone now) E.milii 'lutea' and one of the thick stemmed Thai reds.Im curious about the color of the flower.
 photo IMG_1323_zps168e7031.jpg
 photo IMG_1353_zps89faf178.jpg
this one ( a few months old) is perfect in every way,smooth leaves tinged with red and short internodes.I wish it keeps that form!
 photo IMG_1320_zps2666810f.jpg
and this one is an all green one that i DID chop because it was becoming etiolated.
 photo IMG_1324_zps2880a912.jpg
I also tried seeds of other Euphorbia forms with minimum success...

o

Gosh those last few blooms, just gorgeous & the pix absolutely stunning. Thx for posting!

My Euph francoisii w/ caudex w/ which I play Bonsai. No wire on hand, so I used bamboos canes, chopsticks & rubber bands.

photo P1100943_zps7101653b.jpg

Here showing its caudex, sort of rust colored.

photo P1100945_zps08ad6d5b.jpg

another showing rocks help keep it wedged in place

photo P1100947_zpsb61529d0.jpg

Another favorite Euph decaryi, such cool leaf edges.

photo P1100664_zps969c19b2.jpg

Neither have flowered for me yet, but I enjoy growing them anyway, cool leaf patterns get me every time.

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Sun, May 25, 14 at 18:01

Euphorbias...they don't like me. 4th one kicked bucket in last 6mo:

*E. flanaganii cristata variegata
*E. lactea cristata Alabaster swirl
*E. lactea variegata Bones
*E. milii, with variegated leaves (small plant)
What am I doing wrong?

I still have E. flanaganii cristata Green coral, E. leuconera & E. obesa, also a very tall milii that should have had heads chopped off at least year ago.

Rina

o

Wow pirate_girl I love the francoisii. I wish I had access to more, but I've never seen such a large scale one. I saw someone else's francoisii and was surprised how small the plant itself was, with leaves only a 4-5 mm in width while mine the leaves are closer to 1"

Yours is a monster compared to either.

Here is a photo of his francoisii. I'll up some more photos of his stuff.

o

cylindrifolia which is also amazing, and unfortunately not divisible ; _ ;

o

Decaryi

o

Nice one Pirate but I dont think it's a E. francosii either, if so it is one very odd variation.

o

Its tag is long gone, I thought it's Francoisii, no? That's what I've always known it to be. I took some leaf closeups but can't recall where right now, but the leaf pattern variabilility is very cool.

Nomen, any ideas what other Euph. it might be?

Is that Hoya linearis pic you posted elsewhere your plant? So curious about that!

o

another pic of mine which is causing ID confusion

photo P1100529_zpsa4241c20.jpg

more

photo P1090974_zpscc148b0f.jpg

Here's a close up of leaf pattern, quite variable, but pretty distinctive too.

photo P1100527_zpsa6a5d2d5.jpg

Isn't this E Francoisii?

o

Karen, I would agree that the ID may be in question. I am at a loss as to what it might be from your pictures but E. francoisii has a very distinctive leaf pattern as you stated, but typically the leaves are more lanceolate. These are a red leaf and a white leave variation. Certainly, more sun will turn the leaves more red but I prefer mine to be green.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here