Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsmith717

Let's see them Euphorbias!!!

Brandon Smith
9 years ago

Continued from...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg100243033393.html

Spring is at the door step, smoke em if you got em!!!

Comments (120)

• hijole
    9 years ago

Good evening ya'll your all just a bunch of plant addicts lol.. :) but then that's why were all friends right ;)
    So I was inspired by all the pics so I had to step outside to capture this shot of my Euphorbia, if I didn't know any better by now I would of thought this would of been a Hen & chicks plant as this one seems to be brooding over her chickie's .

So many interesting stories from New York city, Pennsylvania, Boston, Massachusetts and then way back down to California. Did I leave anyone's home town or State out? If so please mention your location.

Greg

• hijole
    9 years ago

Just another shot of the upper part of my Snow flake.

Greg

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

One very nice looking and very big E.Snowflakes OMG looks more like the whole blizzard

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Time for more photos. A lot of mine are in a root less state and not out side yet. Picture one. (how I wish they could take more than one)

9 years ago

Picture two.

9 years ago

Last picture for now. Notice I got a 6" heavy duty gutter mounted on the side of my front porch. Purfect for my collection in pots. The end sides are not sealed so excess water can't collect.
    Stush

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Heres a few if mine, African snowflake, trigona of some sort, euphorbia mammillaris variegata (Indian corn cob) And a grafted Lactea crests

9 years ago

KittieKAT,
    That is a nice grafted E. lactea crests. It will go well grafted on a long stem like that. Most are too small grafted and get funny looking after awhile. Watch for reversials on them and cut them off once they get big enought to root on their own. I have a nice E. lactea 'White Ghost' for a cutting. It has yellow on one side arm. If it stays, I am going to plant it off on it's own. I have been looking for a yellow 'Ghost'. Yours may be doing the same!
    Stush

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Hmmmm that's interesting i didn't think of that i just chaulked it up to scarring of some sort, it's funny you talk about the base being long cause it literally goes into that pot about 2.5 inches, it was so long and so top heavy i had to put stones on top to keep it from jumping off the window sill, LOL! Just got this beauty last night from my bf.....does he kno ME and what i like or What! Lol

• mingtea
    9 years ago

Yikes just caught up with this thread. Good catch on my "squarrosa"... It's likely a hybrid of squarossa x stellata, older plants produce both flat and angular stems.
    Here is a cylindrifolia that was quite charming some weeks ago.
    Great idea on the plant gutter, stush.

-Ming

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I love the gutter idea too! I may do that in front of my windows on the inside!

• Nattie_Natt
    9 years ago

Beautiful plants. Here's my baby. Was gifted to me 2 months ago.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Here' my other lactea crest, this one's got like3 different colors, it's a monster size and very odd color scheme on it, this is by far my biggest one i almost think it's trying to take over the stalk, this is one of the side views

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Here's a top view

• angellilly
    9 years ago

I also have a few of them (the usual ones),an Euphorbia tirucalli from a piece i salvaged from the compost bin of a nursery.
    {{gwi:526238}}
    Various E. milii (its difficult to find other colors here)
    {{gwi:526240}}
    {{gwi:526242}}
    {{gwi:526244}}
    and my seedlings E. milii:
    this one (2 year old) is gangly because it didnt have enough light during winter and i contemplated cutting it almost to the base..but i didnt have the courage!however it gave me its first flower!its a cross between a (gone now) E.milii 'lutea' and one of the thick stemmed Thai reds.Im curious about the color of the flower.
    {{gwi:526246}}
    {{gwi:526248}}
    this one ( a few months old) is perfect in every way,smooth leaves tinged with red and short internodes.I wish it keeps that form!
    {{gwi:526250}}
    and this one is an all green one that i DID chop because it was becoming etiolated.
    {{gwi:526252}}
    I also tried seeds of other Euphorbia forms with minimum success...

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Gosh those last few blooms, just gorgeous & the pix absolutely stunning. Thx for posting!

My Euph francoisii w/ caudex w/ which I play Bonsai. No wire on hand, so I used bamboos canes, chopsticks & rubber bands.

{{gwi:526254}}

Here showing its caudex, sort of rust colored.

{{gwi:526256}}

another showing rocks help keep it wedged in place

{{gwi:526258}}

Another favorite Euph decaryi, such cool leaf edges.

{{gwi:526260}}

Neither have flowered for me yet, but I enjoy growing them anyway, cool leaf patterns get me every time.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Euphorbias...they don't like me. 4th one kicked bucket in last 6mo:

*E. flanaganii cristata variegata
    *E. lactea cristata Alabaster swirl
    *E. lactea variegata Bones
    *E. milii, with variegated leaves (small plant)
    What am I doing wrong?

I still have E. flanaganii cristata Green coral, E. leuconera & E. obesa, also a very tall milii that should have had heads chopped off at least year ago.

Rina

• coldeuphorb
    9 years ago

Wow pirate_girl I love the francoisii. I wish I had access to more, but I've never seen such a large scale one. I saw someone else's francoisii and was surprised how small the plant itself was, with leaves only a 4-5 mm in width while mine the leaves are closer to 1"

Yours is a monster compared to either.

Here is a photo of his francoisii. I'll up some more photos of his stuff.

• coldeuphorb
    9 years ago

cylindrifolia which is also amazing, and unfortunately not divisible ; _ ;

• coldeuphorb
    9 years ago

Decaryi

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Nice one Pirate but I dont think it's a E. francosii either, if so it is one very odd variation.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Its tag is long gone, I thought it's Francoisii, no? That's what I've always known it to be. I took some leaf closeups but can't recall where right now, but the leaf pattern variabilility is very cool.

Nomen, any ideas what other Euph. it might be?

Is that Hoya linearis pic you posted elsewhere your plant? So curious about that!

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

another pic of mine which is causing ID confusion

{{gwi:526263}}

more

{{gwi:526265}}

Here's a close up of leaf pattern, quite variable, but pretty distinctive too.

{{gwi:526267}}

Isn't this E Francoisii?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Karen, I would agree that the ID may be in question. I am at a loss as to what it might be from your pictures but E. francoisii has a very distinctive leaf pattern as you stated, but typically the leaves are more lanceolate. These are a red leaf and a white leave variation. Certainly, more sun will turn the leaves more red but I prefer mine to be green.

• volcanonerd
    9 years ago

Hi everybody!!!!!! My ninja plants are at home guarding the front door, so I will show my rescue plants from last night. Saw the tirucalli, and had to take it. Euphonia addiction lol. Please note this is before i repotted.

• volcanonerd
    9 years ago

And one of my outright favorites of this genus: E. anoplia. Slightly the worse for wear, but, then again, they are rescues:)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

On the bright side What happened in the growing areas amoung a few euphorbias seems to be happening in your adobe.
    Would ponder if it's a non hand cross of a E Milli of some type with something else euphorbic possibe . Neat crisp pattern , not found in any of the 10 journal volumes and saw no pic on a 30,000 check list

Biker that green leaf looks really nice as is. If to sun them up would suggest shaded slghtly higher warmth for longer times( hour to three) per day shaded Just warmth not strong sun UV or they'll curl inward tighter than a snail in it's shell if exposed to to much sun UV heat. For your others that where seen in the E journal vol 10 pgs.175-186. they too are looking good

• bkempress
    9 years ago

I just got this one yesterday but im a little worried because the soil seems pretty wet..I haven't watered or repotted it any tips or recommendations is greatly appreciated

• liliyflower
    9 years ago

Hi bkempress ,
    I only have mine for a couple of months but from what I understand about Euphobias (succulents), they hate wet feet.
    I unpotted mine immediately after bringing it home and let the roots dry really well for a few days. Then I put it into a very gritty soil and water it sparingly, sometimes just spraying the roots area with the spray bottle. It's hard to know what the plant is thinking but the fact that it's showing some roots growth and is not looking wilted is a good sign to me.
    There's hardly any info on the web for this particular plant, so I just treat it with caution and respect like a succulent in the summer, cactus - in a winter.

I also think those leaves have to be trimmed as you don't want the base to take over the grafted top.

I hope someone else may add some insights into care tips.

(Unfortunately, my 3 attempts of rooting the piece didn't have any luck - they all rotted. I tried very dry soil as well as green house environment under the plastic.... Would be interested to hear how others manage to root these!)

• liliyflower
    9 years ago

Here are my twins, each one with its own character. I secured them with wires and lava rocks to prevent them from toppling over.

9 years ago

bkempress and LiliyFlower,
    They are grafted onto an understock of Euphorbia neriifolia. Unlike mine which is grafted onto it's own stock which is Euphorbia lactea. Check the conditions for growing E. nerlifolia. I believe it can take more watering. Also leave the leaves on the base. It only helps it get energy. If it forms any buds or sprouts, remove immediately. And watch out for the white sap. I never had luck with those understocks. Mine are all on it's own kind or it can grow with out being grafted.
    Stush

• liliyflower
    9 years ago

Hi Stush,
    Thanks for your insights.
    Wow, yours is a monstrous plant or what! Love it!

Cheers,
    L.

• bkempress
    9 years ago

Thank You Lily Flower and Stush

your Euphorbias look great
    yes I'm thinking that these can take a little bit more water than I would normally think to use for a succulent so far so good it seems to be happy

i have to remember to remove buds or sprouts on the E. nerlifolia

Ive been researching and it seems as if it will start to grow out of its shape and possibly detach itself from the E. nerlifolia part; but for right now im just trying to keep it happy

9 years ago

Mine is quite old and it even has root nubs along the graft. But it has never broken off yet. Some cuts I took off seems to grow just fine with out the base stock. The first 5 months are the hardest. No water and only light mistings. Kept in the shade but not darkness. Only when roots start to apear, then water lightly. I love the white Ghost type.
    Stush

• liliyflower
    9 years ago

Stush,
    What did you do to root the pieces? Mine just all died on me.
    Here's what I tried: water the plant well, then cut. Let callous for a week. Plant in a very gritty mix, mist once a while. Placed in a bright spot but not under direct sun. Didn't work, the piece just shrivelled and died.

Read some on euphorbias, so did the same thing with the prep and then put some plastic over the small pot it was planted in. Also this time planted it in a moist instead of dry soil.
    After a week or two - same sad result, the piece have shrivelled and rotted.

So... what did you do to root those?

THANKS A MILLION!

L.

• kuroc
    9 years ago

I have a crested Euphorbia spiralis that is growing a normal stem. When it gets big enough I will remove it and grow it on it's own.

• bkempress
    9 years ago

Ummmmmmmm I know that the inside of the Euphorbias can cause skin irritation if its cut but can it cause skin irritation just by touching it????

Methinks I might be allergic to mine ...I bought it last Wednesday and I noticed rashes on my arms they subsided but when I went to check on the Lactea yesterday my arm was covered again in new rashes

And I reallllyyyy want a desert rose........

• liliyflower
    9 years ago

@bkempress that's too bad if that's true. The only way to know is to make a test that is avoid the plant for a week and then make a deliberate contact with it, and see what happens.
    Having said that, there's really no need to touch this one. Another day, I tried to bend one of the curvy sides to see if they are firm, because it's really hard to know if the plant is liking the environment or not.... I ended up with a needle in my fingertip! So from now, I wouldn't be touching it with just bare hands.

9 years ago

Lilly,
    Make sure the piece is large enough to stay alive untill it makes its' own roots. I cut off a peice about 3" to 4" round and turn it upside down for about a week in the shade. That way the sap stays mostly in and it scapes over. After looking like it is trying to heal, I place it on (not in) pure perlite. Or stones or gravel. Maybe a stone or stick to hold up right in place. Keep misted but don't wet the whole area. Once I see nubs or bumps forming in the cut area, then I leave alone and water very lightly. It may take several months. Once rooted, they grow fast.
    Also any reverison on the plant should be taken off once they are large enough to start their own roots.
    Stush

• bkempress
    9 years ago

Thanks Stush I appreciate it :)

• bkempress
    9 years ago

yikes on the needling....

• liliyflower
    9 years ago

THANKS A MILLION, Stush! I'll give it another shot.

Happy Growing! :) :)
    L.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

E. Labtii cyathia close up

• kuroc
    9 years ago

Hey stush would that advice work with my plant too?
    Also I just discovered another normal stem on my crested Euphorbia spiralis. :)

• jpaz
    9 years ago

Although I have specialized in Brazilian cacti for many years, I have always greatly admired "bonsai" Euphorbias. Here are three juvenile plants ..........

{{gwi:526272}}

E. balsamifera ssp. adenensis

E. californica

E. hedyotoides

Here is a slightly older E. balsamifera ssp.balsamifera , that was grown hydroponically - drain to waste - in pure pumice:
    {{gwi:526274}}

This post was edited by jpaz on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 0:02

• jpaz
    9 years ago

Deleted by jpaz

This post was edited by jpaz on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 0:00

• jpaz
    9 years ago

Deleted by jpaz

This post was edited by jpaz on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 23:50

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

A little late to the party, but here are a couple of my Thai Giants happily blooming away under lights:

{{gwi:526277}}

The variety on the right ("Paradise Lady") has the largest flowers of any Thai hybrid I've seen (2 1/4 inches in diameter).
    This post is my sneaky way of soliciting info on good domestic mail order sources for these plants (other than Logee's).

• ninecrow
    9 years ago

No Poinsettias?
    They Are Euphorbias After All.... LOL

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Here you go, ninecrow. Just for you.

{{gwi:69360}}

tj

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews