Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Madagascar Palm (pachypodium lamerei)

Posted by morganx Central Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 05 at 17:48

I have a Madagascar Palm that's about three years old and thirteen inches tall. It currently has about thirty leaves and lives on my patio, where it gets a lot of sun from 3:00 until sunset. It doesn't seem particularly unhappy, but I don't feel like it's making very good progress towards growing into the 6' monolith I'd like it to be either.

Right now it lives in a 10" terra cotta pot in Miracle-Gro soil for potted plants, gets fed leftover orchid food (dilute 30-10-10) every few months, and is watered daily since it's very hot outside. What would you advise changing to make it grow faster, and in an ideal world, at what rate would it be growing?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Madagascar Palm (pachypodium lamerei)

It should get MORE sun than that. Mine stays in sun all day long, and is growing well. They really like more than the five or six hours your's is getting. You might want to pot it down to a six inch pot also, as a ten inch pot seems excessive for that size Madagascar. Your watering practices seem fine as they do like a lot of water..
Bill in SC

o

I just repotted it into the 10" about a month ago as it was potbound in the 6", so it has some catching up to do, but I think it liked the fresh dirt. Since I live in an apartment I'm a bit limited in what I can do for light, but I will put it in the brightest spot. Thank you. How tall is yours and how old?

o

• Posted by Bob_B Sunset 14, Ca. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 17, 05 at 19:57

morganx,
I have a P. lamerii that is also three years old. It's about 18" tall, is nicely tufted at the top, and has three offsets at the base. It's outdoors in full sun. Temp here in summer is 90's or more. I water if frequently, every other day, and fertilize it. It loves sun and heat, cannot get too much. I wintered it in my garage, little light, down into the 40's, maybe high 30's. It was there for five or six months, so it has to do all its growing in a short outdoor season. I tried the same routine with my Adenium and killed it!

Bob

o

Mine was 4 inches tall when I bought it from Wal-Mart last fall for $2.72. It is now nine inches tall, and in a six inch pot. Some plants grow better when pot bound. I do not know whether Madascars do or not, but someone will buzz in and tell. I gave mine water all last winter, and though it did not grow much during that time, it kept all it's leaves. It is, however, perfectly alright to withhold it's water during winter in which it will be dormant and shed all it's leaves just as a Crown of Thorns will. See link below..
Bill in SC
BTW Madasgascar palms are not actually palms, but related to Plumerias

Here is a link that might be useful: Madagascar palm

o

It grew eight inches this summer thanks to you guys' prodding me to put it in the sort of sunlight that fries most plants. Thanks.

o

We are warm here in the winters in So. calif. yet we keep ours in a protected greenhouse, that never goes below 45-50F they do drop their leaves, I know, I'm the one that cleans them up. We (Huntington Botanical Gardens) do stop watering, and don't start again until April 1. If you are growing your plant in the house, the temperature will be like our collection house. We have had light frost, which burned off the tops of the Kalanchoe that were growing outside, and several other plants. So be careful, especially with the watering. Norma

o

My Palm is about 50 inches and happy in the Dutch sunshine in the summer! I just took the Palm inside but it losses all his leaves!? Is this normal?

o

Quite normal Bas.. It'll leaf back up at the onset of spring warmth and more light..
Bill in SC

o

I don't water any of my Pachys starting about now until about late April to early May. I have six in the ground and about two dozen in pots. Here in San Diego, they overwinter outside fine. Most of mine lose all their leaves by mid-Winter.

-Ron-

o

It sure is normal, San Diego is blessed with great weather, we have the Santa Anna wind, we have dry humidity, and we get frost. So we take care of ours differently.We are semi-arid here, and yet we can grow tropical plants as well, if we want a big water bill. We bring in the young plants, that 10" pot should make it grow faster, if it has room for the roots to spread. If grown inside and they have leaves, water and fertilize regularly, it may not drop the leaves where you live.
Our rules are, it growing treat it like a growing plant, it it drops it leave, it has gone dormant. Start to water and fertilize as soon as you see new leaves coming, or new offsets, (usuallyi in the Spring) do not starve the plant while actively growing, treat it as if it was your child. I can't tell you how to grow you plant, you will need to take information that you read here on this forum and adopt it to your growing conditions. The others gave you good pointers and tips. Norma

o

My Madagascar is very tall (probably 8 ft. or better) and is branched at about 2 feet from the soil line. Every year it gets leaves only on one of the branches. Any ideas why this would happen? It is indoors in quite good light and supplemented by fluorescents. It has never grown offsets. Does it need more water? I water it once a week very thoroughly all summer and much less in the winter. It usually loses about half its leaves in the winter on the side that has leafves and usually in the spring will grow a few puny leaves that turn black on the branch that has no leaves. It's in a 14" pot.

o

Dear Angeline,

It would indicate to me that that limb is dead.

As others have stated. P. lamerei and it 10-12 kin (P. horombense, P. namaquanum, P. rosulatum, P. succulentum, P. adnauseum), if grown like tropical plants, should grow well. In many cases, they go into dormancy in the winter - maybe if they're in a heated greenhouse, they'll slow down or stop growth. In either case, winter is their slow/stop time. Come spring and the necessary warmth, they want to grow.

If that limb you speak of has been nearly bare for a year, I'd think it's no longer alive or on its way out. That said, I'd wait on removing it in the spring, but give it a chance to grow regular leaves first. Your Pachy being that tall, I'd probably repot it in the spring, too. It wants heat and light, a porous soil and lots of water in its growth period. It also benefits, as do all succulent plants, from good air flow.

I don't know what area Alberta you live in, but if it doesn't get below 12C or so at night in the late spring/summer, and (this is a BIG if) if you're able to, I'd reckon that your plant would love to be outside then.

Whatever trimming you do, though, be careful about the sap - this plant is a member of the Oleander Family (Apocynaceae, along with Adeniums and Plumerias), and all parts of it are poisonous.

o

Everybody seems to love their pachypodiums, which is wonderful, but everybody seems a bit mystified - even intimidated by them. These plants are rugged and vulnerable at the same! I've had mine for three years. It's 18" tall in a 12" terra cotta pot. Every summer here in NYC it shoots up, growing about 6" in full sun. When purchased it was probably 4" tall. I've been repotting every year. I love how it fills out with leaves on top, making the plant look so exotic! Now, my dilemna/question: I've seen them in maybe 16-18" pots at the "Flower District" here in NYC 4 or 5' tall, full of leaves-showcase specimens. How do you keep the plant in a relatively small pot without the leaves falling off or growing in a twisted way? My plant only grows nicely-without leaf drop when there is plenty of root room. Can you ROOT-PRUNE these babies and plunk it back in the same pot? My plant is definitely very root bound right now-they're sticking out the bottom of the pot. OR-do I just leave it alone? Need expert advice...

o

Dear Karen,

With all due respect, there's no mystification or intimidation here. I don't mean to imply that I know all there is to know about Pachys (that is certainly not true) but they're easy to grow here - that's also where I got my growing experience.

Yes, you can root-prune these plants. I remember seeing an article where a pruned root was used as a cutting and a new plant was generated from the root cutting.

I would imagine that those showcase specimens you speak of are given the most luxuriant gorwing conditions in terms of light and heat.

Just ensure that you wear gloves and avoid contact with the sap. As members of the Oleander Family, Pachys are poisonous, thought I don't know to what degree of toxicity P. lamerei has.

If you've got it, you might wish to dab the cut roots with sulphur powder or a rooting hormone. Then repot it with fresh soil, back into the same pot or another one.

Alternatively, you could leave it alone - they're quite familiar with neglect.

I'm no expert, but I endorse this message.

o

• Posted by nbutler5 9 Indian Rocks, FL (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 12:42

10+ years ago I bought a 4" 99 cent Madagascar Palm from hd, it is now over 7 feet tall & has 3 offshoots with healthy leaves on all 3 new branches. It spent 4 years in a 8 inch pot, then the last 6 in a 14 inch pot. It gets lots of filtered Sun but could stand more. I don't water as often as others in this forum letting it dry out like a cactus then flooding the plant, feeding it regular plant food every couple months. My advice is simple: when you transplant pick a heavy pot with a large bottom (like an Azalea pot) so the plant won't tip over, mine is so top heavy I've had to load it up with river rocks & even placed sandbags around the pot when high winds come in. A few years ago I had to move it inside (hurricanes) & it did NOT like it, after I put it back outside it dropped all it's leaves (in the middle of summer) & stayed dormant for a long time (I think it was the A/C). . .10+ months later it shot out the 3 new branches with healthy leaves. I think more Sun is what your plant needs. What I need is some ideas on how you transplant a huge top heavy poisonous plant that's covered with 2 inch needles.

o

• Posted by rjj1 Norman OK Zone7 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 13:51

I used to grow a bunch of lamerei. Guess over time I got bored with them. IMHO just tall spiny sticks without a lot of character.

The sap should never be ingested. About five years ago my daughter was running around with a piece of honeycomb that was dripping all over the place. I spotted a drop on a lamerei leaf and swiped it up with a finger and touched it to my lips. Immediately I knew that was a bad mistake.

Evidently someone had bumped the plant and caused the leaf to bleed and silly me thought it was honey. I washed my mouth out with soap about five times and drank a half a quart of milk. For the next 3 hours I was in another world. I couldn't put a sentence together or hold any thought. My wife tells me that has never really changed :-).

I would roll used carpet around the bottom foot or two of the plant before repotting. Might even rig up a system like they use to pull engines with a pulley overhead to hold the plant up while pots are being switched.

randy

o

"I'm no expert, but I endorse this message."
LOL, Mr Harris, you're too funny!

Randy, that is a scary story. as i now have my first p.l. i appreciate knowing just how poisonous it can be.

o

Dear Jo,

Well, I am most decidely not an expert.

Here's what I do know, however:

Treat Pachys as the tropical plants most of them are. Give them heat, light, water when they want it, adequate (but not too much) growing room, and they'll grow well for you.

Randy,

I've had a minor rash develop from exposure to Pachy sap before, but nothing like what you describe. Thanks for the info.

It's odd that Pachys, related to the Plumerias and Oleanders (all poisonous), are also related to the Asclepiads (not poisonous, to my knowledge).

o

• Posted by rjj1 Norman OK Zone7 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 17:47

My passion is for Adenium which is a very close relative of your dear pachy. Friends used to make fun of me for what I did every fall after our first hard freeze.

Our property is rural and the greenhouse sits on one end next to R.R. right of way. The right of way is never mowed unless I do it:-). The rats line up in anticipation of a nice warm winter home in the greenhouse in the fall.

I take Adeniums and sit them along the wall of the greenhouse where varmints like to run offering them free nesting material that's easy easy to reach. It keeps them from getting up on the benches and mauling my hibiscus:-).

It never fails every winter a few plants get there branches gnawed off and are not to be found until a dead rodent raises a stink. Always laying peacefully on their deadly nest material:-).

There is great honor for our nibbled on comrade afterwards. He gets a clean trim with a razor sharp object. Most of my rodent pruned plants end up nicer than they would have been if left to the safety of life on the benches:-)

Here's one recovering from surgery after giving itself for the good of the many. It's now budding back in multiple spots and will make a fine specimen someday.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
randy

o

I was transplanting my plant the other day (about 6 inches tall) and my girlfriend's cat went and ate all the leaves it had just recently sprouted. I had heard the plant was poisonous and (being not much of a cat person) hoped the bugger would get a hard lesson learned. Strangely enough the only odd thing I noticed is that he became more docile and better behaved. Might have to make it a staple in his diet.

o

Hi Friends!
As my country locates in tropical zone, so I can grow the Madagascar Palm outside without any problem, but our 6 month rainfall sometime make root-rotting for a few un-drained pot.

I should say that, this species need a lot of water in growing season.
This is my 8 years Madagascar Palm, 8 feet tall and not yet flower.

o

Hi Stephania, you have a fantastic garden and I have to ask, what are the long thin "hairy" looking plants that are to the left of your pachy?

o

Julie,

If I may take a guess, that's a plant that Stephania may have seen in habitat - Didieria madagascarensis or (less likely) D. trollii. They're related to the Alluaudias, also endemic to Madagascar.

o

Thanks Julie, And Jeffrey, certainly you're right. When I visited Madagascar first time in 2000, I've seen this species, Didieria madagascariensis, in its habitat at the west coast of the island.
But my second trip to Madagascar in 2004, the more impressive would be the Spine Forest in the southern part where you can find a giant Alluaudia spp and Didieria trollii growing upright to the sky.

The most exciting was when we had a night zafari in the spine forest of Berenty Private Reserve near Fort Daufin town, I observed some cute species of Mouse Lemur (a primitive primate that only endemic to the island) climbing and jumping around the Alluaudia's branches!!

While we passed from Isalo National Park, the habitat of Pachypodium rosulatum var. gracillius, to observe the Giant Baobab Za at Ampanihy town in the southern part, I found many many of Pachypodium lameri standing beside the red dirt road.

I'ld like to show a pic of an unknown Pachypodium that I found in the Grand Tsingy de Bemaraha, West Madagascar. Infact, this should be a Pachypodium ambongense which was reported to be a native species at this national park, but I talked with Chuck Handson of Arid Land while he visited Bangkok, Thailand last year, he had an opinion that this should be an undescribed species.

It's a nice specimen of an unknown Pachypodium and me!!

o

Stephania, what a gorgeous garden! I just have to share a pic of my little (6ft) pachy as mine too has never flowered, but may soon! It has 3 branches with lots of healthy leaves & even a baby shooting off from ground level. I also have 4 baby pachys next to the bigger one.

o

Thank you Nbutler5, Yours look so tropical! than desert, as banana, palm, staghorn LOL...

o

Here in Central Florida I have been growing my plant for about ten years. It is currently about seven feet tall with a trunk that is about nine inches in diameter. It bloomed when it was four feet and then branched. It currently has five branches and each time it blooms it branches again. I have five growths that are currently flowering and the flower stalks continue to elongate and bloom for about two months. Believe it or not but this plant is growing in a twelve in clay pot of Florida sand. I use an osmocote type fertilizer and do supplemental watering if we go for a week without rain during the growing season. It has gone through thirty degrees during the winter with minimal leas loss. For those who are not familiar with the flowers, they are about three inch, semi tubular, white that are produced in clusters and very closely resemble Plumeria.

o

leisurely,
How much Sun does your pachy get? I thought the size of my container may be the problem with mine not blooming, but if yours is in a 12 inch pot & blooms, it has to be something else. I water once a week unless there's been rain. I use a balanced 10-10-10 liquid fertilizer about once a month. I have noticed something a little strange, this past winter mine didn't drop any leaves & is just now starting to show signs of growing new ones, in years past it dropped almost all the leaves & started new growth in the spring. Any chance you could post a picture of your pachy in bloom?

o

My Madagascar palm, gotten from HD 5+ years ago when it was in a 4 inch starter pot with just barely peeking out the soil has grown well but it sits in a corner on a shaded porch and is not given too much attention. I'm in zone 7 in Virginia, do you think full sun would be too much for it?

Susan

o

Susan, I wouldn't put it in full Sun all at once but more Sun than a shaded porch would probably do it wonders. I've read that they like lots of Sun, but be aware they like lots of water too. (when getting lots of Sun)

o

I recently purchased two baby Madagascar Palms. Never having repotting experience with these, I was terrified when I was repotting (already being difficult with the thorns), when about 75% of the root system completely tore away from the plant. I fear I have killed these as they now look black at their base and feel somewhat spongy. If I have killed them, I would like to buy two more and try again, but not until I get some up potting tips.

o

Can someone help me save my Madagascar? I recently recevied this very old Pachypodium Lamerei as a gift when a friend died. It's six feet tall, in a 15-inch pot. The poor thing has several deep fissures in its trunk, close to the dirt. These are about two to three inches long, orange, and oozing. His leaves are developing really ugly spots and are falling off. The spots are dark in the center and radiate out. Does anyone know what's wrong with him?

o

OK isn't there anyone out there who can help borialice & newgrower007?
I have another pachy problem I need help with: Two of the four baby pachys I have developed what looks like black mold at the top of the plant & now have no leaves at all. I've dug around this forum & others & tried a few things: 1)very dilute clorine bleach lightly sprayed on the black area, no affect. 2) Pour a few drops of hydrogen peroxide on the black area, it foams like it's doing something, the black area has receeded in one plant but the other, no affect. In the Orchid forum many posters state cinnamon works very well as a fungicide & general problem fixer, does anyone know if I should try cinnamon on the infected area? Any help is appreciated.
~irbnate

o

Does any one know why my Madagascar Palm has some of the new leaves going brown and dying?
Is there a fungus or something that harms them? I am watering it every two weeks.
Thanks for any advise.

o

• Posted by sino Z6, OH (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 5, 06 at 19:54

Maybe need more water, treat Pachy as tropical plant in summer.

o

i have an 18 inch pachy and a 4 ft pachy. the taller has never had any offsets during the 9 years we have had it. the smaller has 3 in six months. the offsets all came at the base, and two seem to have grown apart and there is now 1/2 inch of soil between the base and these offsets. is there away to safely transplant these two offsets into new pots?

o

Ok...I have one very nice P. lamerei already...goes dormant in the winter (loses its leaves) and then goes nuts when I put it outdoors in the spring...seems happy.

I just picked up a tiny one at Walmart...was shriveled like a raisin...have it soaking for a bit, now. The leaves are still green, though and I see green on the "trunk".

My question is, are their different varieties? My larger one has fairly broad leaves and this new one's leaves are extremely skinny...

o

I bought a Madagascar Palm which is about a foot tall with large leaves from top to bottom, and over winter it was dormant but now that spring is here all the new leaves appearing turned black at the tips. This happened on the two side branches also.

I figured it is a soil fungus problem so I put the pot on its side and used a hose to wash all the soil off the roots. I was very careful to wrap the leaves first and support the plant as it's roots were freed from the soil. Then I used the hose to wash every trace of soil from the roots and plant and placed the plant in a clean bucket with water covering its roots, while I took the pot and sterilized it by filling it with hot water for 20 minutes. I also removed all the troubled leaves.

Then I mixed some coir peat with a new bag of potting mix and used that to repot the palm. And I put a shade over the plant to keep the direct sun off it for a few days.

It's been five days since I washed the roots and changed the soil and the plant is looking fine. Some of the new leaves which were already coming out did turn slightly brown at their tips a couple of days after I repotted but I think they had already been infected by the previous soil. Anyway I removed them too and all seems fine now. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out after a few weeks.

The pot I planted it in originally had been used for another Madagascar Palm and that too had a similar leaf problem which came and went. I didn't think it was a disease at the time and so I didn't sterilize the pot afterwards. That palm was sitting in a wet tray all the time and became rotten around the bottom of the trunk. It was a five foot plant and I cut it into sections about ten inches long and dried them for a few days.

Then I searched the web for information and I found a site that said only the leafy tip section will grow. So I dusted the bottom of that with rooting powder and placed it in a pot. The rest of the pieces I thought were useless so I threw them out. Later I found another website showing that all the sections of the trunk will grow, so I was terribly disappointed in myself for throwing out the other sections. Anyway the leafy tip section did grow after about eight weeks of being dormant. I had removed every leaf also. Now that it's growing it shows no signs of the black tips on the new leaves, so I guess when I cut the section off, after the original trunk rotted, and planted it in a new pot, I removed it from the old diseased soil and it was able to grow healthy at last.

o

Ok. so it's been 11 days since I posted last and the palm has grown four or five very healthy leaves with no sign of the black disease or whatever it was. At first it did put out a couple of leaves with the disease but I think they had been already starting to grow when the plant was in the old soil and so they were already infected. I removed them of course and since then all the leaves look very nice and healthy.

So in conclusion I have found that washing all the soil away from the roots and replacing it with new soil, after sterilizing the pot with hot water, effectively cured the plant of the black wilting disease that was infecting all the new leaves. The exact method I used is in the post above this one.

So I am very pleased and now I can enjoy my wonderful Madagascar Palm without worrying about that terrible disease or whatever it was?

o

Uh oh, the disease is back :-(

Looks like I spoke too soon.

Well I'm outa ideas

o

i have had a palm since i was 7 and i am now 23 but this spring was a wet one and for some reason my pot wasn't draining well so i brough it inside and thought it would be ok the roots didn't rot i dont think but the top foot got soft and that 1 foot piece fell off i made clean cuts on the still potted trunk and the top piece. i need to know the best way to save both piece and regrow roots on the top piece so i can repot it please help me email me your thoughts at corna.11@osu.edu very respectfully beau corna

o

well my Madagascar palm is slowly recovering since I gave it a dose of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate). I had once again removed it from its pot and washed all the soil off the roots, and placed it in another pot with fresh potting mix. I gave it water when I first potted it but then I let it go bone dry before watering it. There was no response till I let it go dry the second time and then watered it with 5 liters of water which had 50grams of Epsom salts dissolved in it. A few days later the crown of the plant looks a healthy light green color and it seems to be growing again!

So as I posted above 'the plant had been getting a type of black rot or wilt on all of its new leaves, and re-potting it in fresh potting mix, after washing all the soil off the roots, and sterilizing the pot, had no effect and the plant continued to die, until the whole top of the plant was black and leafless.

But a few weeks later after re-potting it once again and letting it dry out completely between waterings, and also giving it a dose of magnesium (epsom salts) it is starting to revive.
====================

Also the other Madagascar palm I have which developed stem rot at the base is growing very well. I had cut the top 12" off and let it dry for a few days before dipping it in rooting mixture and re-potting it. It took a while but it grew new leaves and now is a beautiful specimen.

So Madagascar palms do grow from cuttings.

o

HELP! My palm is about 5ft tall, is outside. This winter had about 7 nights 20f, plant was wrapped in burlap. The leaves had not all came off at this point, now the center is brown and the leaves are shrivled an still on plant. Is this toast or is there anything I can do?????????// Thanks Howard

o

Had my Madagascar palm for about 5 years now. It grows quite well for being in Michigan. A few years ago though, I had trouble keeping any new leaves. The tips would brown and fall off. This fall, I had a bumper crop of leaves. Afew have thrived and have moved down the trunk as it grows, but the majority of them turned brown and fell off. What do i do?

o

I purchased my Madagascar Palm about a year ago from LOWES, for $25. It was about a foot tall already and had a nice set of leaves on the top. I had seen a 3 ft plant the the HD for $50, so I thought this was a great deal.

We got hit with a bad frost in phoenix this year, and I was out o f town the weekend it had hit. I didn't think I lost my plant, but after further inspection, the top inch or so has all black, and all the leaves were dropped.

I was quite pissed, but brought it in the house in hopes it would recover. nothing seemed to help. Once it became nice again in late February, I returned the plant to the outdoors and continued to watch it. I had heard that in Phoenix, you can begin to fertilize as early as March 10th. I still had seen no signs of life in this plant, with watering and no watering.

I was prepared to replace it, since it is considered under warranty, but Lowes hasn't carried them for awhile. Then just the other day I finnaly say a new arm being formed and 1 green leaf, the two, four, eight, etc.

I am so glad I didn't throw it away. I now have approx. three new arms/branches and all is well.

I have it planted in a large 14" plastic pot, with a cactus mix soil, and water it very little (one good watering a monh or so). I will post photos if I can figure that out.

o

Slyfish, is it indoors or out? They go dormant in the winter and will drop their leaves...

Sometimes if kept solely indoors, they will retain them since there are no temp fluxuations....

I put mine out for the summer and bring it in for the winter so it always drops its leaves. They are coming back out now.

o

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA where winters get as cold as -35 degrees. I bought my Madagascar Palm 27 years ago when my first son was born. It was 6" tall. Now it is close to 9 feet. It has never flowered and hasn't branched out. I am moving to Victoria, British Columbia, 800 miles away (the mildest climate in Canada). I would love to take it with me for sentimental reasons. Any suggestions on how to move it?

o

since i last posted, i unpotted my pachy. I reworked the soil and repotted it a little higher. some of the lower leavbes truned yellow and fell off and the weather changed and i couldnt get the soil to dry out. finally it was beautiful out and i could keep it outside. a grip of new leaves have now shot from the top. its just being tempermental.... I think all is well.

o

Judith, I don't know where these are sold, but 'plant sleeves' are made exclusivly for relocating purposes. Sleeves fit according to pot size. So, if the diameter of your pot is 10" you'll need 10" bags. For a plant that size I'd recommend using two.
All you do is slip plant via top of sleeve, lowering plant inside..
You can also buy another 1 or 2 bags and slip over the top of plant, than staple together.
When I worked for a nursery called Rentokil, we'd use these sleaves...whoever invented them really came up w/a terrific idea.
You might be able to find them at a plant supply house, or type in plant sleaves via your search engine.

Michael, though plastic pots work, clay for cactus is so much better..Of course, if you have to lug in and out this would be some job..
Is cactus/succulent soil good enough for your MP? Speaking for the C&S soil sold here, it needs an extra boost. Adding a little Perlite helps w/drainage. Toni

o

Hi. Nice to see other's success stories here with P. Lamerei! I've had mine for approx. 23 years, in Michigan, one of the lowest light and coldest states in US. I left my 2-3" Pachy in Michigan with my mother when I moved to Florida. 4 years later, it was the only plant that had survived her care! (She was a wonderful woman, but not exactly a green thumb!) Two years ago, the plant had reached a height of about 6', and since it was taller than any window we had, and starting to bend as a result, I took a chance and whacked it in half. I was sure it would die - imagine cutting a cactus in half! But, much to my surprise and relief, a couple months after the cut, it started to grow again.

It has always been a single-stemmed specimen, much to my chagrin, and the new growth did not deviate from this characteristic.

Today, while Spring planting and moving my tropicals around outside, I decided to cut it again, down to about 2'. It is just a little thorny stump sitting in a shady corner until it has some time to recover from the shock.

I was glad to discover that Pachys are poisonous - wish I had known that this morning before I cut the plant and left the cutting on the lawn with my dog around! I think she kept her distance from it - I know I found the sap smell repugnant, so I'm guessing she did too!

Oh, for those who were wondering - P. Lamerei can take as much sun as you can give it - at least in Michigan! We DO get strong sun; in the Summer.....

o

hi! I have a palms and I keep it indoors all the time next to a sunny window, but I keep the A/C on 24/7. Is this killing my plant becasue the soil turns gray and the leave are turning black at the egdes. What should I do?

o

Easy - keep it outdoors for the summer, if you are unable to do that, then be realistic and don't expect this plant to be healthy long-term without additional help. They are not houseplants. They grow outside in a semi-desert environment. That cannot be duplicated indoors.

o

O, O, O where can i get one of these babies ???? my first time seeing this and i'm desperately in love !! :)) lol. I'd be willing to trade double postage or anything one of you ask , i'll stand on my head and beg if i must. lmao *eyes close, fingers crossed* *puppy dog eyes* or let me see what i have to trade...

spider plants- plain green-variegated white and green- and i have the purple and green, oh and i have another plain green. i'd be willing to trade a small flat rate box full of mixed spiders plus i can throw in a bonus. plmk if you can help me and my plant addiction please email me pssedg@peoplepc.com

miss daisy

o

I have kept hundreds of species of plants in containers-or more.Seen thousands in containers. P.lamerei is in the top three of best all time. In leaf and flower and form- it has it all.Ease of culture.
Here i would say hard to find. P.gaeyi for some reason is everywhere. I had to get my lamemeri at The Dry Garden here in the bay area. I hear in Sou Cal it is common.I don't get it. P.gaeyi if you settle,is a fine plant but not the beauty in leaf as lamerei. And gaeyi does not flower until very large ..then when it does,the flowers are not attractive. And that top three rating is of a plant that is not Bonsai or caudiciform. Great plant. Ya know a very large one could be no.1.....

o

Hello,

First time here and hoping someone can help me with my Pachy. I live in the Palm Springs area and have two Pachy plants. One is in the front yard with morning sun, the other in the back with afternoon sun. The one in the back is nearly 8 ft tall and with hit the roof overhang with about a foot more of growth. It needs to be moved to another location. So my questions are:

1. How extensive are the roots?
2. When is the best time to transplant it?
3. Tips on how best to transplant and avoid getting spiked with the torns. I was thinking wrapping it in bubble wrap or blankets? It looks like a daunting task. Ideas.
4. Does a plant this mature do well after transplanting or should I just cut it down midway and hope it grows up again?

Thanks for your help.

o

Pachys store so much water in the stems that even if all the roots are removed, there is plenty water to sustain the plant as it recovers and grows new roots. When you decide to dig the plant out, get as big a rootball as you are able to lift and transport but don't be too concerned about getting all the roots. These are tough plants and can put up with a fair amount of abuse.

In terms of timing, this should be done right before new leaf growth starts in the spring. The leaves will grow well at first, relying on the moisture stored in the stem. As they photosynthesize, the food will go towards new root production.

The biggest risk might be rot that can enter through the cut root ends, so you will have to do something to protect the new site from rain for many weeks, maybe a waterproof blanket or something similar.

Bubble wrap will work, as will layers of newspaper, their thorns are not as dangerous as some cacti but if you wear thick gloves it should not be a problem.

Prepare the new site in advance, including some support stakes until the roots re-establish.

Good luck!

o

I have a Madagascar Palm that is about 3 feet tall, in a pot (I live in central Texas). I have had it about 3 years and normally keep it outside and bring it in when it freezes.

I forgot to bring it in before our first freeze, which was in early January. All the leaves froze and I brought it in immediately. It's been a month and a half now and all the leaves fell off and the thorns are easily picked off the stem at the very top. It is also very 'squishy'. The stem looks a bit grayish at the top of the stem. As it gets towards the bottom of the stem, it's still a pale green color.

Do you think I have lost it? Can anyone help me?

o

My Madagascar Palm is about 8-9 feet tall last year flower a lot but now is full of silver spot then the bark die even loose the thorns I used coper but I really dont know, what it is and how I can controll this

o

Uh-oh, a couple of other unanswered Pachy problem questions......doesn't give me much hope that mine will be answered....

My ~ 20 year old Pachy, which I cut back to ~ 2 feet tall last Spring, sprouted out 9 new growth points after about a month and a half of recovery. It was doing pretty well wintering in my living room with eastern exposure. About a week ago it lost all its leaves. It normally loses most of its leaves indoors during the Winter, so I didn't think much of it. Then last night I noticed that half of the new sprouts were brown. Upon further inspection, I noticed they were indeed dead, and fell off with only gentle pressure, and revealed rather rotten looking areas beneath them.

Is it dying? Is over-watering the likely culprit?

o

are you able to post a photo? rotting growth tips is usually a sign of cold damage, did it experience cold temps before you brought it into the living room?

It could be overwatering, but that typically manifests itself at the base of the stem as well. It might be wise to take the plant out of the pot and inspect the roots.

o

I was thinking of removing it from the pot, but I lack a good place to do so this time of year.....

Today I also noticed some webs and what appeared to be spider mites on the plant, so I thoroughly sprayed the stem with chrysanthemum pyrethrins.

I think I got it inside before it was exposed to extreme cold, anything lower than ~ 45 degrees. And that was months ago, so I think cold damage would have manifested itself sooner, no?

o

If mites are suspected, you must confirm it. If you do see mites, I would defoliate the plant completely to get rid of them. Also carefully inspect your other plants.

o

Thanks for your response.

I got off my duff and removed it from its pot and, lo and behold, there were/are some rotting roots. I cut it back almost a year ago, and there was a lot of response from the upper plant, but it appears that little root growth has occurred. And some of the older roots have rotted at the ends.

I set it sideways on top of its pot to allow it to dry out a bit. Seeing as most of the existing roots are old and woody (where they're not rotten), it should be able to survive this way until it has dried.

o

oh, and when I went back to look at it, after I sprayed it liberally and removed it from the pot, the rim of the pot only was crawling with little white critters - spider mites.

o

I have had nothing but luck from these tropical succulents.
easy to propagate from cuttings.
only fertilizer mine get is splenda that I also use on orchids, that is a rarity though.
I find the bigger the pot or growing area the better off they are.

Has anyone ever tried to grow these from seeds?

o

All of my Madagascar Palms have always had nice wide leaves like some of the plants pictured here. I have not been able to find any plants for a while around here and they just recently started to reappear in nurseries etc but I noticed the new ones I am seeing now have real thin wirey leaves. Is this a different variety of Madagascar Palm? Why can't I find the ones I used to get with the nice thick bright green leaves anymore?

o

If they have a pink or purple midrib in the leaves, then they are P. geayi. If the midrib is essentially the same color as the rest of the leaf (although probably paler) then it is P. lamerei.

o

Apparently my new ones are P. geayi and my old big one is a P. lamerei. I have not seen the P. lamerei breed for sale anyplace anymore. I refer the P. lamerei for its wide deep green leaves.

o

Pachypodium lamerei ranks as one of my favorites. My big one is 5 ft. I have had it for over 30 years starting out at around 3 in.It spends it's summers outside and it's winters in my best window.
They can take full sun but will probably loose the leaves grown indoors. I have seen them growing happily planted in the ground in Palm Springs CA, Lake Worth FL and Wilton Manors FL.
The black "rot" around the growing tip is common but I don't know the cause. It is easily controlled with sanitation. At times as the new leaves begin to emerge they die and turn black, entirely or partially. When this starts I take a toothpick and tease out the dead leaves otherwise the buildup of wet dead leaves will rot and kill the growing tip. As the weather warms the plant will outgrow the condition.If the growing tip does die the plant will simply send out multiple branches below the dead tip. My big one did this over 20 years ago, is still ealthy and has added more than 3 ft to it's 5 growing tips. Just be patient as this can take months.

o

I've seen p. lamerei in greenhouses in the Baltimore area.

What's the verdict on repotting? Do they do better pot bound or with room to expand.

o

They seem to act like traditional pachycaul trees. More root run means faster, taller growth, ultimately flowering much sooner. Tight, root bound conditions yield squatter, more compact plants. With P. lamerei, free root run combined with lots and lots of sun would seem to be ideal. Since pruning isn't really advisable, you always need to be careful not to let the plant become etiolated, or grow too lushly. Either of these conditions spoil the appearance and create weak parts of the plant that are more susceptible to cold, rot, and disease.

o

For years only geayi were the only ones to be found in the bay area.I have no explanation. I never saw a lamerii until threes years ago and only two years ago did I see them in sizes bigger than dish garden.The big ones were in 3-5 gallon pots. Meanwhile the geayi I had followed the same pattern,grew fast,thick trunked, and would then give in to a heavy bay area rain period. P.lamerei has been a wonder-taking almost monsoon rains with no problems-combined with cool,even cold temps. I doubt I would ever try P.geayi again -for sure never as a potted outdoor plant. In ground, maybe.

o

• Posted by tcava1 5, Central New Jerse (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 10:34

I inherited this cactus about 15 years ago, at about 12 inches high. Now it stands 7 feet (including the pot).

It has become quite difficult to move in and out of doors. The plant is much happier outside but would not survive the winters here in central New Jersey.

I understand that I can "top off" the plant to reduce its overall height BUT...can I root the topped off piece to start a new plant as well?

Here is a link that might be useful: Palm Cactus

o

Nice plant, tcaval. I think the answer is yes.

I wonder if there's some way to encourage a growth in girth as opposed to height?

o

The dog looks pissed.

tcava - your plant is NOT a cactus, it is not even related to a cactus, believe it or not. Please try and use the correct terminology.

I have never tried rooting a piece of Pachypodium lamerei but it probably can be done.

blutarski: If you can constrict the roots, limit watering, and provide ample sun then a gain in girth is favored over height. Lush conditions result in stem elongation.

o

And as to what agentfl asked,I have a P.lamerii indoors that has those big, wide,dark green plumeria like leaves. I bought it as a small 3" potted plant from a dedicated C$S nursery. My others have as you said,narrow leafs with a thick crown of foliage.That's the clone I believe, that is now dominating the market. I have seen near 3' plants with foliage almost halfway down the trunk.

o

I've had my M. palm since 1986. Its about 5 feet tall. I live in Maryland and keep it indoors in the winter. It manages to keep some leaves in winter. I water it perhaps twice the entire winter. If I water more, It looses all of the leaves. It usually grows a nice head in summer. Its been in the same pot for about 10 years. I give it lime a couple times a year to keep the soil from going sour (If there is any soil left.). This seems to work well for me. I have a yellow crown of thorns that has not been repotted since 1979. Its not even my oldest potted plant. That record goes to a Jade plant given to me when my son was born in 1973. It has been repotted a few times since then. Lime seems to be the secret to their longevity. Most of my potted plants are 20 years old or older. Anyone else with ancient potted plants?

o

My 20+ year old Madagascar Palm took a tumble a few months ago while inside for the winter and broke about 5" below the crown. The wounded stump healed and does not seem to be rotting or dying. Should I expect new growth of leaves?

At 5' high it spends winters indoors and summers outdoors, with healthy leaves all summer and fall, which then mostly die off over the winter. It has been in the same pot for at least 10 years.

o

my eight footer took a hit this winter in San Antonio, all three of the limbs now appear to be dieing (collasping). Can I cut these limbs back to where the core is not soft to save it?

o

GM,

Yes, cut back to healthy tissue, hygienically, dust the ends with an anti-fungal (sulphur powder or cinnamon) and keep dry.

It sounded like it got too cold - sorry about your plant, but as long as the trunk is still healthy, it should pull through. Keep it above 70F, too, if you can.

o

• Posted by zoobat Ontario, Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 21:20

We bought our Madagascar Palm at a grocery store at about 6 inches tall about 17 yrs ago. It is now roughly 7 feet tall, with 3 branches starting 12 inches up from the base, 8 secondary branches and a combined head in summer thats about 30 inches in diameter. Outside all summer in southern Ontario, inside all winter where 80% of the leaves fall off, then around we go again.

The problem is that it is too big to fit through doors, and taller than all of our windows, so winter is becoming harder. Before my wife decides, its time has come, I was wondering of it can be significantly pruned back without killing it. The branched heads make it beautiful in summer, but there are three trunks to start again. The biggest trunk is about 4 inches in diameter. Suggestions?

o

ZB,

Slice and dice, brother. Just cut at/near the limb nodes and cut to what you want it to be. Trim it like the tree it is and it should be fine, as long as you keep the wounds dry and warm. Be watchful of the sap, as it can be an irritant or worse to some people. You can root the cuttings provided you've got lots of bottom heat and a very loose mix.

As an added preventative, you can spray the cut ends with isopropyl alcohol.

With some cut ends you can get multiple growing points.

o

Hi! I live in Tucson, AZ and my husband and I planted a Madagascar palm in our front yard in August. We used to proper soil and planted it according to instruction. When planted, it was about 18 in. It quickly grew over 6-8 inches. We went out of town for about 2 weeks over the Christmas break and when we returned the palm had lost it's leaves. We assumed it had slipped into dormancy but it's mid-April and the leaves have not returned. A bright green color can be seen through the thorns on top of the tree. We need to know if it's just taking it's time to come out of hiding or if perhaps a cold snap got to it while we were away.

o

If you've got bright green, Julia, it's alive - it's just taking its time coming out of dormancy.

o

Noticed this morning signs of rot at the base of my cherised madagascar palm which is nearly 8 ft tall. It has just recently showed signs of branching out. Afraid it may be getting too much water in it's new location(recently moved homes). Can I cut the top portion above the signs of rot and propigate it from there? Similar to plumeria??? I do not want to lose this guy, it was given to me from someone very special. ANY help and advice is appreciated!

o

I have had my Madagascar Palm for about 8 years now and its around 6ft. It started steadily blooming on one branch about 3 years ago and this year it bloomed like crazy on all branches this year. So amazingly beautiful! About a month ago we noticed a cucumber like fruit on it which recently opened up and gave out over 100 little seeds. Not sure how to store these seeds or plant them. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Madagascar Palm

o
RE: SEEDS of a Madagascar Palm (pachypodium lamerei)

I have had my Madagascar Palm for about 8 years now and its around 6ft. It started steadily blooming on one branch about 3 years ago and this year it bloomed like crazy on all branches this year. So amazingly beautiful! About a month ago we noticed a cucumber like fruit on it which recently opened up and gave out over 100 little seeds. Not sure how to store these seeds or plant them. Any help would be appreciated.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

They don't store well. If sown now you get close to 100% germination, the longer it's stored the lower the % gets.

o

i live in arizona(phoenix area) so i have a madagascar that i have had for about 2-3 months. it is outside but on the patio which averages about 10 degrees warmer than the outside. it is about 3 ft tall and was purchased in one of those garbage can looking tall black plastic pots. i could not physically transplant it into the ceramic pot that i got for it because of the size (it has three of the spiky stems). so i cut open half of the plastic container and repotted it still in the cut open plastic pot into the ceramic and filled the side gaps between the plastic and the ceramic with a regular potting soil. the past winter here had about 5 days of 30 degree weather at night. i covered it with the plant cover (doubling it) . one stem lost a few leaves but remains in tact. the other two lost all their leaves. tonight i noticed that one of the stems has soft black spots toward the bottom. the stem feels sturdy and i dug around toward the root base as best i could and don't smell anything foul. there is no way i can dig it out especially only one of the stems. i have only watered it once since i have had it. the soil feels like it did when i opened the bag but is not really moist. to protect it further i did mulch around the top with bark a couple of weeks ago when they predicted another cold night. so, after this novel: Can anyone give me some help? Thanks!

o

Quinn,

It's best to post your question by itself, rather than tagging it to an old post, even though it's relevant to it - more people see it that way.

Anyway, since you took the trouble, you need to rid yourself of that rot, posthaste, so it doesn't spread. Cut to completely healthy tissue, dust with sulfur powder or cinnamon, and keep it (the cut) dry. Water as you normally would, but I'd check that soil again - it needs to be porous.

And join the Central Arizona Cactus and Succulent Society, or at least bring your plant there - there are some very good growers there who could give you on-the-spot guidance and counseling.

o
madagascar palm leaves turning black

We have a m. palm planted inside our Tucson house in a planter. It gets quite a bit of filtered sun, and we keep the house warm. It is in the plastic pot, buried in dry planting medium, is about 4-5 ft tall and has been in the house since last October .

The problem is that it has lots of new growth and looks great then turns black and falls off. We've been told to water it more, water it less, remove it from the pot because it's not draining, add epsom salts. Anybody know what to do???

Thanks.

o

I need help my pachy took a tumble and the trunk got hit halfway up and now feels soft and is weeping sap.The plant was very healthy and was enjoying the heat of summer and has plenty of leaves on the crown.Is it to late to save the plant?What is the best thing i can do for it to save it?Any advise would be appreciated.

o

I have 2 pachy's. that I have had for about 1-1/2 years. They are growning well and have been in full sun. I live in Phoenix and this summer it was especially hot (112 degrees +). The plants seem to have suffered a bit where the leaves seem to be sunburned. I moved them from the direct sun to a more shady, bright light area and they are recovering. Everything I have read indicates they require full sun - at least 8 hrs a day. Once they recover should I put them back in the direct sun or leave them where they are?

o

Les,

Leave them where they are, for the most part - they like full sun but not full Phoenix sun. They're tropical plants, not desert plants, for the most part.

o

I live in lake havasu AZ, currently have one that lives in the shade under patio in my front yard. Recently purchase two more beautiful pots and wanted to know how much sun can it take? Our summers go up to 118, even higher to 125.

The plant we have is doing well, not growing much and has never flowered.
It does have three offshoots.

I do not know how to post pictures. hellp

o

That's too hot - you'll have to give them some shade, more-than-usual waterings and lots of root room.

Here are some guidelines for posting pics.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sansevieria/msg0920072415930.html?4

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting pics

o

Doing Well for 3 years

This was tranplanted from Ca. I put pot in sun, quickly started turning brown,
Planted in shade 3 years ago and doing very well. It is very hot here in Lake Havasu City AZ.

o
RE: Madagascar Palm two (pachypodium lamerei)

Mad Palm purchased today

Purchase two of these from Lowes for 66.00 Each. Alas, they are poisonous according to internet search and gave them to my sister. They look great in her front atrium.

o

gaugie,

Yes, like their cousins the Oleander, the Plumeria and Adenium, they're poisonous, but so are many things, so that's no reason to not grow them, especially a handsome bunch as that (I don't know whether I'd split them up or not - there's something to be said for having a grove of Pachys, but they'd no doubt grow better separated a little bit).

'they are poisonous according to internet search and gave them to my sister' - Wednesday morning yucks, thanks.

o

They look beautiful at my sister in law's. At her front door in the shade.

on one side, we planted four as in the pot. On the other side, two separately and outside, just a bit, where there is little sun two planted together in a V.

My doggies are 3 lb and 6lbs, so I can enjoy them at her house.

o

It sounds like desert people are wondering why their Pachys are burning or not growing in the heat,when they thought it was what they need....and it also seems that those problems are happening to potted plants. They can handle any desert heat when established and growing in ground,but 118f sun beating down on a potted rootball..will hurt! Keep in mind that some shade is needed in hot summer areas. For the rest of us in cooler climes,the more heat reflected in summer the better. And black pots help.

o

I was inspired to get a Madagascar Palm this spring by this thread. Set it out in full sun and got full rain in Ohio zone 5b, and the plant seemed to do very well.

Now it is getting cold, what should I expect in winter? Are nights 45-50 degrees F okay, while still having sunny warm days? When I bring it inside for good I assume it should barely be watered... or should it be watered more? Will the leaves all fall off during winter inside?

o

i have several madagascar palms that are over 10 years old and about 6 feet tall. Recently the new growth on one of them has begun to come out wavy and compact. All three growing tips of that plant are having the same ailment. the other two plants aren't showing any signs of it, or any signs of distress. Does anyone know what could be causing this, or what i should do to fix it? thanks
-Rachel

o

Hi Rachel,

Can you post some pictures to show us what you're talking about?

Use the HTML code (the 'a href.....' line of code at Photobucket or the like) and put it in your message here.

You could have a variety of Pachypodium lamerei which has wavy leaves (I think there's a variety with the ssp. name 'ramosa' but I could be mistaken).

o

I've uploaded several pictures of the curious growth on my pachypodium to photobucket at the attached link (http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n632/Rachel6767/). 3 of the pictures are of the diseased plant growth and one is of healthy growth on a different plant. The plant in question had normal leaf growth up until recently so i don't think that the plant is of a wavy leafed variety (unless that phenotype shows up later in the plant's life?)
I appreciate the help,
Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: pachypodium pictures

o

Hi Rachel,to post a photo on this Board from PhotoBucket, copy/paste the html code in this message box. When you click on "preview message" your photos will show up. That way people won't have to keep going back and forth between screens to see the plants.

pachypodium

pachypodium

pachypodium

pachypodium

o

Rachel,

I think the leaves on yours are deformed due to insect attack or the result of spraying something like alcohol on the bugs and allowing the plant to remain in the sun while it's wet from the treatment. It looks like they'll grow out of it, partially at least, but I don't think it would hurt the plant for you to deleaf the plant, if you didn't like the deformed leaves remaining there. Just don't water heavily until new leaves are coming. Depending on where you grow this, your plant may start coming back in the winter (P. l. can be a vigorously-growing-tropical-yet-succulent plant).

o

That sounds like a plausible cause, thanks for the advice! I'll keep a close eye on them and let you know of any progress.
-Rachel

o

Those trunks look awfully skinny for the height they are, Rachel - are they in full sun most of the year?

And you're welcome - there are at least two forms of P. l., but neither one of them have the crinkled leaves.

o

i live in Southern Utah where there is lots of sun, and they are usually outside on the porch. We bring them inside during the winter since it often freezes at night, so they don't get a lot of light during those months.

o

But they keep their leaves in the winter (which you're right to bring them in from, of course....although a frozen growing tip will almost always result in branching)? That would explain the extraordinary lankiness - I would have thought they lose their leaves, which shows me what I know about growing Pachypodium inside.

o

Up above, when this post was started, it was said Pachypodiums should/can be grown like tropicals...

WHAT?

Over the years, my Pachy's, including lameri, are cared for as succulents.

Some lose leaves, others don't.

Does growing as tropicals mean, more water in winter? Fertilizer? Warm temps? 70F and higher?? Thanks, Toni

o
Madagascar Palm (pachypodium lamerei) - Propogation

Hello, I have two beautiful Madagascar Palms, one split after winter damage and created two additional branches, the other has never created additional branches. Is there anyway to force it to create additional branches? or propogate baby plants from the parent plant?

o

I have a question. I live in TX and I own a Madagascar plant that was given to me by my brother. My plant is about 6 or seven years old and it is about 5 ft tall. I have it in a pot that is about 10" by 10" deep. In the last three years the leaves have been looking semi-healthy that means that they have a beautiful shiny healthy green color; however, they tend to get a tiny drop of a black, oily, sticky sap that blocks the growth of the leaf. Usually appears on the tip of the leaf, but I have also seen it right in the middle of the the leaf. I try to wipe that off with a damp cloth but nothing seems to work. Since I know nothing about this plants, I thought it was because it was receiving too much sun so I moved it to an area where it receives less hours of sun and obviously it did not work. I am reading on this blog that was wrong about that too. can anybody tell me why this is happening and how can I prevent it from happening again this year? Is it time for me to re-pot it?? I have to mention that last year it started to grow babies from one side :-). I have been using a 2-7-7 cactus liquid fertilizer and it seems to work just fine, but is there anything better I should be using?? Help!!!!

o

A picture would help us diagnose your problem, but generally a plant such as that one would find it beneficial to get a repotting into a porous mix. Doing so soon would also benefit it from being in fresh, nutritious soil as the growing season starts again for us (yours may already be showing growth). You may also be overfertilizing it, too - these plants don't want much added nutrition. Has it not yet flowered for you?

o

We have had Igor, (our madagascar palm) for 20 years. He is about 10 feet tall, all 1 truck. Six years ago we put in a sky light for him because he was so tall. He has been twisting around to avoid getting into the skylight...but he is entering it. We would like to know if a madagascar can be cut in two, and both ends replanted. He seems very happy and healthy. Please advise, as we have grown accustom to his face never want to lose him! Thank you!:)

o

Hi everyone. I'm having some problems with my pachypodiums. I've got a geayi, lamerei, and a cactipes. All of them get black spots on the leaves, which then turn into dry brown patches and then the leaves yellow, wither and fall off. my plants no longer have a good tuft of leaves. the growing tips have only three or four leaves each. any ideas what the problem could be?

o

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and wanted to share a picture of my well over 9' Madagascar Palm that has yet to flower and is about 12 years old now.

o

cw,

It all goes back to the soil / heat / light triangle - you have a problem with one of them I'd guess.

CL,

Well, that Pachy certainly has yardage, and I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it's rather greatly etiolated. It shouldn't be that tall and that thin.

o

Hi folks, I too have a Pachypodium that caught a quick frost bite last summer. I immediately brought it indoors but, it lost all but one leaf, which is in bad shape. The trunk is solid and appears undamaged. How can I get it to sprout new leaves and start growing again?
Thanks for any advice.
I live near Chicago, IL.

o

It's sleeping now - just wait for spring and it will start leafing out. If you peruse the previous comments you'll see most of the time, even in ideal temps, this plant goes dormant.

o

Hey guys,
Great pictures and resources here thank you all for posting. I got my Madagascar Palm via way of my step mother and father who have had this guy for, well i am not sure how old it is exactly, but estimates are around 40+ years old. It has been in extremely limiting rectangular pot shared with another succulent type. I decided to re-pot it FINALLY! I think it will be very happy it is about 3 1/2 - 4 feet currently. As a side note this near the time of my step mother's passing I witnessed pink flowering which was followed by branching afterwords, currently 3 branches. It is an honor to have kept this one in the family!

o

Our Madagascar Palm is about 20 yrs old. It is happy. Each yr, it spends May through Sept on the patio and the rest of the year it is in our south facing windows. The question is: is there a way of cutting it so that it regenerates? It has one large trunk and a second smaller one which is about 3 ft tall. Can I cut off and root the smaller trunk and can I cut the larger one in half and both root the top section where the leaves are and get the lower, rooted part to send out new growth? How long would I have to wait till I see new growth? It could be a while since the second trunk started as a nub on the side of the main trunk and it was about 8 yrs before it really grew

o

Thought Id add one more pic of this nice looking plant.
Have a nice weekend in your garden.

Greg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here