Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Small-leaf Jade chopped back (pics)

Say goodnight to the world, my small-leaf Jade...

It was a long time coming - but I finally took the snips to this plant.

Although the nodes were quite tight and uniform, the limbs had simply gotten too long.

Last year, several of us Jade growers discussed trimming our Jades in early Autumn

to see if we could encourage them to flower (as per Norma's advice).

Some of you might wonder why I didn't whack it back further...I can hear the voices

of Brad and Jeffrey in my head, specifically. Well, I want the re-growth to begin sooner

rather than later, and I want to see if I have viable tips to support flowers by Christmas.

Also, this trimming (and subsequent growth) will show me where to make the next cuts.

Linked below is the original Thread I posted looking for an ID on this Jade.

Never really nailed it down, which is why I use the generic description, small-leaf Jade.

It's most likely a 'Crosby's Compact,' but I'm always open to suggestions.

The plant:

{{gwi:668332}}

With a hand for scale:

{{gwi:668334}}

Trimmed, front:

{{gwi:668336}}

Trimmed, back:

{{gwi:668338}}

Eleven severed limbs - notice how short the internodes have grown while in my care:

{{gwi:668340}}

And, lastly, back on the block with succulent friends. The day was overcast, so I left it outside.

I brought the Jade in last night, though, so that the tips would begin to shrivel and dry:

{{gwi:668342}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Jade plant - ID

Comments (57)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here they are, haphazardly stuck into an herb planter!
    Not quite a forest...but they'll make a decent hedge one day ;)

Turface, Pumice, Bark, and an insignificant fraction of Perlite in the mix.
    Dry mix, and I won't add any moisture for about a week.

{{gwi:668344}}

Josh

• sam268
    13 years ago

Hey Josh,

Great nice looking plant. I am also a big fan of crosby compact. I took a look at your other link to the page of how your plant looked in the past. It has older long leaves that looks like a regular jade and only the new growth has signs of small leaves like a crosby compact.
    I have had many crosby compact and even the older leaves at the very bottom of the plant are all small and round.
    I will post a picture later tonight for comparison.
    All your pictures from this post looks like a crosby compact except I find your leaves a bit pointy comparing to mine which are mostly round. The size is right and the tight growth is correct as well. Anyone else feels the same when you look at the pictures of the same plant from the eariler post?

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Sam,
    thus the confusion over the exact name of this Jade.
    'Crosby's Compact' is a place-holder for the time being, but I am always open to other suggestions.

It was so poorly grown that it looked like an entirely different plant.
    The leaves were large and flat from inconsistent moisture and low levels of light.
    I bought the plant thinking that it was an unique, grey-leafed variety of Jade....
    then, with a few months of proper care, it transformed into the small-leafed plant.

On this Jade, and another, I've noticed that the leaf-pairs grow one set large, two sets small,
    another set large, two sets small, and so on and so forth. Even the "large" leaves on this plant
    are considerably smaller than those of a standard Jade.

Josh

• sam268
    13 years ago

Here is mine before I seperated, you will see the leaves at the bottom of the trunk are still the same size or smaller.

I will post a more recent picture of this same plant later.

{{gwi:668346}}

Original Author
    13 years ago

Interesting pic and Jade, Sam. That trunk looks thick and sturdy!

Well, an update on my Jade. Here we are, a month later, and I've spotted growth from several nodes.
    Slowly but surely....

{{gwi:668348}}

{{gwi:668350}}

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Congrats, Josh. Please share more update photos of the plant as changes appear. TIA.

Xuan

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Good news Josh...should fill in nicely in time. Isn't great to see the new growths, it makes us breathe a sigh of relief we didn't kill it,lol...

Original Author
    13 years ago

Very true!
    Thanks, Xuan and Nancy!
    I am relieved to see that first growth appear. A week ago, I noticed that one of the main
    branches had shriveled...so I watered the soil. The branch plumped up, and now there's growth.
    I thought, for sure, that the branch would be lost.

Josh

• wallydraigle
    13 years ago

I've unwittingly joined you in your experiment. A few weeks ago the cats, um, "pruned" one of my jades for me, and it has some new growths just starting now. It's still a very young plant, so probably no flowers, but whatever.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Sometimes my cats necessitate radical action, as well.

Last summer, a cat tipped my 'Hummel's Sunset' off the deck rail, costing me a container
    and a very nice branch. Had to re-pot, cross my fingers, and wait for the recovery.

Josh

Original Author
    13 years ago

Nearly a month later, and growth is well underway!

In my house, Jades really take the main-stage this time of year.
    I've watered this Jade exactly twice in the two months since I pruned it down.

I should have pruned it harder, methinks... ;)

{{gwi:668352}}

• jade_man
    13 years ago

Josh,

looking good!

Doug

• zachman
    13 years ago

I have a similar sized plant in a similar condition. (its a gollum though) Is it too late to prune it as depicted here? I have been thinking and researching about it for a while, but i havent had the courage to go through with it. Have I lost my chance?

Zach

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Doug!

Zach, go for it!
    Once we get past the Solstice hurdle, Jades will respond even faster to pruning.
    The first cut is the hardest...after that, it gets easy.

Just remember not to water the Jade after you've pruned it.
    Without leaves, it won't be conducting photosynthesis - thus, it won't be using much moisture.
    So, wait to water until one of two things happens:
    1. new growth begins to appear;
    2. or part of the trunk (or stem) begins to wrinkle.

There are numerous testimonials and pictorials detailing Jade pruning success - I'm sure you've read
    a few here already.

Even a bare, rootless stump can spring to life...as long as it isn't rotted from over-watering.
    If the plant is vital, and in a well-draining soil mix, there is virtually no risk.

Good luck!

Josh

• zachman
    13 years ago

I am still planning my cuts for my jade. I also realized that it might not be in the best mix right now. It is in a gritty mix, but I have recently found ingredients that will prove better for growth. (I finally just found turface and other products). Can I repot and then cut? Should I cut and then repot? Should I let it be and make do with the current mix which has proven satisfactory so far?

here it is.
    {{gwi:668355}}

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Zach:

Not to nitpick, but I would say your Jade is more like 'Hobbit" than 'Gollum'. Nice plant.

Christopher

• zachman
    13 years ago

Cool! Thanks for the info, Ill change my records.

Josh,
    Where have you been keeping your pruned jade? Should it be kept away from lots of light? (im thinking that there is little use for light because there will be no photosynthesis as you said) Would light promote growth or harm the plant?

I love how yours is coming along. Thanks for documenting the process so well. It has inspired me to take action... soon... Happy growing!

Zach

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, Zach!

First of all, that is a 'Gollum,' without a doubt!
    Tubular, trumpeted leaves with cupped tips...

Secondly, I put the pruned Jade right back where it had been on an east-facing windowsill.
    I turn it every few days so that light strikes various parts of the trunk evenly. I think that this
    promotes more even leaf-budding from the nodes. If you don't turn your plant, I have a feeling
    that buds appear on the sunny side, predominantly...which would be fine for certain bonsai styles,
    but not my preferred aesthetic. I like balanced foliage all the way around.

In short, give it lots of light. As much as you can.
    The light/warmth will encourage the trunk to send out leaves to collect that light energy.

By the way, you have a nice Jade.
    I'd say don't re-pot. Prune now, then re-pot in the Spring when the Jade is in maximum growth.

Most of us are watering once a month, or when leaves become soft/wrinkled, during Winter.

Josh

• zachman
    13 years ago

Thanks Josh! Now I have all the info I need to calm my nerves. Cant wait to see growth like yours. Keep us updated on the life of your jade!

Zach

Original Author
    13 years ago

Assuredly!
    Thanks, Zach.

Josh

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Josh:

If the Jade guru (namely, you) says 'Hobbit', it is most assuredly 'Hobbit':) I saw quite a few non-tubular leaves on Zach's Jade, and I was comparing it with my 'Skinny Fingers' Jade which drew me to the erroneous 'Hobbit' hypothesis.

Alas, I am not the only one to get my Tolkien characters mixed up.

Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this Hobbit or Gollum?

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Christopher!

It's a 'Gollum,' Preciousssss.....! ;)

Of course, as we all learned from Tolkien's wondrous stories, Gollum (Sméagol) was from a
    line of ancestral Hobbits that lived along the River Anduin.

Most of our Gollum/Hobbit/Skinny Finger Jades do have a mix of leaf characteristics.
    I call them by the predominant leaves on the plant.

The Jade in the link is a 'Gollum,' as well.
    Although some of the leaves are "open" on the underside, they look like an opened tube.
    'Hobbit' leaves are open on the underside, but they usually have a sort of septum or ridge
    running down the underside of the leaf.

I'm going to make a sketch....be back in a bit...

Josh

Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay...I'm back with the sketch...

Sure, not my best work, but hopefully this will help with future identifications....

{{gwi:651709}}

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Oops! I meant to write 'Gollum' in the first sentence of my last post, and I wrote 'Hobbit'!

Josh, your excellent drawings clarify things completely, in my estimation. Thanks

Christopher

Original Author
    13 years ago

My pleasure, Chris! Thank you.
    And for the record, I knew what you meant to type! ;)

Josh

• zachman
    13 years ago

Great drawings! I havent seen such a clear depiction before. Im going to save this pic for future reference (with your permission).

Zach

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

My 'Gollum' is having some of the 'normal' leaves. This isn't preceding The End of Days, is it, because I'll need to water it then.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Zach! Please use it!
    I actually have an older sketch with some limited descriptors, including a note
    on monstrose forms, but this was clearer and more focused on these three types.
    I'll post the other, too, just for reference.

Jeffrey, every single 'Gollum' that I have actually shows a mix of leaf-types...
    from spoons to skinnies to staghorns (I'm sure you've seen these monsters) ;)
    On the sketch below, I see that I noted the extensive leaf-variation on 'Gollum.'

Older sketch forthcoming....sorry it's so hard to read!

{{gwi:668357}}

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Josh, NICE comeback on your Jade! Thanks for the drawings and clarification...I think I might actually have it now,lol...maybe?

Zachman, love your Gollum, very nice!

Christopher, I used to get them all mixed up too...but Josh did a pretty good job showing me the difference. Now if only I can remember!

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Josh..Looking very good...Great work.I can't wait to see that nice plant fill out! Thank you for posting this.

Nancy..Your jades are just coloring up so beautifully..I hope your weather warms up soon..:-))))))

HI Chris! Hope you had a good time at Lake Street Nursery..:-)

Mike

• Pat z6 MI
    12 years ago

Greenman, have you posted updates to this Jade's proress since the last post above? Would love to see it now.
    Pat

Original Author
    12 years ago

I'd forgotten about this post!

Thanks for bringing it back up! The Jade is doing well, and I will take some new pics to share.
    Stay tuned.....

Josh

• chicagardens
    12 years ago

Thx for the illustration. Now I can ID a clipping I was given.

Original Author
    12 years ago

You're welcome, Chica!

As soon as the sun rises, I'll be taking pics....

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Bring it on buddy! Please:-)

Mike

Original Author
    12 years ago

Howdy, Mike!

Well, these pics aren't the best, but I think they'll suffice for the time being....

{{gwi:668359}}

{{gwi:668361}}

Josh

• jade_man
    12 years ago

Josh,

that plant has filled out nicely!

• Pat z6 MI
    12 years ago

greenman, please, will you continue to try for a bigger trunk by removing these new "leaves?" Or, will you leave it alone as it is now? I am asking because I just can't take the plunge since I already lost a trunk and other people are so successful.
    Thank you for the updated photos. December must be a good month to defoliate these guys. Encouraging.
    Pat

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Same advice as on your other post on House Plants forum -

1. more light

2.well draining mix

3.smaller pot

All branches could be cut (woody or not) and rooted, even leaves will root.

Still, needs more light.

Josh (his plants in the photos) keeps all of them outside, he is in N.Cali. I know you don't have same sunlight, I don't either. Outdoors summer exposure will help tremendously. Here is just couple of my jades outside, today:

Both were chopped extensively few months ago. They are growing new leaves close together, with good color (and little red from sun). Nothing is droopy - they love sun.

And here, few more (few days ago) - same area, full sun:

Rina

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

Josh thanks for this post it is very informative
    Fred

• andy_e
    8 years ago

As long as people are bumping this old post...Josh how about an update on the plant that was the original subject?

Original Author
    8 years ago

Sure thing, Andy. I happened to have pruned it back a while ago.
    I'll get some new pics after our Father's Day lunch.

Josh

• arboretic
    8 years ago

Hi Josh, I'm new to this post, but I was curious about your jade. How big was it originally when you got it? I have a young jade that I've had for about 6 months that has no "branches", but more along the lines of two long stems with constantly growing ends. How would I make it resemble a more treelike jade plant? I'll post pictures soon, if you'd like a visual for what I'm talking about. Thank you!

-Sher

• arboretic
    8 years ago

This is the plant I'm telling you about, notice there's only one small segment that branches off, and the rest is very long but otherwise looks good. Advice?

Original Author
    8 years ago

Arboretic, my jade was twice as tall as it is now when I first rescued it.

To make yours branch, just prune off an inch or two. It'll start branching, then just keep pinching the new growth in half to make it bush out.

Josh

• shawneerie17
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

are you still answering questions on this forum?

if so does last years growth turn brown over the winter?

if it does then my plant grew 6 in in one growing season is that lots of growth?

and is it to late to trim i just want to cut off 2-3 branches (it is a fairly good sized jade) because i want it to have only upper branches

and is the growing season march to October or?...

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    8 years ago

Shawnee (love that name! The Shawnee were in my area of Ohio.) -

Can I suggest that you start a thread about your plant? Include a picture of your plant, tell us what your growing zone is and where you are located (not your address, of course! But Florida or California or Israel or Canada.) That will give us a better chance to give you good advice for your specific plant.

Ask as many questions as you want! You will have all of your answers on one thread that you can bookmark for future reference.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing your plant.

• pwarthur
    6 years ago

Just so you know ... nailed by Photobucket's "third party hosting" campaign ... can't see any photos.

Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm well aware. Screw photobucket.

Josh

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH