Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small-leaf Jade chopped back (pics)

Posted by greenman28 Nor Cal 7/8 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 7, 10 at 11:30

Say goodnight to the world, my small-leaf Jade...

It was a long time coming - but I finally took the snips to this plant.
Although the nodes were quite tight and uniform, the limbs had simply gotten too long.
Last year, several of us Jade growers discussed trimming our Jades in early Autumn
to see if we could encourage them to flower (as per Norma's advice).

Some of you might wonder why I didn't whack it back further...I can hear the voices
of Brad and Jeffrey in my head, specifically. Well, I want the re-growth to begin sooner
rather than later, and I want to see if I have viable tips to support flowers by Christmas.
Also, this trimming (and subsequent growth) will show me where to make the next cuts.

Linked below is the original Thread I posted looking for an ID on this Jade.
Never really nailed it down, which is why I use the generic description, small-leaf Jade.
It's most likely a 'Crosby's Compact,' but I'm always open to suggestions.

The plant:

Photobucket

With a hand for scale:

Photobucket

Trimmed, front:

Photobucket

Trimmed, back:

Photobucket

Eleven severed limbs - notice how short the internodes have grown while in my care:

Photobucket

And, lastly, back on the block with succulent friends. The day was overcast, so I left it outside.
I brought the Jade in last night, though, so that the tips would begin to shrivel and dry:

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Jade plant - ID

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small-leaf Jade chopped back (pics)

Josh, I think you did the right thing! It should look GREAT once it starts to leaf out. I can almost see how much more compact and dense it will be. I know its hard sometimes to come to the decision to take such drastic cuts...but almost always it does looks so much better once it grows and fills in. Please keep us posted!

o

Some of you might wonder why I didn't whack it back further...I can hear the voices
of Brad and Jeffrey in my head, specifically.

Psychiatric worries aside, there is no right and wrong to do a wackin'. I think you did a great job. Your plant looks an awful lot like my Crosby's Compact, which develops a very deep red color in winter. Trim all those long cuttings back to within an inch of the lowest leaves for faster rooting. I just stick those kind of cuttings into a large bowl to let them grow up a little before giving them their own container. They form a nice forest in a wide low container.

Brad

o

Thank you, Nancy!
I will be sure to keep this Thread updated as the winter progresses.
It was a hard decision, but I'm glad now that it's done. I'll let you know when I see the first signs of life!

Hey, Brad! I was hoping to draw you out with that line! ;)
I'm pretty sure it's a 'Crosby's Compact,' too, and I think I'll call it that from now on.
Aside from the Sunset Jades, I'd say that this one is truly my most colorful. Thanks for the tips!

The cuttings have been trimmed down and are curing at the moment....
then they'll be crammed into a window-sill herb container to root.

Josh

o

Josh, I can't see it.:-((((

Later man..

Mike

o

Mike!
you must be at work...!
When you get home, let me know what you think of the whack-job I did.
By the way, Mike, you have a cutting from this very plant.

Josh

o

Looking good Josh!

I did the same thing to my similar-shaped jade last week but after seeing yours, I think I should have trimmed further...

o

I do...Oh my, I will defiantely have to look, then post a picture of it's extended family..:-)

Mike..:-))))

o
Small-leaf Jade cuttings potted

Here they are, haphazardly stuck into an herb planter!
Not quite a forest...but they'll make a decent hedge one day ;)

Turface, Pumice, Bark, and an insignificant fraction of Perlite in the mix.
Dry mix, and I won't add any moisture for about a week.

Photobucket

Josh

o

Hey Josh,

Great nice looking plant. I am also a big fan of crosby compact. I took a look at your other link to the page of how your plant looked in the past. It has older long leaves that looks like a regular jade and only the new growth has signs of small leaves like a crosby compact.
I have had many crosby compact and even the older leaves at the very bottom of the plant are all small and round.
I will post a picture later tonight for comparison.
All your pictures from this post looks like a crosby compact except I find your leaves a bit pointy comparing to mine which are mostly round. The size is right and the tight growth is correct as well. Anyone else feels the same when you look at the pictures of the same plant from the eariler post?

o

Thanks, Sam,
thus the confusion over the exact name of this Jade.
'Crosby's Compact' is a place-holder for the time being, but I am always open to other suggestions.

It was so poorly grown that it looked like an entirely different plant.
The leaves were large and flat from inconsistent moisture and low levels of light.
I bought the plant thinking that it was an unique, grey-leafed variety of Jade....
then, with a few months of proper care, it transformed into the small-leafed plant.

On this Jade, and another, I've noticed that the leaf-pairs grow one set large, two sets small,
another set large, two sets small, and so on and so forth. Even the "large" leaves on this plant
are considerably smaller than those of a standard Jade.

Josh

o

Here is mine before I seperated, you will see the leaves at the bottom of the trunk are still the same size or smaller.

I will post a more recent picture of this same plant later.

Crosby

o

Interesting pic and Jade, Sam. That trunk looks thick and sturdy!

Well, an update on my Jade. Here we are, a month later, and I've spotted growth from several nodes.
Slowly but surely....

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Congrats, Josh. Please share more update photos of the plant as changes appear. TIA.

Xuan

o

Good news Josh...should fill in nicely in time. Isn't great to see the new growths, it makes us breathe a sigh of relief we didn't kill it,lol...

o

Very true!
Thanks, Xuan and Nancy!
I am relieved to see that first growth appear. A week ago, I noticed that one of the main
branches had shriveled...so I watered the soil. The branch plumped up, and now there's growth.
I thought, for sure, that the branch would be lost.

Josh

o

I've unwittingly joined you in your experiment. A few weeks ago the cats, um, "pruned" one of my jades for me, and it has some new growths just starting now. It's still a very young plant, so probably no flowers, but whatever.

o

Sometimes my cats necessitate radical action, as well.

Last summer, a cat tipped my 'Hummel's Sunset' off the deck rail, costing me a container
and a very nice branch. Had to re-pot, cross my fingers, and wait for the recovery.

Josh

o

Nearly a month later, and growth is well underway!

In my house, Jades really take the main-stage this time of year.
I've watered this Jade exactly twice in the two months since I pruned it down.

I should have pruned it harder, methinks... ;)

Photobucket

o

Josh,

looking good!

Doug

o

I have a similar sized plant in a similar condition. (its a gollum though) Is it too late to prune it as depicted here? I have been thinking and researching about it for a while, but i havent had the courage to go through with it. Have I lost my chance?

Zach

o

Thanks, Doug!

Zach, go for it!
Once we get past the Solstice hurdle, Jades will respond even faster to pruning.
The first cut is the hardest...after that, it gets easy.

Just remember not to water the Jade after you've pruned it.
Without leaves, it won't be conducting photosynthesis - thus, it won't be using much moisture.
So, wait to water until one of two things happens:
1. new growth begins to appear;
2. or part of the trunk (or stem) begins to wrinkle.

There are numerous testimonials and pictorials detailing Jade pruning success - I'm sure you've read
a few here already.

Even a bare, rootless stump can spring to life...as long as it isn't rotted from over-watering.
If the plant is vital, and in a well-draining soil mix, there is virtually no risk.

Good luck!

Josh

o

I am still planning my cuts for my jade. I also realized that it might not be in the best mix right now. It is in a gritty mix, but I have recently found ingredients that will prove better for growth. (I finally just found turface and other products). Can I repot and then cut? Should I cut and then repot? Should I let it be and make do with the current mix which has proven satisfactory so far?

here it is.
Photobucket

o

Zach:

Not to nitpick, but I would say your Jade is more like 'Hobbit" than 'Gollum'. Nice plant.

Christopher

o

Cool! Thanks for the info, Ill change my records.

Josh,
Where have you been keeping your pruned jade? Should it be kept away from lots of light? (im thinking that there is little use for light because there will be no photosynthesis as you said) Would light promote growth or harm the plant?

I love how yours is coming along. Thanks for documenting the process so well. It has inspired me to take action... soon... Happy growing!

Zach

o

Hey, Zach!

First of all, that is a 'Gollum,' without a doubt!
Tubular, trumpeted leaves with cupped tips...

Secondly, I put the pruned Jade right back where it had been on an east-facing windowsill.
I turn it every few days so that light strikes various parts of the trunk evenly. I think that this
promotes more even leaf-budding from the nodes. If you don't turn your plant, I have a feeling
that buds appear on the sunny side, predominantly...which would be fine for certain bonsai styles,
but not my preferred aesthetic. I like balanced foliage all the way around.

In short, give it lots of light. As much as you can.
The light/warmth will encourage the trunk to send out leaves to collect that light energy.

By the way, you have a nice Jade.
I'd say don't re-pot. Prune now, then re-pot in the Spring when the Jade is in maximum growth.

Most of us are watering once a month, or when leaves become soft/wrinkled, during Winter.

Josh

o

Thanks Josh! Now I have all the info I need to calm my nerves. Cant wait to see growth like yours. Keep us updated on the life of your jade!

Zach

o

Assuredly!
Thanks, Zach.

Josh

o

Josh:

If the Jade guru (namely, you) says 'Hobbit', it is most assuredly 'Hobbit':) I saw quite a few non-tubular leaves on Zach's Jade, and I was comparing it with my 'Skinny Fingers' Jade which drew me to the erroneous 'Hobbit' hypothesis.

Alas, I am not the only one to get my Tolkien characters mixed up.

Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this Hobbit or Gollum?

o

Thanks, Christopher!

It's a 'Gollum,' Preciousssss.....! ;)

Of course, as we all learned from Tolkien's wondrous stories, Gollum (Sméagol) was from a
line of ancestral Hobbits that lived along the River Anduin.

Most of our Gollum/Hobbit/Skinny Finger Jades do have a mix of leaf characteristics.
I call them by the predominant leaves on the plant.

The Jade in the link is a 'Gollum,' as well.
Although some of the leaves are "open" on the underside, they look like an opened tube.
'Hobbit' leaves are open on the underside, but they usually have a sort of septum or ridge
running down the underside of the leaf.

I'm going to make a sketch....be back in a bit...

Josh

o
Three main leaf-types

Okay...I'm back with the sketch...

Sure, not my best work, but hopefully this will help with future identifications....

Photobucket

o

Oops! I meant to write 'Gollum' in the first sentence of my last post, and I wrote 'Hobbit'!

Josh, your excellent drawings clarify things completely, in my estimation. Thanks

Christopher

o

My pleasure, Chris! Thank you.
And for the record, I knew what you meant to type! ;)

Josh

o

Great drawings! I havent seen such a clear depiction before. Im going to save this pic for future reference (with your permission).

Zach

o

My 'Gollum' is having some of the 'normal' leaves. This isn't preceding The End of Days, is it, because I'll need to water it then.

o

Thanks, Zach! Please use it!
I actually have an older sketch with some limited descriptors, including a note
on monstrose forms, but this was clearer and more focused on these three types.
I'll post the other, too, just for reference.

Jeffrey, every single 'Gollum' that I have actually shows a mix of leaf-types...
from spoons to skinnies to staghorns (I'm sure you've seen these monsters) ;)
On the sketch below, I see that I noted the extensive leaf-variation on 'Gollum.'

Older sketch forthcoming....sorry it's so hard to read!

Photobucket

o

Josh, NICE comeback on your Jade! Thanks for the drawings and clarification...I think I might actually have it now,lol...maybe?

Zachman, love your Gollum, very nice!

Christopher, I used to get them all mixed up too...but Josh did a pretty good job showing me the difference. Now if only I can remember!

o

Josh..Looking very good...Great work.I can't wait to see that nice plant fill out! Thank you for posting this.

Nancy..Your jades are just coloring up so beautifully..I hope your weather warms up soon..:-))))))

HI Chris! Hope you had a good time at Lake Street Nursery..:-)

Mike

o

Greenman, have you posted updates to this Jade's proress since the last post above? Would love to see it now.
Pat

o

I'd forgotten about this post!

Thanks for bringing it back up! The Jade is doing well, and I will take some new pics to share.
Stay tuned.....

Josh

o

Thx for the illustration. Now I can ID a clipping I was given.

o

You're welcome, Chica!

As soon as the sun rises, I'll be taking pics....

Josh

o

Bring it on buddy! Please:-)

Mike

o

Howdy, Mike!

Well, these pics aren't the best, but I think they'll suffice for the time being....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh,

that plant has filled out nicely!

o

greenman, please, will you continue to try for a bigger trunk by removing these new "leaves?" Or, will you leave it alone as it is now? I am asking because I just can't take the plunge since I already lost a trunk and other people are so successful.
Thank you for the updated photos. December must be a good month to defoliate these guys. Encouraging.
Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here