Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett2001

I'm a serial killer!

scarlett2001
13 years ago

Of Hydreangeas. Just killed off my 10th plant. I know they like morning light, dappled PM light, water. Don't cut off the blooms,etc. Why can't I grow these darned things?????

Comments (19)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

They hate our climate.
    Renee

ps: Don't you just drool over those Oakleaf and Limelight Hydrangeas?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Hmm...morning sun/afternoon shade should do it...?!? Drainage okay? Plenty of water and a thick organic mulch to protect the shallow roots? Planted with a bunch of azalea mix? How far inland are you?

{{gwi:548259}}

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

I use to live inland in Riverside county...had grown them 100% shade on the eastern side of my house. It was a pink variety that I got from Target, don't know the name. It grew great and flowered wonderfully. Soil was clay had slightly poor drainage but it remained constantly wet which I think it loved. I had also gotten a Nikko Blue at the same time but that one died instantly lol.

• aquilachrysaetos
    13 years ago

My nemesis plant is bougainvillea. Never can get the darned things to grow much.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Oh, hoovb, you made a liar out of me in a spectacular manner. What a wonderful plant. I have only seen them like that in coastal areas.

Dis- have you killed them by taking them out of the container and having all of the roots drop off (my technique) or by under-over watering?

Renee

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

The Napa valley could hardly be called "coastal" and hydrangea properly sited grow wonderfully easily. They are among the easiest plants to propagate from cuttings. I have them on two properties locally as foundation plantings on the east and north sides. Summer water and spent flower removal is the only care they get. Al

• davissue_zone9
    13 years ago

I have an oakleaf hydrangea in dry shade with heavy root competition in the Central valley, with water that has a ph of 8.8. If I can do it, so can you. Try again.

• scarlett2001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I live 13 blocks inland from the beach and I see lots of very gorgeous hydrangeas in my neighborhood, so I know it can be done.

Lately I have lost my green thumb. I used to be a pretty confident gardener but now I lose more plants than I grow. It's weird.

• bluebirdie
    13 years ago

Scarlett2001, how did your Hydrangea die? Are they in pots or in ground?

My yard used to be desert like during summer (up to 100-120F often). Sometimes the hydrangea in the ground needs a sprinkle of water twice a day otherwise they're cooked. This year it's been cool and they're getting water twice a week. So water does make a big difference to them.

The hydrangea I keep in the pots on the patio (partial shade) used to get twice a day watering during summer. Anything less their leaves dried up and they died.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Scarlett, sometimes it's just stuff beyond your control. This summer I noticed that my whole flower bed is infested with root knot nematodes, and plants that have always done well are now dying. In another bed, which was PERFECT last year, the Showbiz roses are getting smaller and burning up although it's not hot (maybe mosaic virus?). I had a large number of new (and expensive) irises rot. All of my vincas seem doomed to some sort of deadly wilt. And my potager? Don't ask. The veggies do much better OUSIDE of the amended beds than they do INSIDE the carefully amended beds. I didn't consider the fact that well-amended soil drains like sand, and my water bill has skyrocketed.

You are still a really good gardener, it's just that Nature finds a way to thwart us at every turn.

Renee

• scarlett2001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They just seem to act as though I don't water them at all when I do. Droop, droop, dry up. I really thought I had a good shot at it this year because it has been so cool.

• surfcityhb
    13 years ago

Me, too! Can grow 'em to save my life. My mother had one that she neglected completely (except to whack it back once a year)and it was beautiful. Me? I'm hydrangea repellent, it seems.

• Laurel Zito
    13 years ago

Hydrangeas need to be purchased at good nursery, not the supermarket, not Target. The should be outdoors when you buy them. The soil should be very prepared before planting. Dig a huge hole much bigger the the root ball, add a lot of organic material to the soil. Water frequently for the first two weeks to get past transplant shock. Then cut back on water to 2 or three times a week, unless it is very hot and the soil is draining very fast. Then water everyday.

Some people say they can get the grocery stores ones to grow, but I have not found that it work. Also if you go to a nursery and they have hydrangea in a green house and they have forced bloomed them to make them look pretty for Easter. They are meant to die right after Easter. People spend a lot on cut flowers, and this is no different. They just have roots on the cut flowers.

I have had small ones work, but they should be outside when you buy them. Big ones are much easier, so you may want to start with a big one. I also went through a lot of grocery store hydrangeas until I figured it out. Forced blooming is bad for the plant.

• scarlett2001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, Tropical, that is the type of advice I was seeking. Do you recommend any special type that is easiest to grow?I don't care about the color.

And is it ok to cut off the dead stuff in case the roots are still viable?

• jenn
    13 years ago

I have one growing on the north side of the house in rich clay soil to which I added a lot of amendment at planting time. It seems to be thriving with regular sprinkler water and sun until about noon (in summer) and total (bright) shade in winter.

My mom grows them in dappled shade in her amended sandy soil.

Both of us live in Sunset zone 19.

• chrissystarr
    13 years ago

Here in Long Beach, I can only grow them on the North side of my house. They get no direct sunlight in the winter and in the summer, half of the plant gets sun, but the roots never do. Gross clay soils here. I grow Annabelle (like limelight). Sorry this pic is pretty ugly- I didn't prune them last year and they are kind of all over the place. It is also the tail end of their bloom. Some of them turn brown, and some stay green and dry that way- they make great dried flowers. In June & July, the plant is covered with white and lime green pom poms. There is an Oakleaf Hydrangea in the background, against a fence. Some nice dead Alstroemeria stalks too :-0

So- it can be done!

{{gwi:548260}}

• scarlett2001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chrissystar, I'm also in L.B. Well, sort of between L.B. and Seal Beach. Mine are also on thre North side,so maybe that will do it.

Aren't we in Sunset zone 24?

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Let's see if i can show you mine,i have these pictures posted on the cottage garden forum.

The majority of mine are on the west side of my house,all those big beautiful pinks,blues,lacecaps etc.Then i have a few in the front(north side) and while they do bloom good,they are not as prolific as the west side ones.

Also all of mine were planted without all the things that tropical said should be done.No Offense Tropical,but when i started these some 38 years ago,i was young and knew nothing about them or planting either for that matter.My son had given me the first one for mothers day when he was 13,he's now almost 51,and they bloom like this every year.I'm along the coast in Oceanside.

Every year i whack them back,and these are the results.Mine thrive on neglect!!!!
    Kathi

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cottage/msg0616425329609.html

• chrissystarr
    13 years ago

Doh!- yes Scarlett we are in zone 24 :-)