Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Finding Nova Scotia Heirloom Tomato

Posted by nwheritagegardener none (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 14 at 17:28

I am trying to find out some information about an heirloom tomato and whether or not it even exists. There was a thread posted here on GardenWeb in '08 about a "purple plum" tomato that had its origins with the Wentzell family of Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia. I can not find any other reference to it other than the message board thread. If it exists, it seems to only be known locally in Nova Scotia. I have even contacted Windhorse Farm, which is what the Wentzell family farm is now called and they said they don't have the seeds for it. The original poster of the thread doesn't seem to be active any more. I am hoping that someone from Nova Scotia might have some clue that could help me. TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Finding Nova Scotia Heirloom Tomato

Just a thought, do you think it may be the same as the 'Purple Russian' Heritage Harvest Seed sells? Did the Wentzell family develop this tomato themselves or get the seed elsewhere?

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Russian

o

All I know about it is what was posted in the thread here. I haven't been able to find any other information about it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Message board thread

o

Whenever anyone needs to search for heritage types vegetables or plants, look it up in Seeds for Diversity.. They have an extensive list of types of vegetebles, breed and their suppliers. So for this one

Annapolis Seeds in NS sells them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wentzell Tomato seed

o

Annapolis Seeds
8528 Hwy 201, RR#3
Middleton, NS
B0S 1P0

o

The Wentzell tomato is a beefsteak. I've already gotten that one from Annapolis Seeds. This one is supposed to be a plum. I tried to look it up on Seeds of Diversity, but had no luck. I even tried their new seed search function, as well as browsing their seed library. Seeds of Diversity doesn't even list the Wentzell beefsteak. I just wish there was some way to contact the OP of the other thread!

o

Then try the Annapolis seed bank to see if they can help track this down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here