Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontnative

Late summer bloomers in z 5b

ontnative
14 years ago

I posted a list of perennials that are currently blooming, in late August, in my Z 5b southern Ontario garden, on the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum. See link below. Afterwards, I realized that I missed a few. Here they are:

Astilbe chinensis pumila

Agastache Black Adder, aurea, Apache Sunset

Liatris ligulistylis, cylindrica, spicata

Monarda Blue Stocking, Gardenview Scarlet, Jacob Cline, Coral Reef

Callirhoe involucrata

Aster umbellatum

Helianthus 'Lemon Queen'

Veronicastrum virginicum

Solidago flexicaulis, caesia

Pycnanthemum virginianum, tenuifolium

Sedum 'Hester', 'Autumn Fire'

Hosta 'June', 'Invincible', 'Halcyon', plantaginea

Gaura 'The Bride'

Sol x Aster hybr. 'Leraft'

I have a few extra late perennials that haven't started to bloom yet.

Aster shortii, urophyllum

Eupatorium rugosum 'Chocolate'

Aster (dwarf) Wood's series

Chrysanth/Dendranth. 'Hillside Sheffield', 'Rhumba', 'Mary Stoker', and 'Mei Kyo'

Allium thunbergii 'Ozawa'

Physostegia 'Vivid'

For those of you wondering what to grow in August, September, October, these are a few plants that have worked well for me. I garden on clay, usually dry, and part shade to shade.

P.S. Most of the goldenrods and asters have new scientific names now. In the interest of time, I have used the (mostly) old names.

Here is a link that might be useful: plants blooming in late August

Comments (17)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

I don't have much blooming this time of year other than coneflowers and the asters are just starting so thanks for the list I'm going to copy it for future reference.
    My garden is quite nice the end of May/beginning of June then it slides into the doldrums, just like me. I think I see a connection LOL.

• garcanad
    14 years ago

Nice thread. Been trying to find more plant materials to extend my garden season in the last couple of years. Also in bloom now in my garden includes some varieties of phlox paniculata ('Blue Paradise','Goldmine' etc.), other varieties of sedum (e.g. 'Pink Chablis', 'Autumn Joy' etc), some no name green leaf heuchera with bright red flower (from seeds), some varieties of coreopsis. Hope others can share what else is in bloom this time of the year in their gardens.

• ianna
    14 years ago

I'm in a zone 5b myself.

The plants I still have blooming are

Rudbeckia hirta
    Rudbeckia goldsturm
    sedum autumn joy
    eupatorium Joe Pye
    coreopsis moonbeam
    coreopsis early sunrise
    agashtache
    lavenders
    coral bells
    heucheras
    phlox
    russian sages
    Limelight hydrangeas

My coneflowers are still in flower. As it begins to get old, I simply remove the petals leaving behind the cones for hte birds to eat. It also has a sculptural effect.

Others that would bloom around this time are
    Hardy geraniums
    Japanese anemone

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

Here's my list of some not specifically mentioned:

Geranium 'Rozanne' of course
    Geranium 'Sandrine'
    Geranium 'Perfect Storm'
    Coreopsis 'Redshift'
    Coreopsis 'Full Moon' -- very impressive
    Echinacea purpurea -- I mention this one again, because I'm finding this year that the seedlings from last year's blooms are now just reaching their peak, several weeks later than the older plants
    Anemone 'Pamina'
    Penstemon 'Sweet Joanne' -- also impressive
    Physostegia
    Helenium
    Eupatorium 'Chocolate' -- yet to bloom

Here's to dirt under your nails... for a few more weeks. ;)

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

My favorites for fall color are Rudbeckia, I have Prairie Sun, Goldsturm and one I rec'd in trade that I think is Capaccino. The other two favorites are Phlox and Sedum. This year I also have Scarlet Flax and Lemon Monarda. Both are putting on a very nice show.

• garcanad
    14 years ago

Just notice that my Crocosmia 'Lucifer' is starting to bloom. This is a retry. Previous trials did not survive the winter. Anyone has good luck with it in Zone 5b?

marric, Scarlet Flax appears to be an annual. Can it self-sow to maintain its own little patch?

(Added Eupatorium rugosum 'Chocolate', Physostegia 'Vivid', Geranium 'Sandrine',Geranium 'Perfect Storm' to my 2010 hitlist.)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

Garcan,

Funny you mention the Lucifer. I tried it a few years ago and it succumbed to one of our winters. I was so disappointed, but while cleaning out the same area just a few weeks ago, I noticed another growing there. It must have reseeded and so there is a healthy leaf set about a foot tall. I am anxious to see if the seeded one will be tougher, which has always been my experience. :O)

I could have a prblem though... Last year I went and planted a Japanese Peony tree just a couple of feet away. UGH!!

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

Tiffy

why did you say Ugh about the Japanese Tree Peony

I just love them They take some time to become splendid. Patience.

Love the listing of things in bloom just now

Liked the comment keep dirt under your fingernails. I know it is not much to be admired among most of my women friends, but I myself, don't mind it at all. Mostly not at all.

I have several Hydrangea looking so good and roses with quite a lot of bloom Tropicals as well that sure do catch your eye, such as Brugmansia, Datura and Canna Lilies.

Some Chrysanthemums are just opening. Lots of sedums make for a great show. Yes that Russian sage looks good now
    I am just working on a new large front garden bed. eight feet by sixty It will be sunny all day and I am not planing to water it much So good to have the name of some of these plants listed.

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

Garcan - Scarlett Flax is an annual. This is my first year growing it (wintersown). I think that it might reseed but I have seeds leftover anyway and I will wintersow some more. I love the bright color and the airiness of the plant. Marg

• garcanad
    14 years ago

tiffy, Curious to know the exposure where you planted your Crocosmia; see much winter sun? Good luck with your baby Lucifer.

diane, 8x60 feet bed would need almost a small truck load of plants to fill :O. Have fun.

marric, I don't usually have annual, but I think I will make exception for this flax. When did it start to flower from wintersown?

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

garcan - mine started to flower about 2 months ago. It has almost tripled in size since I planted it.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

What about hardy hibiscus? They are the stars of the late August/Sept. garden.

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

You're right woodyoak -- there's an old red one in several gardens around here that's a beauty. I always liked 'Blue River II' as it seemed to bloom longer. Anyone try any of the newer varieties? I'm getting 'Summer Storm' next spring.

• donna_jj
    14 years ago

Great post!
    The newest issue of Canadian Gardening has a nice article on fall blooming plants with good suggestions for new varieties of old favorites, such as Sedums. As for the Hibiscus, I have l8 hardy hibs in my back yard in full roaring bloom right now, and they will put on a good show till the frost does them in .
    For the above question re the newer cultivars of Hibs, Summerstorm is a beauty with a burgendy-colored stem and leaves, similar to Plum Crazy, Fantasia and KopperKIng. The flowers re gorgeous, a deep plum-red; it does not bush out very rapidly, my 2 year old plant is still a single stem. Another beauty is Cinnamon Grappa, which has huge fire red blooms, quite tall, and has bushed out enormously since purchase last year. I'll post pics once I can figure out how to , I'm still a newbie at that.

• garcanad
    14 years ago

donna, couldn't wait to see pictures af all the varieties of Hibiscus you have. I should have paid ore attention to this group of plants for the end of summer season.
    Here is a link that may help you to insert pictures: Insert Pic to GardenWeb

• mitanoff
    14 years ago

My flower bed is less than a year old, so I'm hoping for a better show next year.
    Daylilies - I actually went to the daylily farm to see what was blooming now (Sept). I bought El desperado and red ripple as they were in bloom, and 'August Frost' and 'Beautiful edging' as I was told they will bloom in Sept next year. (I'm a sucker for whites). Hoping these will extend the season for next year.
    - Happy returns
    - El Desperado
    - Red Ripple
    Coneflower
    - double decker
    Phlox
    - candy stripe
    Aster
    - dwarf purple (just started)

• RickandChrystal
    12 years ago

Let's not forget all the miscanthus and Calimigrostis varieties that are coming into there own in the latter part of summer through fall.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting