Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubtherock

Difference between Tropicanna 'Gold' and 'Bengal Tiger'

rubtherock
14 years ago

The Bengal Tiger Canna looks exactly like my Tropicanna Gold. Is this the same plant or is there some subtle difference I'm not aware of?

Comments (24)

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

That was answered by canna2grow here:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/canna/msg0522523915678.html?26

"... examine the "color" of the calyx or sepal (the leaf like covering holding the bloom). On ÂPretoria (ÂBengal TigerÂ) this entire covering is colored red with a glaucous coating. This characteristic is identical to the color of the calyx of ÂTropicanna and ÂDurbanÂ. ÂTropicanna Gold is quite different as its calyx is green with a glaucous coating."

• rubtherock
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you.

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

Hopefully the photos below will be of help.
    Regards,
    Kent
    Tropicanna Gold (left) Pretoria/Bengal Tiger(right)
    {{gwi:533617}}

"Style" of Pretoria left Tropicanna Gold right
    {{gwi:533619}}

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Thank you for the pictures.

• rubtherock
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you. Now I know the difference.

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

"Hopefully the photos below will be of help."

In the picture, the flowers are substantially larger on Tropicanna Gold. Is that typical?

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

I had not paid much attention to the relative bloom size comparison and from the photos TG blooms do look larger. I think you will find that there is little if any difference between the two cultivars bloom size.
    Kent

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

Canna2Grow,

There is a substantial conflict of pictured flower descriptions here: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/banana/msg0816123210289.html?4

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

The photo at the banana forum is an exceptional digital picture. Under most growing conditions Tropicanna Gold is not quite this discernible when compared to Pretoria (Bengal Tiger). I think the above thread began because many growers did have difficulty in separating the two cultivars, at least until the physical differences can be identified.
    What causes the differences in color intensity is often a result of the growing conditions and likely the growing temperature. Several cultivars show rather radical color phases because of the temperature. In many flowers, inhibitor genes which are known to be temperature sensitive alter the bloom effect (color) to the point that we may have difficulty identifying the actual cultivar. A noted Australian canna collector/grower has documented a number of these cultivars growing in Australia that show this trait. The same applies to most of our cultivars but the degree of change usually is somewhat more subtle. This trait is typically a seasonal effect and not a daily occurrence.
    The photo I posted here was only a color photo taken some time back and scanned. The group of both Pretoria and Tropicanna Gold was cut and placed in a bucket of water for at least a couple of hours before the picture was taken. This was done to help many who questioned the validity of the two cultivars being different back in the early years of Tropicanna Gold being released to the public.
    The normal aging process can be seen by viewing your flowers in the early morning as compared to a hot late afternoon viewing.
    Regards,
    Kent

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

Have you ever seen a Tropicanna Gold, in person, not an image, with a flower with variegation like that?

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

I have no intension of getting into an "enhanced" photo debate with anyone at this forum or in this case the banana forum. I am reasonable certain the photo shown there is of C. ÂTropicanna Gold and that growerÂs photo are not typical in color intensity I have observed in my growing experiences. I am not a camera settings expert and cannot comment relative to how this photo may or may not have been taken to justify the results. All the photos on his page certainly show well grown and photographed plants that I would be proud to display. I think I would choose to accept the fact that what you see is what he has growing in his landscape.
    Regards,
    Kent

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

I have no intension of getting into an "enhanced" photo debate with anyone at this forum or in this case the banana forum. I am reasonable certain the photo shown there is of C. ÂTropicanna Gold and that growerÂs photo are not typical in color intensity I have observed in my growing experiences. I am not a camera settings expert and cannot comment relative to how this photo may or may not have been taken to justify the results. All the photos on his page certainly show well grown and photographed plants that I would be proud to display. I think I would choose to accept the fact that what you see is what he has growing in his landscape.
    Regards,
    Kent

My question required a simple "Yes" or "No" answer and not a 110 word essay on the potential pitfalls of digital image editing. I was following the Golden Rule by giving you the opportunity to answer with one word. I cannot relate to those who obsessively speak the opposite of succinctly.

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

The only people in the world who demand simple yes or no answers are usually lawyers or politicians. I donÂt have much use for most of them. If you donÂt like my answers, donÂt address your question to simply me! There are other qualified members. You might try actually practicing the use of the Golden Rule.
    I have grown a few hundred thousand Tropicanna Gold and I think you could say I have actually seen a few.
    Kent

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

The only people in the world who demand simple yes or no answers are usually lawyers or politicians. I donÂt have much use for most of them.

"Only" and "usually" are contradictory in the first sentence. The second sentence is meaningless because it does not preclude the possibility that you have great use for some lawyers.

Lawyers often demand "yes" or "no" answers because they are dealing with evasive hostile witnesses. Politicians seldom ask "yes" or "no" questions. News reporters often ask politicians "yes" or "no" questions because politicians are evasive and dishonest. I welcome "yes" or "no" questions because I take pride in being honest and succinct.

If you donÂt like my answers, donÂt address your question to simply me!

But, that would not prevent you from answering! In fact, I did NOT specifically address the question, "Have you ever seen a Tropicanna Gold, in person, not an image, with a flower with variegation like that?", to you. Before I asked that question, I didn't realize that you were so compulsively verbose and meandering. So, let's try that again:

Everyone except Canna2grow,

Have you ever seen a Tropicanna Gold, in person, not an image, with a flower with variegation like that?

• silit
    14 years ago

Yes.

I grow Tropicanna 'Gold' and there is a total difference between its flower and the Pretoria's flower.

I didn't manage putting an image in this post, so I put a link to a web-page with pictures I've taken in my greenhouse.
    This is my website and it's a commercial one- please don't get into the other pages of the web from this link, I think it's against the rules here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropicanna 'Gold'

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

silit,

Thank you. If this is a stable mutation or gene expression, I should try to obtain a rhizome from such a plant instead of haphazardly buying Tropicanna Gold.

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

Silit,
    Were you by chance the one (A.A.)who contacted me in 2002 about a visit to the US? I see you are still growing a few of the cultivars I introduced. I would like to contact you and learn more about your growing operation in Israel. (Private Mail) Can I use the contact at your website?
    Regards,
    Kent

• silit
    14 years ago

You're very welcomed to contact us. I'm not A.A., but his agronomist :-)

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

Silit,

Thank you and hope all appreciate your participation here at this forum.

Kent

• rubtherock
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are a few pics of mine... Thanks for your input Kent. I learn a lot from your knowledgeable submission.

{{gwi:533621}}

{{gwi:533623}}

{{gwi:533626}}

{{gwi:533629}}

{{gwi:533631}}

• silit
    14 years ago

How do you put images in the post???

Kent, it is an honor for me to participate the same forum as you and I'd be very happy to meet you someday. A.A. sends his greetings, as well.

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

Rubtherock,

Thanks for the update on your cannas, they are looking great. I am very grateful to participate in a forum where we can all learn and exchange information. I hope you have the opportunity to provide the same to others. Do you dig and store your cannas in the winter? It is a wonderful experience to see our barren winter landscape explode into a beautiful calliope of form and color. Is it a labor of love?? I really love your ÂPink SunburstÂ.

SilÂit.

Thank you for remembering me to A.A.
    Posting photos can be done several ways and a good beginning is to use the "Instructions" for using the forum at the top of the Garden Web page. You will likely want to then click on the "special test forum" and "gallery area". This will allow you to see how others are learning to attach photos. It is a good practice area.
    You will notice a number of members use an on-line photo hosting site to download their photos. Some use "Photobucket" but there are others. They can then use the HTML code for any photo at that site. This code is simply "copied and pasted" into the body of your message you wish to post. I would suggest you try the sample area after you download a photo to your chosen on-line site. I prefer to post the photos on a separate line with a skip between photos or text. Hope this is useful and correct!

Regards to all,
    Kent

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

How do you put images in the post???

{{gwi:533632}}

• silit
    14 years ago

Thank you both.

Kent, would you write my e-mail? It's silit@our web address.