Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Mrs. Postwoman

Posted by radioron (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 9, 10 at 6:34

My goal this year is to plant my calla and canna bulbs earlier. Would someone please tell me when I could first, separate my bulbs and plant the bulblets (sic)in pot for placement on a south window?
Are squared et Al?( I know that signature would mean a screen zapping by airport security)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Mrs. Postwoman

You could place canna bulbs, repotted in a good growing mix, in early April for the window placement. Put into ground after last frost of course.

As for the Calla (Zandedeschia spp)see the discussion here.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farnorth/msg0218540720533.html

o

My calla bulbs grew about two inches high last summer - or what passed for a summer, that is. We'll see how they do this year. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Clickable link

o

Hi folks,thanks for all the help. My inclination this year is to use the huge fibre pots sold by Cdn.Tire for my cannas and plant them in one of my flower beds.
I live out in the rhubarb between Lindsay and Bobcaygeon. Yet although I know a lot of farmers, I am shy to ask them for a few bushels of sheep or cattle manure. Has anyone "asked" and what was the response? Also, is it in the realms of reality to ask any of the local bee keepers to place a beehive on my rural property? I am known as a guy who is not shy but in these instances(gardening) I don't like to press people.Sorry Web master for the tangents.R squared.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 28, 10 at 17:56

I usually start mine in late March / early April. That way they are well started by the end of May / early June when I set them out in the garden and watch them take off ... blooming before some of my neighbours even have theirs planted. LOL

o

I'm going to bring mine up from the root cellar and start them inside this year..they didn't do well last summer..Just watch..we'll have a tropical hot hot season this year! (Hope?)

o

Fingers crossed, Wendy!

o

Thanks Wendy,Sharon,Jroot,and Marcia. Your calla advice is solid. Late March sounds fine. Marcia,I believe you also helped me on by winter sowing question. I have just found the winter sowing forum and shall read it. I am puzzled on how one can plant seeds in frozen earth covered with two feet of snow. Thanks again folks.rsquared

o
RE: the penny's dropped

Marcia, I just read the form by Trudi Davidoff. Now I get it. One is not planting in the ground but still outdoors. Clever,what?
Thanks for your patience.r squared

o

There ya go, Ron. It makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? I had limited luck my first couple of years but persevered because it made so much sense. I've been doing it for several years now and a lot of plants in my gardens were winter-sown. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here