Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help....no blooms on my container citrus

Posted by organic_flutterby 5 MO (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 7:57

I have a meyer lemon tree and a key lime tree. Please read about them and see their pictures in this other post below.

I will be repotting them in the gritty mix later this week, actually going into a little bit bigger pot too.

But there are no blooms at all on the lemon and very few on the key lime. I use 1 tsp foliage pro in a gallon of water with 1 tbsp vinegar added to it. I water when they need it (I think). We have had quite a few overcast days, but mostly they are in the sun. What can I do to get blooms?

That brings me to another question for when I bring them inside. What do you think about 45w 5500k bulbs? I need advice on this too, please.

Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: my container citrus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help....no blooms on my container citrus

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 10:21

Most likely you wont get blooms until late winter or early spring. both my meyer and key lime have their first blooms around that time. These trees are too small to allow for fruit to develop so I would let them set the fruit then remove it. The more you let the tree grow now the better crop you get sooner.

45watt 5500k, what? fluorescent, LED. only fluorescent I can think of in that range is T5 and that is what I use. very bright and efficient.

o

For the Meyer, if you give it some extra shots of food, it could well bloom in September; it will bloom again in Spring; and when the tree is mature it will bloom more or less the whole year if adequately fed, but the heaviest blooms will be in early Spring and early Fall. My garden Meyers seem to bloom every time I fertilize them (they are inground and fertilized 3-4 times per year)

o

Thank you! Both my trees have a couple fruit each and I will remove those. It's so hard to do that, lol.

Just bought everything today to make the gritty mix and will repot them soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here