Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sachow

suggestions for a pillar?

sachow
16 years ago

I want to add 1 clematis to go up a pillar of a pergola. I already have medium pink Cl rose and clematis Freckles on that pillar. The upper part will get direct afternoon sun so I would like blooms that don't bleach out, in your experience.

Some of the ones I have read about (mostly from your postings!)

1. Solina

2. Multi-blue

3. Allanah

4. Westerplatte

I would appreciate any pros/cons of these, and any others.

I already have Jackmanii with Fourth of July on another pillar, so I'd prefer non-purple on this side. Here's my 1 year-old combination from last year:

{{gwi:578984}}

I am thinking of adding another clematis on this pillar too. Maybe a white such as Huldine. Would it be too cramped?

Comments (14)

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

Personally I don't think it would be too cramped ...and they are both the same pruning group so that is great..one hard prune each year and let 'em rip!!..I have Clematis Solina in quite a bit of sun and she doesn't fade badly but then again..she is a lavendar-bluish color!!..Clematis "Mme Julia Correvon" is one I have in full sun and she doesn't seem to fade for me..My "Multi-Blue" does fade here..if you want a real contrast for your pink rose..red would look fantastic..Also, consider Clematis "Bourbon","Ville de Lyon" or Barbara Harrington"
    I love your Gardens!!..Jeanne
    oh yea and I just Love "Avant-Garde"

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

I want to make sure I have this right since I am a little confused by the description. I understand that you have a rose and clematis Freckles already planted on the pillar you posted a picture of. You want to know which clematis on your list could be planted with the two existing plants on that pillar.

If that is the case, just realize that Freckles is a type I clematis meaning that it typically doesn't get pruned back except to remove deadwood and to contain its size. It can also get as tall as 4 to 5 meters which translates into over 11 feet tall. I am not sure what type of pruning the existing rose gets since I am not a rose person. If it gets pruned back severely each year, then you might sacrifice quite a lot of the blooms on the Freckles that is co-planted with it now. If the rose doesn't get pruned back then you are safe.

Of the ones on your list you are inquiring about, all except Solina are type IIs which don't get pruned back except to remove deadwood and contain its size.

Huldine is another type III that will need pruning each year.

Will need to know how the rose has to be pruned back each year if at all to make any recommendations. Just realize that if the rose is one that has to get cut back severely each year to bloom, that you already have a mismatch in the two plants that you currently have planted on the pillar. Adding another plant could just complicate your pruning chores each year or decrease the number of blooms on your Freckles.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Of course after posting I realized one more tidbit of info about cirrhosas in general. They tend to go dormant during the heat of the summer and the leaves can get quite brown and crunchy. This is normal and nothing to be worried about however, the plants typically require a lot less water during their dormant period than when they are actively growing. I might be concerned about it being planted near a rose which is going to need more water during the heat of the summer when the cirrhosa is dormant.

• sachow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am sorry for not being clear enough in my questions. nckvilledudes, you are correct, I am growing 1 rose (Uetersen) and 1 clematis (Freckles) on the first pillar I asked about. I don't have pics of that one. This is year 3 for the clem and year 2 for the rose, so far neither has been pruned except for training. In most books etc, they say climbing roses do not need to be hard pruned.
    I wasn't aware of the "less water in summer" for cirrhosas, so thanks. The leaves did get brown but not unsightly or dead-looking. Hopefully this year the rose will cover it up more. I know it will be a pruning chore, but I want to try and add more display there in the summer, so I definitely want to add another clematis. btw, I thought Allanah is a type 3?
    My second question was whether I can add another clematis to the other pillar, which is what I showed in the photo. I do have quite a nice display there already, but I wanted your opinions on adding 1 more type 3 there.
    Also, the clems so far haven't actually climbed on the roses too much. I have wrapped wires around the pillar and that's what I tie the clematis stems onto so the stems go around. But this year the Fourth of July canes might be long enough for the Jackmanii to grab. Reagrding the pruning issue, I did have to prune the FofJ a lot last season just to contain it within the small area, but I had no problem separating it from Jackmanii. Here's a current pic, the stake near the bottom of the pillar is where the Jackmanii is, it climbs up the stake and then onto the pillar.

{{gwi:578986}}

Jeanne, thanks so much for your compliments. Your garden is grand, I enjoy all of the pics on this forum. The red ones you mention, do they get mildew or bare bottoms?

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

Climbing rosa "Uetersen" is a FABULOUS rose...and can get quite huge!!..Miguel would know more about Freckles/cirrhosas type clematis than I..I am growing Montana "Mayleen" which is a pruning group 1 as well..I do know that our warmer climates require we water more often than other climates...Miguel..can't Freckles get quite large..not as large as "Mayleen" of course...I have a humongous structure for mine to envelope...Jeanne

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Jeanne, Freckles and the other cirrhosas can get quite large. Mine has not however since I did not know whether it would be winter hardy here and therefore planted it in a pot and placed it against a south facing brick wall to serve as a heat sink for it. Works great in the cooler months but wreaks havoc in the summer.

Sachow, don't worry about not being clear. I just wanted to make sure that I was understanding what you were trying to explain. As I said previously, I am no rose experts so didn't know about climbing roses and their pruning habits. In that venue, I am a newbie! :)

As for Allanah, it is listed as a type II on COTW (linked below) and as a type II on Chalk Hill's website, and to be quite honest I have treated mine as a type III in my garden. In our zones, we could probably treat it as either and still not have an issue with it.

As for your pillar, I think either Allanah or Solina would look great and contrast with the purple one you have already on it. Huldine would also contrast nicely with it so the choices are yours. As far as having a third one on the pillar, you are definitely talking to the wrong person since I tend to cram as many plants together as possible!

Here is a picture of Allanah in my garden and the color in the picture is pretty true to its color. It is in a westerly exposure and doesn't seem to fade for me. I also have Solina but last year was its first summer in the garden so my experience with it and fading is limited.

{{gwi:578989}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Allanah

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

This will be year 3 for Clematis Solina to be in my gardens..she is planted in a Southern Exposure and gets sun all day until about 4pm..fortunately she is planted near one of my sprinkler heads so she gets her drink of water regularly...She retains her colour quite well in my gardens..wished I had newer pics of her but my computer crashed and I lost alot of great "mature" pics of her..here is one pic on my link...Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis Solina

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Oops, meant to say that Allanah is listed as a type III on the Chalk Hill website. That is what happens when you are up late at night after getting home from work and trying to type! LOL

• sachow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the pics, they are both very lovely. I was hoping to order these from Silver Star, but Debbie emailed that Solina would be available only in April, most others are available now. I really liked the color and the vigorous nature, but I'd prefer to get them asap for planting. So my revised list is

A. Huldine with Jackmanii & Fourth of July

B. with Uetersen & Freckles, my choices are quite open for now:
    1. Allanah,
    2. Mme. Edouard Andre,
    3. Westerplatte,
    4. Barbara Harrington,
    5. Ville de Lyon,
    6. Multi-blue

What are your experiences with these, do they get wilt, mildew or bare bottoms?
    My Freckles topped out at around 6 ft last year, so its not too big, but it threw out so many stems that I couldn't tie them all in.

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

I have all of those you asked about except Allanah and Westerplatte...I think you'd LOVE "Mme. Andre'","Barbara Harrington", or "Ville de Lyon"..."Multi-Blue" is a pain in warmer climates..have you check out Jerome's clematis for 6 bucks??..I don't know if he has Solina..I think I saw it on his Ebay Store...and those are 6 bucks too
    Here is his Ebay store
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg0321013217419.html?9
    and Below I will put the link for his online store Koi Garden Club

Here is a link that might be useful: Koi Garden Club

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

Sorry..wrong link for his Ebay store..I'll post below

Here is a link that might be useful: EBAY STORE

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

For a rose that doesn't get pruned and a clematis that is a type I, I would opt for a type II clematis. My reasoning is that type III clematis can get very woody if they are not pruned and the flowers would get higher and higher on the plant as the lower wood gets older and woodier in nature. One drawback to the type IIs is that they can brown out in the summer, at least they do in my garden anyway.

• sachow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info & links. Based on your comments, nckvilledudes, I have decided not to plant another clematis with Freckles, don't want to regret it couple of years on. So instead I'm thinking of annual vines or others to help hide Freckles if it get too bad ...
    I placed my order from Silver Star, Huldine to combine with Jackmanii, Multi-blue on a fence with partial shade. The main reason I decided on that one is that I'd like to try one Type II and Debbie recommended that one.
    Thanks for the Koi link, Jeanne, I emailed them too. Alas they won't ship till late April, so I might wait till fall. All the red ones you mentioned will be on my short list for that order, since they're smalller plants I'll stick to type 3. I want to try some non-climbers too, don't have any.
    My order ships today, so I'm excited!

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Let us know how it works out!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!