Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Blue clematis?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
15 years ago

I have several gorgeous purple types, but need a true blue clematis near my "blue garden" (as in delphinium blue). Electric blue would be even better than true blue, if that is possible.

I prefer type III. Haven't had much luck getting type II to bloom--I think our late spring freezes take the buds. However, I'm open to possibilities, especially if someone has tips on how to make type II clemmies bloom.

Thanks for any ideas.

Kate

Comments (8)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Kate this topic has come up many times in the past and the basic info is that there are no true blue clematis. Most of them have some purple color to them although some will bleach out in the sun to give more close to a blue color than others. Use the search feature on the forum to search for blue clematis and look at those links since those will most likely have pictures for you to see to get an idea of blue clematis. I started one of these threads and I am linking it below since I posted pictures of several bluish clematis I grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Blues

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nckvilledudes--thank you for that info. I should have known--I run into that same problem with other flowers also.

Guess I'll play it safe and plant Huldine. Maybe it will help cool off the hot July-Aug months.

Kate

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

If you're sticking to type III's, Perle d'Azur, Prince Charles and Emilia Plater are the best light blues. Will Goodwin, Blue Light and Mrs. Cholmondeley are closer to true blue in my opinion, though are type II's (though I prune Mrs. C like a type III and she performs well in z5).

For other blues (closer to indigo), look at Rhapsody and Durandii (the latter is not a climber). Both easy growers.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

While they do have some purple/lavender hues, I think any of them advised above would certainly fit in a blue garden. They would not clash with Delphiniums of light or dark blue. I have Multi-Blue planted with my delphiniums and they look fine together. Until the delphiniums croak. It is a double darker bluish type II.

Juuli is an excellent non climbing light bluish color for me. Performs best of all my integrifolias. I'm very fond of Prince Charles as well.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I might add that I was a florist for over twenty years and am very anal about colors. I don't ever call hot pinks/magentas red or lavenders/purples true blue.

I'm jealous of your delphiniums unless you were just using the term to describe real blue. LOL

• rosethyme
    15 years ago

Kate, I'm so glad Miquel showed his photo of Wisley....it is absolutely gorgeous. I think Wisely is a must have....took me awhile to find it. I got mine from Debbie at Silver Star. I think she still has it available.

Karen

• marcy3459
    15 years ago

Dublin --

Will Goodwin is marketed as a "true blue" clematis. At a previous home, I had Will Goodwin growing on an east facing garage wall. When they were in bloom, I had photographers taking pictures from the street and strangers knocking on my door asking me what the "blue" flowers were on my wall. Never had a plant get so much continual attention. I've missed them ever since. I can only hope the new owners have gotten as much pleasure from them as I did.

Marcy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for the additional feedback. I still haven't decided what I will pick for this clematis. May have to change the color scheme since even the bluest-blues strike me as more lavenderish-purplish. I already have a couple PRince Charles--love it, but again, looks lavender-mauve with a silvery tinge to me.

Buyorsell--let's say I'm "trying" to grow a blue garden featuring delphiniums--but only the mini ones (about 18 in tall). It was a big hit last summer. I also have some blue lobelia in that bed. I may have to treat the delphs as annuals, however. Will see after the snow melts what I have left.

Kate

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County