Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggestion for fast growing conifer.....

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 9, 10 at 18:28

Can someone please suggest a conifer that would grow fast for privacy?
Thinking this type of tree would be more desirable than deciduous trees....
Not sure which variety for central Illinois would grow the best for this purpose.

Thanks in advance for your input. :-)

Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggestion for fast growing conifer.....

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 9, 10 at 22:21

If not too big probably 'Green Giant' arborvitae.

o

if you were to provide any information about the project.. you might get more suggestions... like:

soil
sun available
height
width
size of yard ...
snow load issues...

etc... etc ...

a 300 foot tall redwood [though zone NOt for your zone] .. will fit the facts you provide ....

as will a 4 foot arb... depending on the circ's of your yard ...

but do understand.. that things conifers/trees never really stop growing ... and many get really.. really big ... so something that grows really fast to the height you need.. will grow right past that size and might get way too big.. way to fast in a small yard .... also.. there is a tendency for fast growing stuff to become very problematic in a fast time ...

if you have a yard that is postage stamp sized .. you might not want something as aggressive as one who has 5 acres might .... now there is an A+ sentence.. lol ..

ken

o

If you have full sun and a well-drained yard, there should be several conifer choices that would work. Eastern Red Cedar is one that is suitable for almost anywhere east of Mississippi River. Usually has cone to pyramid shape, looks good, and survives with little care. Grows about 24-30" per year down here with watering for first few years. Not sure of rate where you are. It is a native species.

o

Abies balsamea would be attractive and also different.

Dax

o
RE: Bad call

Scratch that. Too slow. Link Below
Picea omorika would be my first choice I think. It grows great in Illinois. Would make a wonderful screen. I purchase my seedlings from Treehaven Evergreen Nursery and here's his Order Form for this year. You can't get better seedlings at any price - anywhere else and his are cheap!

Here is a link that might be useful: Treehaven 2010 Catalog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here