Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsroc

Has anyone ordered from...

lindsroc
11 years ago

Www.japanesemaplesandevergreens.com? And what would I expect for size if I got a 2yr graft of something? And a 3 year cutting?

Comments (8)

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

I ordered my first few conifers and maples from them a few years ago. You can't go wrong with their prices. A few of the plants that I received weren't much to look at but young trees mostly look like sticks anyway. The roots were good and they shaped up very nicely.

Can't help you much on size as that will vary greatly depending on the plant. A first year graft will be tiny and won't look like much at all. A two year graft will look a little better and have a bit more branching.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

what would I expect for size if I got a 2yr graft of something? And a 3 year cutting?

===>> kinda hard to generalize ... some things grow like weeds.. some things are slower than molasses ...

e.g. some mini conifers.. grow one inch per year [actually they all do.. its the definition of MINI] ... so.. what.. 2 inches.. at best ... etc ...

ken

• sc77 (6b MA)
    11 years ago

I agree, really depends on the tree. But I did order from them and had a good experience. It was the only place I could find Tsuga Chinensis. I don't have any pictures from when I first got it last spring, but here is a picture of it this year. It's probably put on a few inches or so...

Here is a link that might be useful: T. Chinensis from Japanese Maples & Evergreens

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Here a picture from 2010 of one I received from them that year. It looks like it might have been a 1 year graft going on two with the new growth it put out shown in the picture.

Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead' 2010

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey garen.. is that a lightening rod wire.. grounding it ... lol..

get it.. thunderhead...

aw come on.. not much humor in conifers...

ken

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Wow, 2 yr grafts are tiny. Whats the difference between a cutting and a graft? Some of the trees say graft and some say cutting.

Garen, do you have a current pic of the tree?

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Har har, Ken. Actually keep em coming. I enjoy them.

Grafts are a small cutting called a scion from the specimen plant spliced on to the base of another compatible trees roots in order to get an exact clone of that particular plant. Growing it from seed, doesn't always look identical to the mother plant and may not have the same desirable traits. Cuttings are another way of creating a clone of a plant. A small cutting of a branch is treated with rooting hormone at the base. With the correct care the cutting will produce it's own roots. I think cuttings can be smaller at first because they are slower to start to start.

Well, that's my amateur quick explanation of it. Could have gone a lot more into it but I've got to get outside and do some planting. =)

Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead' 2013 - The few brown needles are caused from dog pee, he he. Everything gets a little of that in my yard.

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They have a 4yr graft hoopsi for $40, so would this be approx 24"? Picea pungens 'Hoopsi' 4 - Year Graft

Garen, thank you for the explanation and also for the followup pic. Looks good!