Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
topdressing soil for tsuga canadensis 'jeddeloh'

Posted by philosopher Zone 5a WI (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 11 at 15:57

hi--i have this beauty. it's about 2-3 feet across. we've had a long winter (lots of snow), and i just noticed needles browning at some of the tips of the branches. i am wondering whether our soil is too sweet or whether i should topdress with a soil acidifier. the browning could simply be due to winter burn or snowpack issues, but i guess the soil pH issue may need to be addressed either way.

i haven't ever gotten the soil tested (i know, i know), but our soil in wisconsin is full of lime. i have added lots of organic matter to the soil, but even so i wonder whether this little guy could handle some soil acidification. i remember reading that hemlocks like slightly acidic soil.

do you think the browning could be related to soil pH? if topdressing is recommended, what should i use/how much? any help/suggestions appreciated. thank you! kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: topdressing soil for tsuga canadensis 'jeddeloh'

absolutely not ...

and if you give me a nickle.. i will tell you what i really think ...

how long has it been there???

isnt it a mini .... if its been there for a decade ... why would soil be a problem now ... and if it has not been there.. you kinda forgot to tell us that in the facts ...

winter burn .. or check out the link .. sun scorch or heatwave scorch ...

is it this years new needles... which would have no winter impact.. since they werent there.. or last years.. or interior ...

ONLY a picture will change my mind...

and get a soil test.. i know.. i know... or at lest call your county extension office ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

My soil pH is in the low 7s and I grow Tsuga. This year my guess is it could have been the shock from near 100F we had earlier. Too hot, too fast after a long cool spring.

tj

o

What TJ said. BTW, soil in this state is highly variable from one section of the state to another, ranging from circumneutral where you (And I) live, to very acidic sands in some areas, and everything inbetween.

Also FWIW, the #1 tell-tale sign of a too-alkaline soil is a symptom known as 'chlorosis', a yellowish tone to foliage that should be green. Browning tips are something else entirely and most likely from those two freakish hot days a while back.

+oM

o

thank you all. yes, the browning is on the tips/new growth.

glad to know that i don't have to amend/topdress regularly.

and, yes, i will get that darn soil tested. been meaning to do so for a while.

thanks again--kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here