Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unprofessional

Recommend some interesting species to grow

unprofessional
10 years ago

Gonna order some seeds from Schumacher and I'd like to try some more interesting species. Definitely doing Pinus bungeana, but would like some recommendations for some interesting conifer species, firs especially.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

It would be awesome if they had some Pinus armandii. That one is supposed to be a superior understock for 5-needled pine.

~Dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

we can check my armandi for cones and seed ...

ken

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Ken,

I'd be interested in cones/seeds.

Pro, would you like some Abies koreana seed? I have plenty and they're commercial from the 'Gravulunde' population. I'd be interested in just a couple of your bungeana come to think of it. Just a few is fine. If I were ordering firs, I'd get some veitch fir. It's a beautiful fir. I'd probably order lasiocarpa, too. Squamata is interesting.

Others I might choose: Larix mastersiana, Picea wilsonii, Pinus peuce, Pseudolarix amabilis; now would be a good time to buy Sciadopity's and begin warm strat to correspond with starting time (after cold stratification) for next spring or indoors, late winter/anytime. Just store them in the fridge until you want to begin warm stratification.

Dax

• baxswoh
    10 years ago

Dax: Would you elaborate on the stratification process for Sciadopytis.

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

I'm also interested in Pinus armandii seed, if and when any should be available.

Jonathon, to your question about interesting species of fir to grow from seed...you may have seen this recent thread but I'll paste a link at bottom. A discussion of interesting fir species to grow, and OP was considering buying from FF.

Are you growing your own understock from seed, or are you going to grow species trees to plant out on your property?

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: Which fir?

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Basically moist sand (never dripping wet so squeeze excess water from media) or potting media but sand is best (and you can dig it right out of your yard for God's sake), and a ziplock baggie. Warms stratification is simply seed kept in your house (not the basement where it's cooler) but anywhere temps are comfortable for people and then when cold stratification is required you simply put them in your refrigerator for the recommended period of time.

It's that simple, truly.

Dax
    P.s. at F.W. Schumacher's website there's a link about all this. 'How to Treat Seed'

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

If you like them, their 80% metasequoia seed really works.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

I'd suggest acquiring some Larix marschlinsii seed, if you like larch. This one is the best, as far as I can tell, based on growth, adaptability, and winter twig color, which is golden, due to the Jap. larch parentage.

Now here's the thing; As far as I'm aware, seed for this hybrid is now exceedingly difficult to source. If I'm not mistaken, my very own plantation, which contains many of these trees, could well become the best all-around source for such seed in years to come. And yes, I'm ignoring all aspects of the F1/F2 hybrid controversy. While it's early, all indications are that the primarily F2 plants I've got are superior in all ways.

In any case, it's going to be a few years yet before serious coning takes place. But at the rate these things are growing, not all that long.

+oM

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i didnt say there were seeds out there...

i think i said.. we can look for them .. lol

appears i might have to auction them off.. lol

ken

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz