Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Second Flush on Picea Abies

Posted by greatplainsturf 6/7 OK (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 22:30

Like much ofthe Midwest, weather in Oklahoma has turned on a dime here in August. From 100's to below normal temps with rain. I noticed today that my picea abies cupressina and my birds nest spruce have bud swells and growth. Both of these had a hard time in the heat this summer. I've read on these forums before about Lammas growth. Is that what this is? How will this growth affect growth next spring? Does growth in the fall cause immature buds for the spring with reduced growth next year? Is this a good or bad thing?
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Second Flush on Picea Abies

i noticed it.. on little gem.. and on a few P. glauca ... and in weird patterns ... not the whole plant ...

all normal as far as i am concerned ... though the timing seems a bit off ...

are your hands really that red.. or is your camera somehow off???? .. maybe the macro setting for the closeup and the ambient light ...

BTW.. i dont see it on the first two pix.. just swelling buds ...

i see a lot of heat/drought damage.. water deep into fall.. consistent with your zone and soil ...

ken

o

Does this late growth affect the tree's growth for next spring. If these buds open will buds of equal vigor develop and open at normal growth time next year or will this growth use the energy causing a reduction in growth next year?

o

I have the same thing with some of my plants, Picea abies 'Gold Drift', Picea abies 'farnsburg', just to name a few. I don't really have anything else other than Picea abies that are doing a second flush. As ken said above, not the entire plant, just in select patterns.

o

Does this late growth affect the tree's growth for next spring.

==>>> i said it was normal .. so i dont know why you should worry about it.. nor what might be suggested to do about it ...

that said.. i dont know its impact on next year ...

i understand you are expanding your learning curve.. and that is why i am taking the time to tell you what i know ...

picea glauca 'rainbows end' .. is specifically known for its second yellow flush.. on an otherwise plain old green DAS ... and the dwarf alb spruce.. glauca conica ... also reflushes.. but it is the same dull green.. so its rarely noticed.. its part of its genetics..

so it might be hard to argue.. that a second flush is abnormal .. or weakens the tree for next year ...

glad you are interested.. but dont worry about it..

ken

o

See the link.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Deja grew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here