Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formandfoliage

Kudos to Dave in KS (davesconifers)

For those of you who are not, alas, members of the American Conifer Society, you are missing his article in the latest CQ on how to build a screen for tender conifers such as 'Skylands'. His comments appeared here originally but are augmented in the CQ with more detail, more photos and a really nice write up.

Good job, Dave! Keep these kinds of article coming. Nothing beats the advice of someone who has actually grown the plants.

Sara

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i cleaned the house..

i put it somewhere special.. important..

now i cant find it ... lol.. SEE!!! ... that is why house cleaning is frowned upon ...

congrats dave .. didnt know you were a rock star ....

ken

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

I had no idea Sara was going to high five me on the GW.

What's a rock star??? LOL Does an old man with dirt under his fingernails qualify?

I am just one who always enjoyed growing the green stuff. I like to pass on my success stories with those who are looking to successfully grow a special cultivar but need a little help to do it.

When I became addicted to conifers 15 years ago I started small as most do. In time, if truly committed, you expand and move to the more expensive offerings. Doing this comes with a price if you are not well informed as to each plants needs.

My first 'Skylands' I purchased was planted and I prepared myself for years of enjoyment from this cultivar. Man did it look good out there in the hot Kansas sun. Six months later it was dead. Yes it had adequate water and all the after care associated with new plantings. The sun just flat scorched the tender yellow foliage.

Deciding I wasn't going to throw in the towel I gave some thought to protection. Two years later after I finished another planting area with 'Skylands' as the featured focal point conifer I gave it another go with the addition of a simple portable screen I made that gave it the protection it needed to acclimate.

The rest of the story is in the CQ. It does work. One thing not mentioned, I leave the screen up for three years. By then it will take care of itself with plenty of new root growth laid down to make the transition to free range.

Now if any of you can tell me how to grow Abies here please return the favor and share with me what worked for you.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 10:45

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Always happy to give a shout out to someone who has good ideas! And to pump the ACS. You can join for only $38 a year and if you ask him nicely, I bet that Dave will autograph the article for free!

Here is a link that might be useful: ACS

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Now if any of you can tell me how to grow Abies here

==>>

remove fence.. add foundation ... and start glassing in the yard ... then add a giant air conditioner for night humidity ... and cooling ... maybe just a dehumidifier ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: something like this ... money is no object ...

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Dave has certainly achieved "rock star" status in my book!I've seen some of the rocks this semi-senior citizen has moved.Hes certainly a star of "stage and screening"!
    Okay ,I'm through now.......nice article,Dave.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I got busywith a kids and all so lost time dedicated to gardening in general, inlcuding renewing my membership.

For those without a membership see the link. Bam! Nice work Dave. I used this advice in some shape or form myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skylands Screening

• 123cococo
    10 years ago

Wow that great! As far as the Abies question you might want to talk to Pam at Evergreen Nursery in Ames Iowa.She is great and grows Abies in your general region. I have been able to grow Abies nordmanniana 'Golden Spreader' in full sumertime shade. Also another whose name escapes me. Both have done quite well for about five years now.Since they survived the horrible 100 degree three month drought for me I think it is quite possible for you to grow them. Both are under deciduous trees.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

The answer to growing abies successfully is well drain soil (subject to winter root rot) and the post at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Abies rootstock

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

whaas now really you should re-up. We need you and it is only $38 bucks!

Sara