Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xentar_gw

Propagation from roots?

xentar_gw
14 years ago

Has anyone ever tried propagating figs from roots? Is it a viable alternative to cuttings?

Comments (25)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

I have propagated mulberry (same family [Moraceae] as Ficus) from root cuttings. They take considerably longer because dedicated root tissues need to dedifferentiate then redifferentiate into meristematic (think 'stem cells') regions before buds/shoots can form.

Al

• xentar_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, this sounds to me like a good experiment. I just took 2 3' roots and put them each in a 3-gallon pot, and we'll wait and see what happens, if anything!

• loslunasfarms
    14 years ago

its been done. Give it a try, wont hurt and success is not that great. Not worth the hassle other than for the learning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting with Roots Experiment 1, Success

• xentar_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I put a few smaller pots with 4"-12" roots in each one as well and will report back on the success or failure when I know for sure!

• dieseler
    14 years ago

I tried it last season in laundry room and under the grow light but did not have any luck. I did run across an article that i thought was interesting and it also mentions which ones are possible in the woody plants and periennial types 3/4 down the page.

In the woody section it list ficus carica as one of them.

I might try again one day for fun.
    Best Health
    Martin

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.weekendgardener.net/plant-propagation/rootcuttings-120812.htm

• gorgi
    14 years ago

Here in (cold) NJ, I grow my figs in pots.
    Most of them are 1/4 buried in the soil for
    the roots to come out-and-graze. Comes fall,
    I severe (cut) the roots, for the pots to be
    wintered in the garage. I have NEVER seen any
    sprouts (shoots with leaves) emerging from the
    left-over roots. I also tried "potting" up a
    hand-full of thick (real) roots - and again,
    with zero (nada) good results...

Technically/most likely it COULD be done - maybe
    under some very unique labarotary conditions?

I do not recommend it for the average fig-person,
    (F.carica - root propagation), as their twigs are
    veeery much, muuuch easier to propagate...

Some other trees may be rather easy to propagate from
    roots; but in my opinion, F.carica is NOT one of them.

• gorgi
    14 years ago

Somebody, please define them (real) roots.

NOT to be confused with them "suckers" or
    any part of any "basal stump" off the tree.
    Oh yeah, these root/sprout(leaves) very easy...

• xentar_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These specific roots are just roots that were growing out of the bottom of my plant pot, and I didn't feel like it was quite time to repot the bucket. So, they were pruned off.

• gorgi
    14 years ago

In my "layman" terms, any root (say) 6-12" away
    from the F.carica basal-stump is a "real" root.
    As I said above, I observed no-hint-of-any-success.
    Nothing wrong with expermenting futher - who knows,
    one might discover the magic-silver-bullet...
    Good luck.

• posturedoc_aol_com
    14 years ago

I didn't track my results like Loslunes did, and I'm not sure how far away from the basal stump some of my roots originated (though I think some were from further away than 6") but I was able to root Violette in this manner (I know for certain this root came from just off the basal stump) and at least two other figs, though I didn't label them when I made them and won't be able to tell which fig they are until they fruit. I believe my batting average was at least 50%.

I did not baby them. After I cut them from the mother plants in late February of last year I potted them up in my regular potting mix of equal parts Turface, bark fines, pearlite and peat moss and left them in the garage with the rest of the dormant figs. When I transferred my bag-initiated fig cuttings to plastic cups in late March and put them in plastic totes, I also threw in the potted up root cuttings. As the cuttings rooted, so did most of the roots, though a couple died when I took them outside to harden off.

In my opinion of my completely unscientific methods, it's a viable way to make new plants without putting much effort into the process.

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

I know the method works as I've seen it done by an Old Timer in my area. I had posted this method on the other fig forum and was met with several doubting Georges.....I mean Thomases.

Dan

• gorgi
    14 years ago

I just expressed my honest opinion on the subject, and without
    any personal reference (to say the least) to nobody in particular...

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

I understand the doubting Thomases on this particular rooting method. And I do remember the questions and doubts that were raised by some forum members when I posted the method on the figs4fun forum. Like others, I too questioned its validity and usefulness. However, it does work and it is not my preferred propagation method.

Dan

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Just don't get it. Is there any rhyme or reason to call anybody out by name? The personal attacks are getting old I read posts to learn and enjoy, the me me me my my my has played itself out IMHO.Let it go already
    I write this with best intentions in mind and not to get into a pissing match
    Sal

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

That was a joke not a personal attack. There is a difference.

Dan

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Dan call it what you will I could have posted the exact same thing in about a dozen posts over the last 6 months those who who are members of both forums and been around a while know what I mean just look one post down bud swell and you are doing the same thing calling Al out get over it already Stop making it personal I promise I will buy your book if you stop
    Sal

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Sal,

Perhaps you did you not see or read the posts in the thread where Al choose to make it personal and attack me when he posted that he "specializes in stamping out misinformation" to information that I shared on this forum. His post followed my post where I signed my name with "Dan........specializing in the LSU bred Figs"....the stamping was directed at me. That was a real attack and was not a joke. No one complained about that real attack.

I have never filed complaints with any forum administrators for any real or perceived personal attacks. I prefer to argue my viewpoints. Sometimes you have to name names to know with whom you are arguing. With this in mind re-read the thread that you referenced.....maybe you will see it differently. There are usually two sides to every story. I will give you a signed copy of my book even if you continue to believe that I am a bad guy.....your honesty is very much appreciated.

Dan

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Dan I never said you were a bad guy or The bad guy. I just wish that the personal attacks would stop and that applies to all and not directed at you. Life is to short and there are more things going on in the world. I also hope that you will stop referring to the other forum in a disparaging way many members post on both and there is no clique as you say or I would be the first to be cast out or opt out.
    With that said I have no ill feelings towards you and your posts have been very helpful to me as well as others I'm sure. I hope this clears the air for all and I will graciously accept your signed copy with much gratitude.
    I would also like to apologize to Xentar as it was wrong of me to post this in his or her tread.
    We need to start treating each other with respect and not only on the forum, the world would be better for it and we all would benefit. If I have offended any one please accept my apology as my intention was to stop this nonsense once and for all, now it's up to the players to step up to the plate.
    Sal

• xentar_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's alright, Sal. Just send me some of your rare fig cuttings, and all will be forgiven :/

lol

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Xentar I don't know about rare but send me an email
    Sal

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Sal,

I am 100% in agreement with you. It is one thing to disagree with others....it is an entirely different matter for someone to launch a campaign with the expressed INTENT of "stamping out" other people's ideas and laughing at their posts. My ideas deserve respect too......even from "seasoned" figsters. I know how to apply science to solve problems and improve processes.....even a simple fig rooting process. Those who choose to continue to try to silence me or stamp out my ideas can expect more of the same. My preference is for mutual respect.......it needs to work both ways.

Xentar, send me your mailing address. I have some free cuttings for you.

Dan

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Dan
    You said "My preference is for mutual respect.......it needs to work both ways"
    I said " now it's up to the players to step up to the plate" At least we agree on this which is a good start.
    Let us also agree to end this as it is not the proper post
    SAl OUT

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

I sure hope the forum doesn't believe I have any express intent to stamp out any one's ideas or laugh at their posts.

In my defense: the fact is that in Dec of last year, on a thread that contains a considerable amount of misinformation, I signed my name

Al
    Specializing in stamping out misinformation.

This was sort of a tongue-in-cheek, nod and a wink response after a disagreement to the way Dan had been signing his name > "Dan ... Fig Hunter", "Dan ... Specializing in LSU Figs", .....

The questions I raised after the disagreement in that thread were never answered, but that's ok. The thing is, Dan has been using that comment to justify a continued campaign of challenge and personal attack against me, and even others, citing my pre-Christmas remark as justification. I also think that many of the comments that continue to be directed toward me and others, that were offered with no provocation, were much more biting than anything I've said, so based on the logic that 'having perceived a wrong, it's now open season on anyone I disagree with' would make it easy for me to turn the tables and follow suit - a 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander' approach, but that makes learning and examining different approaches and schools of thought difficult, and I have no interest in maintaining a personal vendetta.

I'm simply interested in seeing that the information we share on this (and other) forum(s) is accurate, and that we maintain a broad perspective and not get locked into certain ideas that often cut against the grain of what we know to be sound horticultural practices.

I don't mind if people attack my ideas or observations from a factual or scientific approach, I'm used to it. People often hold ideas and opinions tightly, and the ties that hold them to those ideas sometimes resist being loosened, even in the face of overwhelming evidence. People often resort to personal confrontation when civil debate seems too formidable an obstacle. I've been very civil and tolerant of lots of unnecessary commentary lately because I wish to remain being seen as someone who is interested in helping to make sure that the forum participants DO get good information, and not as someone with an ax to grind. I do find it objectionable though, when the attacks remain personal. Don't confront me - confront my ideas/offerings and all will be well. ;o)

Thanks for considering my perspective.

Sorry for the off-topic post, Xentar.

Al

• chills71
    14 years ago

I've had no success in getting roots to grow (at least for figs). I've cut back roots from miniscule to pencil thickness and even up to base of thumb thickness and planted them looking for something to sprout and not once have I had any luck. It might be possible, but to do so seems much more work than an air-layer (during growing season) or dormant cutting rooting (during rest of year).

Kiwis are another story as I have gotten roots to sprout new growth from them.

**off topic**

I enjoy the banter back and forth and know that we all share this passion so hopefully any comments are meant in jest. I've read advice from nearly everyone on the forum and while I file it away and have tried much of it, I take what I find useful and assume that I'm just not as good a gardener as the original poster if I can't make their ideas work. Dan and Al, I thank both of you for your continued postings. Not everything either of you offers works for me 100%, but I know that I wouldn't likely have 100 fruiting plants on 1/8th acre including too many figs to admit (my wife might be watching) without the ideas you've shared.

I wish we had another 10 Dan's and Al's passionately sharing their ideas, joking at the back and forth (as I hope we all do). Either of you are welcome to stop by my 1/8th acre of heaven in the summer and share a cool beverage (though maybe we should schedule things on different days..lol)

~Chills

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Contrary to the OPINION of some, I posted no mis-information in the above referenced Dec thread. Anyone can verify the accuracy of that information for themselves. RESULTS speak louder than theory and will overcome the rants of closed minded individuals. RESULTS are what some members desire.

That's the good thing about the application of science to any procedure........results become more predictable and can be duplicated/verified by others.

Dan
    A provider of reliable fig related information........for free!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting