Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas on field testing cold hardy gardenias.

Posted by tnangela (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 18:18

I ended up with far more seedlings than I could ever hope to fit in my little yard...somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 or so (I still have more to plant).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Is there an individual, organisation, or business out there that has the space and interest in field testing a bunch of gardenias with the interest in selecting the most cold hardy? Any one have any other ideas on what to do with this many seedlings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas on field testing cold hardy gardenias.

WOW! So many gardenias. I have never even seen a gardenia set seed before. I would love to grow some seedlings for testing, but I don't think I qualify for cold testing since I live in So Cal. I would however, also love to grow some for selecting good characteristics (perhaps better and stronger fragrance, more flower power, or more doubleness).

o

This is so awesome, I have never been able to germinate a gardenia before. Where did you get your seeds? How long it took to germinate?

Thanks for sharing.

o

Thank you all. Check this thread.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fragrant/msg0512254729036.html?3

o
Germination

About germination for gardenias. I believe they key is for the seed to be completely dry. If you plant while wet it will not germinate until the soil dries completely. Best just to let seed dry before planting as then it will germinate within a few weeks.

o
options)

1) I could dump them all in my parents yard. Don't think they'll stand for it though.
2) I could call some local companies that have fields and see if they would be interested. I've also thought about seeing if the city parks dept. might be interested.
3) There's been a new highway built near me that has some large excavated hillsides that wouldn't get mowed (guerilla gardening).

I don't think I would want to mail them...I would like to find someone interested local, as in East TN. Plus I would like to get an air layering off the most cold hardy.

o

my first thought was an arboretum. you might also contact the horticulture department at a university like tennessee at knoxville. if that is your state's land grant university, i think they should be interested. i know that auburn university has an extensive testing system for agriculture/horticulture plant development and breeding in my area (auburn, al) and also test plots scattered about the state.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here