Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrie22

A little help with tangerine marmalade please :)

corrie22
12 years ago

My grapefruit marmalade was such a hit (thank you guys!) that I'm going to try my hand at tangerines. Since the stores are loaded in them right now too.

With the grapefruit I was careful to get all of the white grapefruit pith and membranes out. But tangerine skins are so thin it's almost impossible. The first one I tore all to pieces trying to do it.

Thought I better stop and ask you guys.

How important is it to get all the pith out of tangerines? Will it make the marmalade too bitter if I just use the skins, pith and all?

If you guys know of a good recipe too, please let me know.

Thanks again, hope everyone is off to a great new year

Corrie

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

You can use the basic Citrus Marmalade recipe/instructions regardless of the type of citrus you use. It can be mixed citrus or all one kind. You just keep the measurements the same.

But yes, as included in the instructions, you want to use some of the pith - the white membrane - since that is where most of the pectin is located. Taste before jarring and add a bit more sugar if desired.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Citrus Marmalade

• corrie22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Dave!
    What I was asking is not some of the pith, but just using it all. Just basically pealing the tangerines, chopping the peel (pith and all), and doing it that way.

These are really thin skinned tangerines and trying to remove any of the pith is just tearing them up.

Thanks again
    Corrie

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Sure you can use it all. Whether that makes it too bitter for you or not is a matter of taste - thus the increase in the amount of sugar - sugar to taste before jarring. Some prefer their marm to be quite sharp in flavor.

However I personally try to remove at least 1/2 of it. Have you tried peeling whole and then scraping the inside of the rind with a sharp paring knife? A sharp potato peeler also works. And course you can always grate the inside of the peel on a fine grater and get much of it off.

Dave

• corrie22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Using a grater...now there's a trick I didn't think of!
    Thanks Dave!

I had cut the grapefruit in 1/4's, laid the skins out pith side up....and used a filet knife to filet the pith off. That worked fast on the grapefruit.

Thanks again,
    Corrie

• mellyofthesouth
    12 years ago

I don't like my marmalade to be very bitter. I used clementines one time (using pectin, I think). I zested the fruit with the microplane, then used a paring knife to finish peeling them. I think I "supremed" them by removing the flesh from the segments but it would have more body if you didn't. It was more like clementine jelly with a sprinkling of zest. Tasty though.

Now that I have an endless supply of kumquats or calamondins, I use them. You get the peel without the bitterness. I end up giving a bunch of that away since there are other flavors that we prefer when pulling a jar out of the pantry. The girls's English tennis coach was happy to get his jar.

• corrie22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Melly
    It not only set, but it's delicious. Much milder than the grapefruit marmalade, but excellent.
    I removed as much of the pith as I could.

I've still got empty jars, so I'm thinking about using up some frozen peaches and making peach preserves next.

Corrie

• mellyofthesouth
    12 years ago

Since it is orange season, how about peach jam for cold mornings? It uses peaches, an orange and some hot pepper.

• corrie22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm game! A friend is giving me a couple of buckets of Hamlin oranges next week.

What kind of peppers? and what do I do??

Thanks Melly
    Corrie

• mellyofthesouth
    12 years ago

Here's a marmalade thread that should help. It has that recipe and others. I've made the morning cheer marmalade. I don't like whiskey so I nearly gagged when I added half the optional amount. I left it out on the second batch I made. (Carrots and oranges are in season at the same time here.)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0910405430938.html

• corrie22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Melly!
    I don't like whiskey either.....

I'll let you know how this turns out.

Corrie